Dean Windass moves closer....

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Would it be the first ever time a father and son, played in the same team together, in competitive football? :ph34r:

No, that icelandic bloke who played for Chelsea played in the same team as his dad for Iceland once. They weren't on the pitch at the same time though.

<edit>

Arnór and Eiður Guðjohnsen

Edited by OxonOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

No, that icelandic bloke who played for Chelsea played in the same team as his dad for Iceland once. They weren't on the pitch at the same time though.

<edit>

Arnór and Eiður Guðjohnsen

Didn't know that. Obviously been plenty of manager and player, father and sons at the same club or international team but never knew any actually played in the same team at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Positively no news :rolleyes:

I may be wrong but isn’t Windass a similar player to Brown? I can’t imagine both being in the same side. Personally as I said I think Windass is a decent player but I feel it’s a waste of a fee and wages that could be spent elsewhere. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

I may be wrong but isn’t Windass a similar player to Brown? I can’t imagine both being in the same side. Personally as I said I think Windass is a decent player but I feel it’s a waste of a fee and wages that could be spent elsewhere. 

We need capable backup for all positions. If Windass is happy to play 20-30 games including stints off the bench hes maybe worth a look. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Shows our abhorrent transfer policy if a 51 year old retired striker is our number one target ....

I see your humour: 🙂 Regarding Josh tho. Hes a target. No-one said no.1 target. Hes also the easiest for the press to guess cos Monk has said he likes him, hes played under the coaches before and he has said he wants to come + his club are looking to sell assets. 

Edited by Daizan10

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
4 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Shows our abhorrent transfer policy if a 51 year old retired striker is our number one target ....

We get to include his pension towards FFP.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Not sure if they're similar players but it would make sense to have at least one player to cover each position. Think there's more midweek games this season, squads will be tested to their limits, we just lack strength in depth in attacking areas it seems. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Didn't know that. Obviously been plenty of manager and player, father and sons at the same club or international team but never knew any actually played in the same team at the same time. 

A bit of googling

England’s Football League witnessed not one, but two father-son combos gracing the pitch as contemporaries. Alex Herd, a league and cup winner with Manchester City, played alongside son David for Stockport County on the final day of the 1950/51 Third Division North season. David would also go on to claim an English First Division and FA Cup title, but with local rivals Manchester United. 

38 years later, two-time UEFA European Cup winner Ian Bowyer, then player-manager of Hereford United, enlisted the help of his son Gary, who featured with him during the 1989/90 English Fourth Division season.    

“The first time we played together my dad was a sub and we were losing at Scunthorpe,” recalled son Gary. “He brought himself on and we came back to draw 3-3. I scored the equaliser and, looking back, I think he was the only one who didn’t come and congratulate me, because it was my fault for the first goal.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1