The Thoughts of Garry Monk

17 minutes ago, Watto said:

Until we get some strikers in I will not hold out any hope of us avoiding relegation , he can talk all he wants about the pandemic and how it's affecting all clubs .....not all bloody clubs are starting on -12 points Gary !!

Or with one striker. And a squad that doesn’t know where the goal is? 

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk will be under the microscope before the end of September not Christmas

He desperately needs results because well over two thirds of the fanbase based on a number of polls wanted Monk out.

It could only be Chansiri as Chairman who would have retained him.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

💤💤💤💤 Pochettino was fired by espanyol and fired by Tottenham. Very few managers don’t get fired throughout their career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All depends on the 12 point deduction. If that stays in place how long we wait to make a change if things don't go well. I'd expect a good start because they know we need one and new faces but the fixtures not kind to us.... I'd have the next man lined up now. Not rushed but lined up for mid November at the latest. That's me giving him till then because he's not likely to sack him before that. Staying up may entirely depend on how long he takes to sack him and who he brings in of course but the when is the key. Dithering would make it impossible for Pep to do anything. If things don't completely transform and it's hard to understand who Monk was and I'd last year was the same guy. It needs to be like someone else is in charge. If not then put someone else in charge as quick as possible BUT be PREPARED!!! No sacked him.... well okay so what's available on the scrap heap 

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I didn't listen...

... okay I've just finished listening. He's saying the right things. Found the "The new coaches aren't here because they're my friends!" retort a little odd... who was suggesting that Garry? That defensiveness makes me wonder if they are actually here because they're your mates lol 

Really like the talk about the mentality seeked though. The problem with that, of course, is that anyone can say that. Don't think I've ever heard a club encounter a football season with the manager saying "Yeah to be honest heads are low, desire is low, and we're not hopeful". It's easy to talk.

I'm gonna reserve judgement for 10 games or so. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Monk... I can forgive losses if I can see evidence of a plan/system/philosophy... the last 6 months of the season I saw no evidence of that. Him being backed in pre-season and getting his own staff in means I need to bench my concerns for a few games to see if that finally makes the difference. I'm open-minded enough to do that.

I can even forgive a poor start if we don't do overly well in the transfer market over the next few weeks and it shows in games... again, providing I can see evidence of a plan/system/philosophy. I really really hope Monk's staff additions allow us to finally see that.

I like how the arrival of a few coaches is evidence of monk being backed pre season. Bringing in coaching staff along with the new manager is the absolute bare minimum of backing and pretty standard throughout managerial appointments.

Good interview.

Everyone knows the wider landscape has changed and that we are in a particularly difficult position with the -12 pts, but i hope that the majority of fans (apart from some of the negs on here) understand that we have an important part to play. Would be great if we showed the same attitude the Wigan fans showed towards the management / team towards the end of last season when they needed them.

It sounds like we may have missed out on a couple of options that GM wanted but id still expect a couple in before the league games start.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Good interview.

Everyone knows the wider landscape has changed and that we are in a particularly difficult position with the -12 pts, but i hope that the majority of fans (apart from some of the negs on here) understand that we have an important part to play. Would be great if we showed the same attitude the Wigan fans showed towards the management / team towards the end of last season when they needed them.

It sounds like we may have missed out on a couple of options that GM wanted but id still expect a couple in before the league games start.

The problem is, the SWFC landscape hasn't changed. You can charge £40 per matchday ticket when your chasing promotion, but not when you're paying for someone else's mistakes three years ago. 

If Monk thinks he can "Manage Expectations" he's wrong.

It's a very tough ask, but we've got to hit the ground running on all four cylinders. 

Time will tell. 

Edited by Ozymandias Owl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Not listened to it yet... Any chance some of the repeats are commitment, threat, foundations, momentum etc? 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

We have inconsistent keepers

Decent Championship central defenders

Dubious quality wingbacks

Some good quality midfield players

One inconsistent winger and an out of form wide man

One ineffective and slow striker.

Good luck to Garry and his friends. You need it.

Blimey, is that what he said

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Every club in the history of football always gives out noises about how great the team spirit is and how everyone in unified like never before in pre season.

Frankly I am bored of it.

Well at least his main excuse from last season is now out of the window.

Be interesting to see where he lays the blame this season when we lose games. 

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

The problem is, the SWFC landscape hasn't changed. You can charge £40 per matchday ticket when your chasing promotion, but not when you're paying for someone else's mistakes three years ago. 

If Monk thinks he can "Manage Expectations" he's wrong.

It's a very tough ask, but we've got to hit the ground running on all four cylinders. 

Time will tell. 

I wonder what the likelihood of there being any match day tickets are this season. Personally I'd be surprised if anyone except season ticket holders get to see a game in person.

I have listened to it now, usual standard pre season footie speak, but yes, quite positive. Not sure what to read into his comments about adjusting the plan re recruitment. Is he talking about budget? 
If so, and that means less players who might be coming in, then should we really be looking for yet more centre backs? I’m not denying that another might be useful, but clearly there are other priorities. 
We have to maximise the loan allocation, so having secured Brown, we can use a further four spaces. 
If we have bid for Leko, there is money to spend, and as long as we spend that money on players who are young enough to get a return on, that’s fine by me. I would still envisage a further 5 or 6 coming in

1 hour ago, Watto said:

Until we get some strikers in I will not hold out any hope of us avoiding relegation , he can talk all he wants about the pandemic and how it's affecting all clubs .....not all bloody clubs are starting on -12 points Gary !!

Yep 2 competent strikers is the bare minimum we need to have any hope of staying up.

Surely we wont start the season with Rhodes as our only striker. Desperate times if we do.

This is his first season with players he's brought in, players he's gotten shut of & a new backroom staff so this is the time from now that we can judge him. The players seem strong, focused, fitter & upbeat so lets see eh.. We lost more than 12 points last season with last minute goals so 12 aint a lot.

57 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I have listened to it now, usual standard pre season footie speak, but yes, quite positive. Not sure what to read into his comments about adjusting the plan re recruitment. Is he talking about budget? 
If so, and that means less players who might be coming in, then should we really be looking for yet more centre backs? I’m not denying that another might be useful, but clearly there are other priorities. 
We have to maximise the loan allocation, so having secured Brown, we can use a further four spaces. 
If we have bid for Leko, there is money to spend, and as long as we spend that money on players who are young enough to get a return on, that’s fine by me. I would still envisage a further 5 or 6 coming in

That's what I've assumed he meant. He mentioned the plan was in place before the lockdown & all clubs have had to adjust their plans. I took it to mean that the lack of income for all clubs has resulted in a rethink on summer spending & offering new contracts to existing players.