Wednesday vs West Brom 20 August 1960

Celebrating my 60th Birthday this weekend I was sent the attached programme from our opening day of the 1960/61 season.  Fascinating content including the debenture offer to fund the new North Stand.  Also that the West Brom team included both Bobby Robson and Don Howe, both of whom went on to be pretty impressive managers!

Believe we came second in the first division that season .. better times.  I went to my first match in 1966 at beginning of the 66/67 season and earliest match memory is beating Man U 5-4 in 1968.

8C1244A1-4BA6-4173-B8CD-E7BDED717EA5.jpeg

11D7F17F-4827-4C77-A2CD-CC0F15CF02DA.jpeg

9BF708C2-157E-4EE9-B95E-6D762D2B7EC1.jpeg

A52246A0-2FB3-4578-A6FE-4C10BF99AFDC.jpeg

• Like 9

We were sat on the second row of the North Stand.  I remember the game and the crowd on the kop.  I was taken by a neighbour who was the night editor of the Star as my dad worked on Saturdays.  Dad took me to night matches until we were allowed to go on our own Aged 9 or 10!  First Season Ticket was the 70/71 season in Div 2.

Makes interesting reading, things have obviously developed a lot since then when quaint concepts such as the club chairman planning to invest in the clubs infrastructure to build for the future and adverts in the programme for real businesses selling real products that the people of Sheffield could buy seemed to be the thing. Obviously 60 years on we can look back with the benefit of hindsight and know that rather than mess about with all that they should just have sold the old ground to themselves for an inflated price and run advertising for companies that don’t trade...so much easier than working hard and trying to run the club properly.

Edited by kobayashi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

it is mate 

lol

Saw DH at a charity concert last December along with some incredible others including Bruce S, James Taylor, Sting and the Eurythmics.  On leaving I asked my wife who she was most impressed to have seen ... straight away she said ..Blondie 

• Like 1

That was the only home game I missed that season.  My parents dragged me to Filey on holiday. 

Yes, for years I thought we were founded in 1866.  Dunno why it took so long to correct it.  With Notts Co and chesterfield out of the league, there's only Forest and Stoke older.  

35 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

That was the only home game I missed that season.  My parents dragged me to Filey on holiday. 

Yes, for years I thought we were founded in 1866.  Dunno why it took so long to correct it.  With Notts Co and chesterfield out of the league, there's only Forest and Stoke older.  

Am I correct in thinking the stoke date is unproven and is just an estimated date (same as chesterfield) ?