Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just this minute finished talking to a customer that came into our shop...he's a pom & we started talking about football, he told me he was a mad Preston fan & was at the game when Dooley broke his leg, he can remember it like it was yesterday due to the sound it made.

 

It kinda reminded me of when Ian Knight broke his leg, I can remember that sound as well, spine chilling I'd call it....but to talk to someone who actually witnessed Dooley's was surreal, nice to talk to an old school guy about the old time greats such as Tom Finney who was playing that day at Preston...I've invited him to call in anytime to talk about football.

 

Edited by qantas
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For someone who has suffered a double leg break (coincidentally just had another operation to fix it this week which explains me being awake at 4:30am) it’s quite fascinating to read about how it got infected and relating that to why the consultants ‘silly obsessive post op questions’ aren’t so silly. Being constantly asked if I can move my toes every few hours, and prior to the op asked if I’ve got ANY cuts or scratches that need noting of.

 

Infections can be scary things though and, even if Dooley broke his at a time where medicine was more advanced, it still just may have happened due to how innocuously he picked up the infection through turf on the pitch getting into his wound. It’s enough to keep me awake at night. Read about an NFL player as recently as 2018 who nearly lost his leg, and maybe his life. A broken leg similar to Dooleys and picked up an infection which caused flesh eating bacteria. In the end he lost ALL of the muscle in his leg and had a muscle transfer. And what caused the infection itself? A piece of his dirty football sock got into his wound. Mental.


The sound of a leg breaking is quite chilling, seeing Andre Gomes’ suffer one live on tv most recently. Quite remarkable how some players recover so quickly now and how far medicine has come though. Gomes was back playing the same season. Others are out for the season or even more. For some, they never play the same again and others, like Dooley, forced to retire and it completely changes their life. 
 

I know it’s just a saying when people tell players to go into tackles hard and ‘break his legs’. And I’m absolutely 100% all for full blooded challenges and hate how many great challenges are pulled up for being too hard even if the ball is won. But I’d like to think that no player genuinely goes into a tackle wanting to break the other players leg.

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, qantas said:

 

Central Coast NSW Australia...🙃

 

Did you go and see big Usain Bolt when he trained with the Mariners?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, qantas said:

 

Central Coast NSW Australia...🙃


what’s it called; I’ll pop in next time I’m travelling the world. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

What do you sell..surfboards??

Shrimps and BBQs.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

For someone who has suffered a double leg break (coincidentally just had another operation to fix it this week which explains me being awake at 4:30am) it’s quite fascinating to read about how it got infected and relating that to why the consultants ‘silly obsessive post op questions’ aren’t so silly. Being constantly asked if I can move my toes every few hours, and prior to the op asked if I’ve got ANY cuts or scratches that need noting of.

 

Infections can be scary things though and, even if Dooley broke his at a time where medicine was more advanced, it still just may have happened due to how innocuously he picked up the infection through turf on the pitch getting into his wound. It’s enough to keep me awake at night. Read about an NFL player as recently as 2018 who nearly lost his leg, and maybe his life. A broken leg similar to Dooleys and picked up an infection which caused flesh eating bacteria. In the end he lost ALL of the muscle in his leg and had a muscle transfer. And what caused the infection itself? A piece of his dirty football sock got into his wound. Mental.


The sound of a leg breaking is quite chilling, seeing Andre Gomes’ suffer one live on tv most recently. Quite remarkable how some players recover so quickly now and how far medicine has come though. Gomes was back playing the same season. Others are out for the season or even more. For some, they never play the same again and others, like Dooley, forced to retire and it completely changes their life. 
 

I know it’s just a saying when people tell players to go into tackles hard and ‘break his legs’. And I’m absolutely 100% all for full blooded challenges and hate how many great challenges are pulled up for being too hard even if the ball is won. But I’d like to think that no player genuinely goes into a tackle wanting to break the other players leg.

 

 

Had a double fracture of my left arm playing football and as you say the sound of the crack when it breaks is something you never forget 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i remember it so well. I went to my first match in nov 52, and Dooley was the big hero. Lived near my grandparents at Firth Park. Broke his leg in feb 53. Collided with Preston goalie George Thompson from Laughton, near Dinnington. They'd made arrangements to bring Dooley back to Sheffield by ambulamce, on the monday, when a nurse noticed on sunday night, he couldnt feel his toes. Had to amputate the entire leg to save his life. I followed the whole story in The Star, horrified. I'd just had my tonsils out at the Infirmary too, and i'd still got the smell of that gas they used to give you, in my nostrils, which made the pictures of him in bed more horrific for a 7 year old.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

For someone who has suffered a double leg break (coincidentally just had another operation to fix it this week which explains me being awake at 4:30am) it’s quite fascinating to read about how it got infected and relating that to why the consultants ‘silly obsessive post op questions’ aren’t so silly. Being constantly asked if I can move my toes every few hours, and prior to the op asked if I’ve got ANY cuts or scratches that need noting of.

