Tom Lees our best player?

Tom Lees has been getting some pelters on here lately. I agree he was at his best when he had Loovens alongside, I agree he must have the worst distribution of any player in the Championship, I agree he must be the quietest captain in the Championship BUT for me he's still a very steady defender, possibly even the best we've got. Is he as rubbish as some would make out or is he not bad really?

So I looked on whoscored.com to see if there was any evidence there that he'd suddenly become so poor and was actually surprised to see that (apart from the departed Fletcher and Joao) he was rated our BEST PLAYER last season, just ahead of Bannan, Iorfa and Borner.

Incidentally this also suggests:

a) 3 of our best 4 players last season were our centre-halves. Yet we've already bought another and are shopping for more.

b) Only 5 of our top 13 players from last season are still with us - the 4 above plus Harris 

c) Windass was one of our worst performing players last season (below Pelupessy)

I'm expecting people to say they only believe what their eyes tell them, rather than stats, but I'm one of those who thinks the stats might tell us something we've missed. And, in general, the stats on whoscored do seem to tally with what my eyes tell me.

our best players 19-20 season.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Guest Bulgaria

Lee's has been an excellent signing for us.

His form has dipped, but with some new faces, new coaching staff I have every confidence he will be back to his best.

Tom Lees is the least of our worries.

43 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Tom Lees has been getting some pelters on here lately. I agree he was at his best when he had Loovens alongside, I agree he must have the worst distribution of any player in the Championship, I agree he must be the quietest captain in the Championship BUT for me he's still a very steady defender, possibly even the best we've got. Is he as rubbish as some would make out or is he not bad really?

So I looked on whoscored.com to see if there was any evidence there that he'd suddenly become so poor and was actually surprised to see that (apart from the departed Fletcher and Joao) he was rated our BEST PLAYER last season, just ahead of Bannan, Iorfa and Borner.

Incidentally this also suggests:

a) 3 of our best 4 players last season were our centre-halves. Yet we've already bought another and are shopping for more.

b) Only 5 of our top 13 players from last season are still with us - the 4 above plus Harris 

c) Windass was one of our worst performing players last season (below Pelupessy)

I'm expecting people to say they only believe what their eyes tell them, rather than stats, but I'm one of those who thinks the stats might tell us something we've missed. And, in general, the stats on whoscored do seem to tally with what my eyes tell me.

our best players 19-20 season.png

Those stats cant possibly be correct, where's Rhodes on that chart??? lol

During the playoff seasons he was steady away but has been on a gradual decline since then. As the OP has pointed out his distribution is poor and he increasingly gets caught on the back foot / out of position. I'd imagine with the introduction of Dunkley will mean he will get fewer minutes this season. 

Also I'm not sure how the ranking system applies but it's pretty obvious that Fletcher was our best player by a country mile. 

The reason Tom Lees' stats aren't as bad as they could be is that he abdicates personal responsibility.

He will get rid of the ball at any cost, quite often a suicide pass across the back, causing the recipient whose probably marked, immediate problems.

Said recipient gets robbed of the ball or has to do an emergency clearance under pressure and suffers adverse stats. 

Tom Lees however, is shown to have made a successful pass, cleared his lines & escapes the negative stats.

All this is assuming he hasn't done his usual 'shuffle', lost the vital split seconds in decision making and done his trademark looping ball straight to an opponent or into the stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Always puts a shift in, just a steady reliable player with no airs or graces.  Never going to grab the headlines but you know he will do you a job.

Even the stats show he got two man of the match performances. 

Reliable player, as long as the tactics make sense. He was drastically exposed, as were the rest of our defenders under Jos. I think he's been tarnished by what happened that season by this idea that Loovens kept him in line. 

Most of Lees problems in recent seasons were what was going on in midfield in front of him. He was part of a defence which broke clean sheet records two years on the spin.

If we're recruiting CBs it's because we're playing three at the back. 

• Like 1

Didn’t we break our clean sheet record twice with Lees as a regular? 

We know he’s not a natural leader, we know he’s uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, but we also know he can defend. And with the right partner he can perform consistently well at the top end of the championship.

I do question his mental toughness though. Certainly wouldn’t want a team full of Tom lees in a relegation scrap

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Always puts a shift in, just a steady reliable player with no airs or graces.  Never going to grab the headlines but you know he will do you a job.

Regretfully he doesn’t meet our new forward looking policy requirements :-

1. He’s not young

2. He’s slow and lacks energy

3. He’s definitely not confident on the ball.

4. Not a particularly good tackler

5. He lacks vision to create openings for midfielders/ attackers.

6. He has no ‘on pitch’ leadership qualities.

7. Doesn’t appear to be highly favoured by the Manager

8. He doesn’t show any signs of being a quick thinker which inevitably slows down his distribution

i think that’s enough to highlight he needs to go as at best he will only be used as a fallback defender.

• Like 1