Jump to content

Season Cancelled Half Way - Positions to Stand


Recommended Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/24/premier-league-prepare-plan-if-covid-19-ends-2020-21-season-early

 

"Premier League clubs will be presented with a resolution to accept the standings as final if Covid-19 forces next season to a halt with at least 50% of fixtures played. The plan, described by insiders as a worst-case scenario, is being pursued in the hope of preventing acrimony around how to determine final positions if coronavirus renders completing the campaign an impossibility."

 

So if the same was implemented in the Championship, where would that leave us with a 12 point deduction? Would it be reduced to 6 points if the season was cancelled on 23 games, or would it stand on 12?

 

Another can of worms...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, acquiescefc said:

yes it has to. there would be unmasked riots if they kept it at -12 to be reversed in half the time

 

Steve Gibson would have the mother of all meltdowns. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, acquiescefc said:

yes it has to. there would be unmasked riots if they kept it at -12 to be reversed in half the time

It’d be interesting to see what would happen if we had turned over the deficit by that point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shandypants said:

It’d be interesting to see what would happen if we had turned over the deficit by that point. 

well its a matter of position then.  if we finished 4th bottom after 50% of season the club would argue it should be -6 therefore higher position.

 

Nice dream tho

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, acquiescefc said:

well its a matter of position then.  if we finished 4th bottom after 50% of season the club would argue it should be -6 therefore higher position.

 

Nice dream tho

We’d probably just be better off to accept the -12 if we’d turned it over quickly. It’d save on the legal costs. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shandypants said:

We’d probably just be better off to accept the -12 if we’d turned it over quickly. It’d save on the legal costs. 😊

Im sure we can look back at this thread and say 'What If' and do a Del Boy-esque shrug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, acquiescefc said:

Whats the point if we dont. It would be American Football if they didnt

 

I wouldn't think that clubs who were relegated would be happy going down when only 50% of that games had been played.  Especially if it was on goal difference.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

To turnover a 12 point deduction in half a season would take playoff form.

 

Survival for a season is circa 50 points, so therefore for half a season 25. Meaning we would need to pick up 37 points in 23 games, which works out as 74 for the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

I wouldn't think that clubs who were relegated would be happy going down when only 50% of that games had been played.  Especially if it was on goal difference.  

But its the whole point of the ruling. 50% played, results will stand.  Normal season rules apply to Promo and Rel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, acquiescefc said:

But its the whole point of the ruling. 50% played, results will stand.  Normal season rules apply to Promo and Rel.

 

I know what the point is, but what clubs say now and what they say in six months time might well be very different.  I would think there will be a few clubs trying to chuck a spanner in the works before this gets accepted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

I wouldn't think that clubs who were relegated would be happy going down when only 50% of that games had been played.  Especially if it was on goal difference.  

 

Surely there would be issues with games in hand too. Might affect how seriously teams take the cup competitions early on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

I know what the point is, but what clubs say now and what they say in six months time might well be very different.  I would think there will be a few clubs trying to chuck a spanner in the works before this gets accepted. 

The rules will be extensive, to cover the same situations as a regular season, this is the point.  You are just reading into the headline.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be the standings at halfway if more than 50% have been played or say 2/3 have been played and it stops that's where you finish? So you will have played some teams twice and others once? Or will they say we go back to the standings at 50% ie we would have been 3rd the season just gone? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s so full of holes I can’t imagine them ever going with this.

 

using extremes to prove the point imagine the league is coming to a close with the title and third relegation place yet to be decided....2 teams can go down, the 3rd bottom team has 30 points, 4th bottom has 31

 

4th bottom has Liverpool, Man City and Man United to play all 

 

3rd bottom has the bottom two and a Mid table team with nothing to play for left
 

it’s goes against all the fundamentals of a league system to go with the table as it stands

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hotten Owl said:

So if the same was implemented in the Championship, where would that leave us with a 12 point deduction?

 

It depends on whether they would go for:

 

A - Halfway position is final position

B - Points per game extrapolated

C - Points per game extrapolated, with -12 taken in to account (0.26 points be game deducted per match).

 

The EPL has no such issues as no club is starting with a points deduction, so doesn't need to worry about such things.  The Championship has one club on -12, and if there was a vote  then 23 clubs may decide that Scenario A or C is better for the Championship.

 

My opinion is that it'd be better if the EFL got rules in place in advance of any potential issues, and would be good for any future event too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...