The Thoughts of Garry Monk

46 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Thought he spoke well TBH. Gone from repeating things twice to repeating them three times though! Interview could have been half the length 😃 Happy at the positivity, and yes I am looking forward to it UTO

Not listened to it yet... Any chance some of the repeats are commitment, threat, foundations, momentum etc? 

We have inconsistent keepers

Decent Championship central defenders

Dubious quality wingbacks

Some good quality midfield players

One inconsistent winger and an out of form wide man

One ineffective and slow striker.

Good luck to Garry and his friends. You need it.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Pleasantly surprised then ?

I didn't listen...

... okay I've just finished listening. He's saying the right things. Found the "The new coaches aren't here because they're my friends!" retort a little odd... who was suggesting that Garry? That defensiveness makes me wonder if they are actually here because they're your mates lol 

Really like the talk about the mentality seeked though. The problem with that, of course, is that anyone can say that. Don't think I've ever heard a club encounter a football season with the manager saying "Yeah to be honest heads are low, desire is low, and we're not hopeful". It's easy to talk.

I'm gonna reserve judgement for 10 games or so. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Monk... I can forgive losses if I can see evidence of a plan/system/philosophy... the last 6 months of the season I saw no evidence of that. Him being backed in pre-season and getting his own staff in means I need to bench my concerns for a few games to see if that finally makes the difference. I'm open-minded enough to do that.

I can even forgive a poor start if we don't do overly well in the transfer market over the next few weeks and it shows in games... again, providing I can see evidence of a plan/system/philosophy. I really really hope Monk's staff additions allow us to finally see that.

• Like 2

Monk will be under the microscope before the end of September not Christmas

He desperately needs results because well over two thirds of the fanbase based on a number of polls wanted Monk out.

It could only be Chansiri as Chairman who would have retained him.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Did it sound as though he's getting the message out early that we maybe won't be doing the incoming business he was hoping for?

I'm not a GM fan but willing to give him a go with his new staff and recruits but he needs more than he currently has DC so back him and then lets judge him on his terms.

Our first competitive match is 10 days away and we still only have Rhodes as a striker (I use the term loosely)

Over to you DC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk will be under the microscope before the end of September not Christmas

He desperately needs results because well over two thirds of the fanbase based on a number of polls wanted Monk out.

It could only be Chansiri as Chairman who would have retained him.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

Not only retained him, he's doubled down on more Monks in the Monastery...

I'm on the fence again for now. We still need a striker at the very least. Let's see who comes in and how the new signings perform. I'm optimistic about the signings so far, but we "Want More".

So much is dependent on variables far removed from the match day setting. An earlier rather than late decision on our appeal would be hugely beneficial. A decision handed down of a reduction after October in our favour would be utterly useless faced with a closed transfer window and I can see Chansiri going to the courts again on the basis that the abortion of 'charge and appeal' hearing decisions will have seriously damaged our trading position.

Let us hope that we can work the oracle and get in place the final pieces of the jig-saw before the window closes. 

Until we get some strikers in I will not hold out any hope of us avoiding relegation , he can talk all he wants about the pandemic and how it's affecting all clubs .....not all bloody clubs are starting on -12 points Gary !!

• Like 1