 

Infections can be scary things though and, even if Dooley broke his at a time where medicine was more advanced, it still just may have happened due to how innocuously he picked up the infection through turf on the pitch getting into his wound. It’s enough to keep me awake at night. Read about an NFL player as recently as 2018 who nearly lost his leg, and maybe his life. A broken leg similar to Dooleys and picked up an infection which caused flesh eating bacteria. In the end he lost ALL of the muscle in his leg and had a muscle transfer. And what caused the infection itself? A piece of his dirty football sock got into his wound. Mental.


The sound of a leg breaking is quite chilling, seeing Andre Gomes’ suffer one live on tv most recently. Quite remarkable how some players recover so quickly now and how far medicine has come though. Gomes was back playing the same season. Others are out for the season or even more. For some, they never play the same again and others, like Dooley, forced to retire and it completely changes their life. 
 

I know it’s just a saying when people tell players to go into tackles hard and ‘break his legs’. And I’m absolutely 100% all for full blooded challenges and hate how many great challenges are pulled up for being too hard even if the ball is won. But I’d like to think that no player genuinely goes into a tackle wanting to break the other players leg.

 

 

You might like to think that but when you read some of the stuff players write (thinking Roy Keane) or watch some of the stuff they do on TV (take a log at Bennett on Ian Knight) you sadly have to conclude otherwise.

 

Incidentally how did you break your leg?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

You might like to think that but when you read some of the stuff players write (thinking Roy Keane) or watch some of the stuff they do on TV (take a log at Bennett on Ian Knight) you sadly have to conclude otherwise.

 

Incidentally how did you break your leg?

That really disturbs me to be honest. I’m not even an athlete and it truly can be most horrific injury. Especially when you look at Knight and Haland who had to retire on the back of theirs.

 

And I’ve got so story to tell really. I was just walking and my leg snapped from under me. I remember the guy in A&E saying it’s one of the worst he’d ever seen. Nearly two years ago and just had my fourth operation to fix it. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

That really disturbs me to be honest. I’m not even an athlete and it truly can be most horrific injury. Especially when you look at Knight and Haland who had to retire on the back of theirs.

 

And I’ve got so story to tell really. I was just walking and my leg snapped from under me. I remember the guy in A&E saying it’s one of the worst he’d ever seen. Nearly two years ago and just had my fourth operation to fix it. 

 

Interesting posts. I’m not sure of these things but surely for infection to get in, the break has to be a compound type fracture, where the bone breaks through the skin, for infection to get in?

 

Im assuming both yours and Dooleys breaks were these type. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Womble Owl said:

Any jobs going, and do you offer a relocation package? 

No but they are paying travel expenses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mick Prendergast also broke his leg in a clash with the keeper at Preston.

 

I think it was a Good Friday match, because we played Preston again, at home, a few days later and the “ooooooooooooo, barsteward” chant when a keeper take a goal kick was born.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

That really disturbs me to be honest. I’m not even an athlete and it truly can be most horrific injury. Especially when you look at Knight and Haland who had to retire on the back of theirs.

 

And I’ve got so story to tell really. I was just walking and my leg snapped from under me. I remember the guy in A&E saying it’s one of the worst he’d ever seen. Nearly two years ago and just had my fourth operation to fix it. 

 

Sorry to hear that FO. Wishing you all the best with your recovery. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M Royds said:

Interesting posts. I’m not sure of these things but surely for infection to get in, the break has to be a compound type fracture, where the bone breaks through the skin, for infection to get in?

 

Im assuming both yours and Dooleys breaks were these type. 

Dooleys was a compound fracture as was the NFL players who I mentioned

 

Mine luckily wasn’t 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Dooleys was a compound fracture as was the NFL players who I mentioned

 

Mine luckily wasn’t 

 

I don't think Dooley's was a compound fracture. From what I read it was a fairly simple one and they were getting ready to return him to Sheffield which they wouldn't have done with anything more serious.

 

His I think was caused by an earlier injury during the game which had slightly cut the skin on the back of his leg. No injections back then, of course, and when some dirt got into it it caused the infection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...