Name 1 Keeper & 2 Strikers We Should Sign & Can Afford

Would like to see Dillon Phillips. Contract is up in a year, 24, has played some very good games. 126 Saves this season more than any other keeper in the championship.
No clue about anyone else though, I think ill be optimistic if we bring in a fullbacks / wing-back as well as 2 strikers and a goalkeeper.

• Like 1

Happy to give Dawson/Wildsmith another year under the new coaching setup then change if necessary (I'm old enough to have seen both Chris Turner and Bob Bolder have horrendous spells for which they were rightly dropped and come back much stronger for it).

As far as strikers go, sure Monk will have a list of targets that will fit his system of play and happy to leave him to it.

• Like 5

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Hunter said:

Would like to see Dillon Phillips. Contract is up in a year, 24, has played some very good games. 126 Saves this season more than any other keeper in the championship.
No clue about anyone else though, I think ill be optimistic if we bring in a fullbacks / wing-back as well as 2 strikers and a goalkeeper.

I like him too. Excellent keeper 

4 hours ago, owlsruleok said:

IMO and others may disagree we should keep Westwood and try to sign Nahki Wells from B City & Jacob Brown from Barnsley. We will more probably go for loan signings instead but it will be interesting seeing other opinions. 

Bristol City’s main striker Nakhi Wells, who they only signed in January? 🤔🤔🤔 We can afford him? News to me.

There’s no keeper available within our price range who I’d rather sign at the expense of two young keepers here who aren’t even close to hitting their peaks and, if we’re patient with at least one of them, we could end up having an incredible GK on our hands, especially if they’re now working with a new GK coach who’s meant to be big on new ideas, freshening things up etc. Having two young goalies he can mould will be like Christmas for him.

You’ve got to remember that Dawson came in under a lot of pressure under the shadow of Westwood, no one wanted him in goal and I imagine he felt that. For me, Wildsmith is probably the better keeper. He showed mistakes last season but who doesn’t? That’s the first amount of regular football he’s had in YEARS after a lengthy spell out with injury also. Give him the number one jersey and the confidence that comes with that. 

Playing with the game tho. Dillion Phillips seems a good option tbh but Charlton would never sell to us in a month of Sunday’s. Karl Darlow another but his wages would be a massive stumbling block I’d imagine, even if it’s just on loan.

Strikers. I think we need at least one big guy to replace Fletcher/Nuhiu. I think we’d be missing a trick in not signing Rudy Gestede on a free.  Him and Rhodes have shown a fruitful partnership before - 43 goals between them in one season. Monk is apparently keen to look at Rhodes one more time, and if Beattie can inject confidence back into his game then I’m all for building a team around him and bringing him a strike partner that he loved playing with. Seemingly they brought the best out of each other. 

Windass seems all but a done deal and I’d be happy for Leko to be the fourth striker we need or another young prem loanee who’s keen to make a mark. 

• Like 6

I think GK is just as crucial as bringing in forwards. I can imagine that Dawson and Wildsmith are probably impressing Flahavan in drill training. It tends tombs game situations where their faults are highlighted. If Westwood is not to be used for whatever reason then we DEFINITELY need a new #1. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Without knowing the budget its difficult to answer, and the availability of players. 

However seeing as Martin is on a free he would be worth looking at, 

My ideal signing would be Vardy and yes it would be difficult financial wise but if he was available I would make him first choice, and given his age and his clear love of the club I suspect a deal could be done. 

Other choice would be Gayle dependent on how much Newcastle would subsidise his wages if they loan him out again. 

Whoever we sign it's the most important position to get right, we saw last season a fully fit decent forward makes the differance between top six at Christmas and a descent to relegation battle other factors accepted. 

Vardy? And we wonder why other fans call us deluded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Without knowing the budget its difficult to answer, and the availability of players. 

However seeing as Martin is on a free he would be worth looking at, 

My ideal signing would be Vardy and yes it would be difficult financial wise but if he was available I would make him first choice, and given his age and his clear love of the club I suspect a deal could be done. 

Other choice would be Gayle dependent on how much Newcastle would subsidise his wages if they loan him out again. 

Whoever we sign it's the most important position to get right, we saw last season a fully fit decent forward makes the differance between top six at Christmas and a descent to relegation battle other factors accepted. 

Comments like this scare me. 

Drink? Drugs? Or are you 11?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Nahki Wells cost Bristol City £5m. How is he 'affordable'? 

We are just about over any restraints in spending and prices have supposedly come down and we are offloading players off the wage bill, I can only hope.

5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I’d keep Westwood too but if not Etheridge is available I believe.

Leko and Chris Martin up top.

Agree on Martin hes a real handful and maybe the experience we need with a younger striker whoever that may be.