Most nervous penalties as a Wednesday fan

5 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Sheridan against oldham 1990, we got 2 pens in one match....I shìt ye not.....still didnt win....against Oldham and drew 2-2.

Their keeper, I forget his name, had one of those games, he didn't even know how he was saving them himself.

Chris waddle missing against wolves in a f.a cuo replay . I remember that making me cry . And obviously forestieri against huddersfield ... missed my train back to Southampton that night cost me 180 for Airbnb .... Great being a wednesday fan hey lol .wawaw

• Haha 1

MacLean penalty in 2005 playoff final had so much riding on it. Had that not crept in, who knows where we would be now.

Hudds playoff semi pens was a nervous affair but we didn’t look confident from the start, we were rattled.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Has to be '93 Cup Final Replay for me. I was 9 years old, couldn't get tickets so watching it at home on the telly. As a kid I loved penalties and was so nervous and excited and looking forward to the penalties I ran upstairs and went to the toilet in the 119th minute so as not to miss the start of the pens. Then ran back downstairs only to find there wasn't going to be penalties after all. True story.

We didn't sell out for replay. 

Part timer :tango:😎

7 hours ago, Barberphobia said:

I wasn't the slightest bit nervous, I knew the outcome of the shootout was inevitable as soon as the whistle blew.

Same.

Bizarrely remember calling all our penalties. Knew Hutch would miss and so would Fessi.

What a crap night that was.

5 hours ago, qantas said:

I'd say Sterland's in the 4-4 draw with Chelsea, a lot of people had left & came sprinting back in when they heard we'd got the penalty in the last minute....Zico did the business though.

That one for me too. Only time I’ve been unable to watch one. It had gone so horribly wrong that you knew he would miss. Should have known better with Mel taking it. What a player. Would be regarded as our best right back if it wasn’t for a certain Roland Nilson

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

As a Wednesday fan, when were you most nervous about a penalty (Either for us or against us)

For me, Maclean at Cardiff

Every time Colin West stepped up to take one. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

Everyone! So far, 45 years worth 

Not many then:unsure:.

We get so few I'm always nervous. Why footballers don't just smash it as hard as they can I've never understood. OK, on rare occasions it will hit the keeper, but it's a free shot from 12 yards, if you hit it hard enough the chances are it will go in anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Not many then:unsure:.

We get so few I'm always nervous. Why footballers don't just smash it as hard as they can I've never understood. OK, on rare occasions it will hit the keeper, but it's a free shot from 12 yards, if you hit it hard enough the chances are it will go in anyway.

aka "The Pressman Method" 

• Haha 1

Not so much nervous - Hudders in the play offs had that inevitability about it. When Hutch missed the first one I walked out as I knew that was it.

Heard the away fans cheering when I got to the top of Wadsley lane. Didn't know until the next day that JR had neshed out.

13 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Sheridan against oldham 1990, we got 2 pens in one match....I shìt ye not.....still didnt win....against Oldham and drew 2-2.

Didnt Shez get booed as well before his first penalty by some wednesday fans? pretty sure he cupped his ear 👂 when he got the first. Remember this game and the football we played was amazing.

Edited by JOHNHARKES

8 hours ago, JOHNHARKES said:

Didnt Shez get booed as well before his first penalty by some wednesday fans? pretty sure he cupped his ear 👂 when he got the first. Remember this game and the football we played was amazing.

No, that was when he scored his first against Blackburn, the next home game after he'd been booed against Oxford. (Our only home defeat that season). 

18 hours ago, qantas said:

I'd say Sterland's in the 4-4 draw with Chelsea, a lot of people had left & came sprinting back in when they heard we'd got the penalty in the last minute....Zico did the business though.

Yes I remember it well, 100% agree