Successful season?

1 hour ago, S6ToBerlin said:

I'd say staying up should be considered successful for the season, especially if we're showing promise of developing for the future.

Like what's really important to me is that the younger players start to find their feet well and we can see a young team starting to gel and improve together, meaning we can build on that in seasons to come and hopefully get back to challenging for promotion ASAP.

I think for that reason it's really important that we all get behind the younger kids and the new signings, even if they make mistakes at first we need to show that we're behind them as they grow and improve. Let's be realistic, we're not just gonna drop in a few 20 year olds into the team and immediately be promotion challengers, but with the right manager and coaching staff (which it's looking more like we might have now Monk's got his pals in) we could see things consistently improve from season to season. That's what I'd consider the biggest success we could ask for.

try and temper your posts a little, such optimism must be gutting to the monk back stabbers.

• Haha 1

Real success for me is winning things or getting promoted. I don't see staying up as success. However, after last seasons catastrophic second half of the season and the points deduction at the start of this, I see this as a rebuild period with a more long term approach.

For our new approach to work, we have to stay up this season, with a younger squad, more athletic and dynamic players we may be in a stronger position to compete towards the top 6 again in a year or two. At present it's about building for the future and being more sensible, an approach almost enforced upon us but an approach we should have adopted after the failed play off campaigns. 

• Like 1

don't know how anyone can be very confident going into next season.

Signed 2, that's right 2 not 8, players with championship experience and a promising youngster.

Not signed a striker, never mind 3.

No left back, no other wingers other than Harris or Reach.

But you know 3 new coaches and Monk will turn the form around from the second half of last season in a 3 week pre-season!

What would be a successful season? Promotion, seeing as though I'm constantly told Carlos failed even though we finished 6th then 4th.

Relegation even with -12 would be failure, so I suppose anywhere in between would be progress from last season!

Success for me this season would be all the players & staff being really good friends with each other.

Holding hands, smiling & looking after one another.

Playing nicely, getting along together & not having any more bloomin pesky personality clashes.

I’ve had enough of those naughty bad apples & want to see some good boys this season.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I honestly think the 12pts will be reversed or at least halved, especially since Derby got off. By that point we’ll already have taken advantage of a siege mentality and nabbed plenty of points. Also, the league looks carp this year (though I say that every season...). Playoffs for me.

Why? Derby got off for not moving the sale into the wrong year?

4 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

If the points deduction remains at -12 then we just need to ride this season out and stay up. By doing that we have real momentum to build upon next season.

There's an underdog challenge about us which some players will thrive on. We are 2nd favourites for relegation. It looks as though the penny has dropped and we are getting the infrastructure in place. It's a season to consolidate on and build upon. It's imperative we get off to a good start though.

Goals will be flying in with no forwards on the books. Wasn’t a fan of Dave but seems short sighted that we are rapidly approaching the season with so many areas not addressed.

6 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

If the points deduction remains at -12 then we just need to ride this season out and stay up. By doing that we have real momentum to build upon next season.

There's an underdog challenge about us which some players will thrive on. We are 2nd favourites for relegation. It looks as though the penny has dropped and we are getting the infrastructure in place. It's a season to consolidate on and build upon. It's imperative we get off to a good start though.

who the hell are favourites? they must be shyte if they think they will finish below Wednesday

2 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Real success for me is winning things or getting promoted. I don't see staying up as success. However, after last seasons catastrophic second half of the season and the points deduction at the start of this, I see this as a rebuild period with a more long term approach.

For our new approach to work, we have to stay up this season, with a younger squad, more athletic and dynamic players we may be in a stronger position to compete towards the top 6 again in a year or two. At present it's about building for the future and being more sensible, an approach almost enforced upon us but an approach we should have adopted after the failed play off campaigns. 

I agree with building for the future but can you build with loan signings? 

We are already struggling to get Murphy back at the club.  If we want to build then we must sign players. 

If Brown has a good season then he is going to be in demand (Hector) and will either be to expensive or the chances he will go on loan elsewhere. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
11 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Thank you.

Maybe we should bring Pressman back, or Chris Turner, or Bob Bolder, way to move forward.

Probably still better than ‘Calamity Cam’ and the ‘Wonky Wildsmith’. Would rather have Weaver in the net!!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, dorian gray said:

it seems more than one professional manager has thought so.

Wouldn’t call Jos professional and I’m starting to wonder about Monk too!!