Messi

IWEDFM

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Which 4 players are/were better than Messi then.

1. Maradona 

2. Pelé 

3. Zidane 
Arguably 4. Cruyff

Arguably 4. Brazilian Ronaldo 
Arguably 5. Ronaldinho 

Arguably 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 

and I don’t think I’m being unreasonable with that list. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

1. Maradona 

2. Pelé 

3. Zidane 
Arguably 4. Cruyff

Arguably 5. Ronaldinho 

So potentially Ronaldo and Messi 6th and 7th 

Monkmanface

8 hours ago, shandypants said:

1. Maradona 

2. Pelé 

3. Zidane 
Arguably 4. Cruyff

Arguably 5. Ronaldinho 

Brazilian Ronaldo is my favourite player of all time (easily) but you can't put him ahead of Messi.

Had it not been for his injury he would most likely be sitting top of the list with few arguments. As it is, he just wasn't able to perform to the level of a 'greatest of all time' for long enough.

I don't understand how anyone can put Ronaldinho above Messi either.

7 hours ago, dobbo said:

Brazilian Ronaldo is my favourite player of all time (easily) but you can't put him ahead of Messi.

Had it not been for his injury he would most likely be sitting top of the list with few arguments. As it is, he just wasn't able to perform to the level of a 'greatest of all time' for long enough.

I don't understand how anyone can put Ronaldinho above Messi either.

I didn’t definitely put Ronaldinho above Messi, I just said he’s arguably bettter than Messi. 

2 hours ago, Owl.1867 said:

The way some people go on about the players Messi has played with to detract from him you'd think Maradona and Ronaldo play(ed) with pub players, rather than some of the top players around.

If you play with better players you play better yourself. 

With respect to Maradona, I believe it is widely acknowledged that he played alongside “average” players for the most part at Napoli and at international level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

I didn’t definitely put Ronaldinho above Messi, I just said he’s arguably bettter than Messi. 

Even Ronaldinho doesn't argue that's the case! 

28 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Even Ronaldinho doesn't argue that's the case! 

He’s hardly going to argue the case for is he? But still, take him out of my list and there’s still six others - three that I think are better and three I think are arguably better. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He’s hardly going to argue the case for is he? But still, take him out of my list and there’s still six others - three that I think are better and three I think are arguably better. 

Ronaldinho said he wasn't even the best player at Barcelona when he was said to be the best in the world around 2004-06, before Messi had really got going.

Trying to get back to the subject of the thread, notice you haven't answered any of this yet,

Tell me about the strength of the Barcelona squad relative to the best teams in Europe when their aim is to continually be number 1. Tell me about the way they play, their current philosophy and the balance of the team.

Tell me about how much money they have spent since 2015 and how well those signings have worked out.

I'm not a big Messi fan to be honest.

Incredible stats at one club, and obviously a very, very good player.

I believe Cristiano Ronaldo is better. Success with three of the biggest clubs on Europe,  and an international record that is better than Messi's.

I can only go by players in watching lifetime but my greatest ever top 5 would be

1. Maradona 

2. C.Ronaldo

3. Zidane 

4. Ronaldo

5. Maldini 

Outside that, Johan Cruyff 's contribution to the football world is amazing.  The best player in the world in the mid 70's , a serial winner at Barca and Ajax, a serial winner as a manager, and the architect of the modern Barcelona model.  

• Like 1