Dean Windass moves closer....

15 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Would it be the first ever time a father and son, played in the same team together, in competitive football? :ph34r:

Don't know about that but its happened in cricket - miandad 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Why ? 

if he's dragging his heels, tell him to sod off

Yeah, who does he think he is to be exploring all the options available to him in order to make a considered decision when it comes to the next few years of his career and family life, the cheeky git?

:duntmatter:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Would it be the first ever time a father and son, played in the same team together, in competitive football? :ph34r:

Did sherringham do it opposite sides or did he just miss the opportunity through injury sure it was close to happening? 

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not worth the best part of half a million, no way

What do you think half a mil gets you in terms of strikers? He’s prime age, has some champ experience, and probably capable of scoring double-figures with a full-ish season. 

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not worth the best part of half a million, no way

Windass is easily worth half a million in today's market. Wigan paid £2.5m for him two years ago, and he's not lost that much value in the meantime.

He averaged a goal every 221 minutes in the Championship last season and a goal every 156 minutes in a Wednesday shirt, so he knows where the net is, plus it seems Monk likes what he saw from him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Windass is easily worth half a million in today's market. Wigan paid £2.5m for him two years ago, and he's not lost that much value in the meantime.

He averaged a goal every 221 minutes in the Championship last season and a goal every 156 minutes in a Wednesday shirt, so he knows where the net is, plus it seems Monk likes what he saw from him.

As mentioned in the other thread, it’s a team game, and I’m not sure I saw any evidence that he could lift our fortunes Him and Rhodes would be a League One pairing, and that’s where we’d likely end up

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As mentioned in the other thread, it’s a team game, and I’m not sure I saw any evidence that he could lift our fortunes Him and Rhodes would be a League One pairing, and that’s where we’d likely end up

It's a squad game more than a team game these days, and I reckon Windass would offer a decent amount to our squad, especially for £450k.

Whether Monk sees him and Rhodes as a likely pairing, I have no idea. I expect he'll want more than just Windass in though, so he may have an idea as to how he'd like his first-choice pairing to look.

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's a squad game more than a team game these days, and I reckon Windass would offer a decent amount to our squad, especially for £450k.

Whether Monk sees him and Rhodes as a likely pairing, I have no idea. I expect he'll want more than just Windass in though, so he may have an idea as to how he'd like his first-choice pairing to look.

I see him as a squad player, if I was the manager I'd play him if others couldn't play.   He's not a bad player but he's not going to pull up any trees.  

We need better for real progress to be made.

5 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat it looks like we are going to have to pay it because options and time are running out fast.

completely agree. I find it unbelievable we are less than 2 weeks away from our first game and we still only have 1 striker. Even if we sign Windass he isn’t an out and out striker. So much business we need to do still. 

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

completely agree. I find it unbelievable we are less than 2 weeks away from our first game and we still only have 1 striker. Even if we sign Windass he isn’t an out and out striker. So much business we need to do still. 

Im not panicking just yet, I know the market is slow, we aren’t spending the money we used to and the window is open until October, but it is a little worrying how there have been no links to any strikers other than Leko and Windass (neither strikers in my book). 
Monk says work is going on behind the scenes but our need is greater than most we need to get off to a flyer this season. It’s a difficult situation because what we don’t want is just to go out and sign anybody to make up the numbers. We have to get this right.