Soccer Saturday - LeTissier, Thompson, and Nicholas sacked by SKY

ANDY

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He can speak better English than Charlie Nicholas imo

Quite possibly, I just think he’s an idiot. 

It seems to be that all you need to get into sports media all you need is to have a been a sportsman / woman.  It sure how much training they get in delivering sentences. 

All formats eventually need an upgrade / makeover, it’s happened on QoS. 
This doesn’t feel like an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Gargoyle said:

Cashley Cole currently on Sky. Fink, wiv, futbler, why can't we have pundits who at least speak somewhere near English?

Never heard Martin Tyler say fink, fort, wiv or futbler in 30 years.

And Carragher can do one as well, you'd need a set of waterproof clothing on to sit opposite him!

Pundit’s are there as experts. Ashley Cole was the best left back of his generation, not just in England. Worldwide. I don’t think the way he speaks has an relevance at all. He’s got years of experience at the highest level, allowing him to critique what he sees to a high standard. Exactly what he’s there to do. 

Patrice Evra, Graeme Souness, Roy Keane, Jose Mourinho, Thierry Henry and many more shouldn’t be able to offer their expert opinion on a game because they don’t speak ‘somewhere near English’. 

To then go on and compare the role of a Pundit with a commentator is just plain stupid. A commentator is a professional speaker for crying out loud. 

• Like 1

Tbf, I don't think Ashley Cole's job is a pundit. 

Pretty sure he's a coach, who will occasionally be asked by Sky, BBC etc., to provide analysis on games involving Chelsea. 

Ok, so he's not the most articulate bloke on the planet, but he's not that bad. 

Can't expect every professional footballer to speak like Benedict Cumberbatch. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I can understand where you are coming from. There's just something about him in a sort of cheeky chappy mischief way that I have warned to for some reason but it can be a fine line between that and being a nobed! 

I saw an interview he did around a year or so as well when he talked about how much work he was putting into his media career and researching the teams he covers. I get the impression some aren't as attentive. 

Yeh Morrison respects and watches none premier league football unlike many other old pundits

15 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Was reading Jermaine Jenas is in the running to be a captain on Question of Sport.

Hardly an household name for a show mainly watched by old ‘uns like me

Maybe not household, but I really rate him presenting. I think he'll do well.

7 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Same, think he's the best about on BBC.

For sky if they could get Ian Wright he's got the kind of charisma where he'd do well on Soccer Saturday, but he's a fixture at the BBC so doubt he'd move

21 minutes ago, Ian said:

Le Tissier should never have been employed in the first place once he admitted to playing against the best interests of his own team to win bets

Is betting on the time of the first throw in really playing against the best interests of his team?

11 minutes ago, markowl said:

Is betting on the time of the first throw in really playing against the best interests of his team?

Not really in the spirit of the game though is it, deliberately kicking the ball out from kick-off to earn a bit on the side. 

7 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

I find him quite annoying seems to like the sound of his own voice too much and is never wrong. 

1 hour ago, markowl said:

So your own team having possession and kicking it out for a throw on purpose is in the best interests of your team is it?

Have you seen the meltdown on here if Dawson happens to find touch with a kick whilst aiming for a forward on the line.....yet you reckon it’s ok for one of the Countries  best outfield players at time to do it on purpose

Strange

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

So your own team having possession and kicking it out for a throw on purpose is in the best interests of your team is it?

Have you seen the meltdown on here if Dawson happens to find touch with a kick whilst aiming for a forward on the line.....yet you reckon it’s ok for one of the Countries  best outfield players at time to do it on purpose

Strange

I've seen you have plenty of meltdowns on here.

Just now, markowl said:

I understand that a ball going out for a throw in early in the game doesn't affect the outcome of the match.

But you carry on with your faux outrage if it makes you happy.

Your first paragraph contradicts itself. Thanks for showing how much you know