Apparently we've had a match v Barnsley

Not a great result for the development boys, but looking at the squad, it perhaps doesn’t surprise me

Incidentally, assuming Monk identifies transfer targets for the first team, or at least has a role in that, who identifies targets for the development squads?

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not a great result for the development boys, but looking at the squad, it perhaps doesn’t surprise me

Incidentally, assuming Monk identifies transfer targets for the first team, or at least has a role in that, who identifies targets for the development squads?

Maybe Bully now ?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, although their has to be some coordination with the first team set up, as they’re not a separate entity

You would hope it was a combination of both first team and academy coaches plus the scouting department.

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

You would hope it was a combination of both first team and academy coaches plus the scouting department.

Yes true The other thing I’d like to see, is Wednesday treating the U23 games as more of a reserve team. I know there are limitations on overage players, only 4 I believe, including the keeper, but rather than have players sat around getting no game time, we should let them play in these games. Sure we do try to arrange behind closed door friendlies, but they are so infrequent, and with a packed schedule this year, they will become more so. For example, if we go with Wildsmith next season, then Dawson should alternate with Render, so he can remain sharp. Yes it squeezes Jackson out, but there will be a lot of times when Dawson is needed, or games might overlap, so he’ll get his chances. Better still, send Jackson out on loan, so he gets regular game time. Sometimes I think it has been used as a punishment, making senior players turn out for the U23s, making it feel degrading. We have to get away from that, and these games should be seen as preparation for the first team. At least we have started doing it the other way as well, by involving development players in first team training. All that is useful for making players feel part of the set up. One thing that should never be done in my opinion, is to ever have less than our quota on the first team substitutes bench Really pees me off when we do this, when we can involve one of the youngsters and give him a taste of first team participation

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes true The other thing I’d like to see, is Wednesday treating the U23 games as more of a reserve team. I know there are limitations on overage players, only 4 I believe, including the keeper, but rather than have players sat around getting no game time, we should let them play in these games. Sure we do try to arrange behind closed door friendlies, but they are so infrequent, and with a packed schedule this year, they will become more so. For example, if we go with Wildsmith next season, then Dawson should alternate with Render, so he can remain sharp. Yes it squeezes Jackson out, but there will be a lot of times when Dawson is needed, or games might overlap, so he’ll get his chances. Better still, send Jackson out on loan, so he gets regular game time. Sometimes I think it has been used as a punishment, making senior players turn out for the U23s, making it feel degrading. We have to get away from that, and these games should be seen as preparation for the first team. At least we have started doing it the other way as well, by involving development players in first team training. All that is useful for making players feel part of the set up. One thing that should never be done in my opinion, is to ever have less than our quota on the first team substitutes bench Really pees me off when we do this, when we can involve one of the youngsters and give him a taste of first team participation

Come the end of the season it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the under-23 lads down in Loughborough are established first team/first team squad members. Totally expecting big seasons for Hunt and Shaw plus lack of options in certain areas could see Waldock and Hagan emerge sooner than expected?

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Come the end of the season it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the under-23 lads down in Loughborough are established first team/first team squad members. Totally expecting big seasons for Hunt and Shaw plus lack of options in certain areas could see Waldock and Hagan emerge sooner than expected?

That's my tea ruined then. Thanks for that nightmare.lol

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agree with you there, if players aren't out on loan they still need to keep match fit somehow, just having training sessions isn't enough.

4 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

That's my tea ruined then. Thanks for that nightmare.lol

It could easily be but some youngsters forcing there way in and establishing themselves as important players is long overdue here? Monkmanface

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

It could easily be but some youngsters forcing there way in and establishing themselves as important players is long overdue here? Monkmanface

That’s it, but I want to see them force their way into Monk’s thinking, not just played because we haven’t got anyone else That’s why I’ve always been against clogging up the squad with ageing journeymen, and certainly don’t subscribe to “ he’s OK, it’s all we can afford, and he can be back up” comments

In terms of player recruitment, I don’t believe we should be signing players who are no better than what we have, or had, unless they are a promising youngster who we can develop It used to infuriate me, when we were duplicating thirty somethings for every position

Edited by gurujuan