Successful season?

Guest wilyfox

We need to improve just to stay up. That must be the baseline for our aims this season - and I think we will, providing we can sign decent strikers. We need to bring in 3 players capable of scoring into double-figures. 

1 hour ago, SwintonLad99 said:

I don't know about you guys, but i am very confident with how pre-season has gone. Signed some good young/cheap players, and Monk has brought in his coaching staff. No matter what people think of Monk, or the players they need our full support in this season to remain a championship club and build on it.

The main point, is what would you class as a successful season if we do start on -12? 

I think, if we can finish between 10th-16th that would be a successful season.

Anyway, off for a full English breakfast, thanks for taking time out of your day to read. All the best, god bless.

SwintonLad99

I agree, with new young players coming in, it may take all of this season to blend.

38 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Any manager that can't get 60+ points with this squad will likely send us down. Without much money or any strikers most managers we could afford would do well to finish 4th bottom. My expectations for this season have dropped and I'd be delighted with 4th bottom and consider it a great achievement. Key games now are against Wycombe and Toytown for me. I wouldn't expect to be beating any top teams. Its quite like the championship struggles of 2005-2010 for me where we are expected to finish bottom 6 and anything else was a bonus. 

The championship over the last several years has become very tight and teams of fairly equal quality.

Rotherham may be as hard to beat as Brentford or Norwich. We took 4 points off Leeds last season, and didn't look out of place against West Brom - should have got a better return in both games.

Having said this, -12 points is a tough handicap, and Monk will need to get the players fired up from the off as we play catch up. As long as we keep in the pack until the turn of the year I'll consider it a success.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
50 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

You really think Dawson and Wildsmith are better? Absolute muppet if you think that!

1 hour ago, SwintonLad99 said:

I don't know about you guys, but i am very confident with how pre-season has gone. Signed some good young/cheap players, and Monk has brought in his coaching staff. No matter what people think of Monk, or the players they need our full support in this season to remain a championship club and build on it.

The main point, is what would you class as a successful season if we do start on -12? 

I think, if we can finish between 10th-16th that would be a successful season.

Anyway, off for a full English breakfast, thanks for taking time out of your day to read. All the best, god bless.

SwintonLad99

One word. Survival.

If we are good enough to stay up, overturning a 12 point deficit, then I'll be confident we've turned the ship around and can push on in 2021 / 22

I'd say staying up should be considered successful for the season, especially if we're showing promise of developing for the future.

Like what's really important to me is that the younger players start to find their feet well and we can see a young team starting to gel and improve together, meaning we can build on that in seasons to come and hopefully get back to challenging for promotion ASAP.

I think for that reason it's really important that we all get behind the younger kids and the new signings, even if they make mistakes at first we need to show that we're behind them as they grow and improve. Let's be realistic, we're not just gonna drop in a few 20 year olds into the team and immediately be promotion challengers, but with the right manager and coaching staff (which it's looking more like we might have now Monk's got his pals in) we could see things consistently improve from season to season. That's what I'd consider the biggest success we could ask for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

If the points deduction remains at -12 then we just need to ride this season out and stay up. By doing that we have real momentum to build upon next season.

There's an underdog challenge about us which some players will thrive on. We are 2nd favourites for relegation. It looks as though the penny has dropped and we are getting the infrastructure in place. It's a season to consolidate on and build upon. It's imperative we get off to a good start though.

who the **** is below us?