Season Cancelled Half Way - Positions to Stand

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/24/premier-league-prepare-plan-if-covid-19-ends-2020-21-season-early

"Premier League clubs will be presented with a resolution to accept the standings as final if Covid-19 forces next season to a halt with at least 50% of fixtures played. The plan, described by insiders as a worst-case scenario, is being pursued in the hope of preventing acrimony around how to determine final positions if coronavirus renders completing the campaign an impossibility."

So if the same was implemented in the Championship, where would that leave us with a 12 point deduction? Would it be reduced to 6 points if the season was cancelled on 23 games, or would it stand on 12?

Another can of worms...

Just now, shandypants said:

It’d be interesting to see what would happen if we had turned over the deficit by that point. 

well its a matter of position then.  if we finished 4th bottom after 50% of season the club would argue it should be -6 therefore higher position.

Nice dream tho

Just now, acquiescefc said:

well its a matter of position then.  if we finished 4th bottom after 50% of season the club would argue it should be -6 therefore higher position.

Nice dream tho

We’d probably just be better off to accept the -12 if we’d turned it over quickly. It’d save on the legal costs. 😊

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

I wouldn't think that clubs who were relegated would be happy going down when only 50% of that games had been played.  Especially if it was on goal difference.  

But its the whole point of the ruling. 50% played, results will stand.  Normal season rules apply to Promo and Rel.

Just now, acquiescefc said:

But its the whole point of the ruling. 50% played, results will stand.  Normal season rules apply to Promo and Rel.

I know what the point is, but what clubs say now and what they say in six months time might well be very different.  I would think there will be a few clubs trying to chuck a spanner in the works before this gets accepted. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I wouldn't think that clubs who were relegated would be happy going down when only 50% of that games had been played.  Especially if it was on goal difference.  

Surely there would be issues with games in hand too. Might affect how seriously teams take the cup competitions early on. 

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I know what the point is, but what clubs say now and what they say in six months time might well be very different.  I would think there will be a few clubs trying to chuck a spanner in the works before this gets accepted. 

The rules will be extensive, to cover the same situations as a regular season, this is the point.  You are just reading into the headline.

Would be the standings at halfway if more than 50% have been played or say 2/3 have been played and it stops that's where you finish? So you will have played some teams twice and others once? Or will they say we go back to the standings at 50% ie we would have been 3rd the season just gone? 

It’s so full of holes I can’t imagine them ever going with this.

using extremes to prove the point imagine the league is coming to a close with the title and third relegation place yet to be decided....2 teams can go down, the 3rd bottom team has 30 points, 4th bottom has 31

4th bottom has Liverpool, Man City and Man United to play all 

3rd bottom has the bottom two and a Mid table team with nothing to play for left

it’s goes against all the fundamentals of a league system to go with the table as it stands

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hotten Owl said:

So if the same was implemented in the Championship, where would that leave us with a 12 point deduction?

It depends on whether they would go for:

A - Halfway position is final position

B - Points per game extrapolated

C - Points per game extrapolated, with -12 taken in to account (0.26 points be game deducted per match).

The EPL has no such issues as no club is starting with a points deduction, so doesn't need to worry about such things.  The Championship has one club on -12, and if there was a vote  then 23 clubs may decide that Scenario A or C is better for the Championship.

My opinion is that it'd be better if the EFL got rules in place in advance of any potential issues, and would be good for any future event too.

• Like 1