For the “Monk Out” gang

13 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Genuine question for you all...have the 3 early signings and the arrival of the new back room staff given you any confidence in Monk?? 

The situation is changing and changing in a positive way imo. 

No. I would still sack Monk today as i believe he will take us down.

He has now got a new backroom staff in which is good and what was needed, and the signings have been decent so far in my opinion. Dunkley will add a goal threat from the back but i still think were shakey there. The midfield lad is unknown and Brown is a good acquisition. However we need a lot more to have a chance of staying up.

I dont believe Garry Monk is a good manager i look at his record and i see nothing to change that. He generally starts off well but results drop off and when they do he is unable to turn it around. He falls out with players, his style of play is not attractive at all and he doesnt tend to be the most forthcoming with the fans. This was what i feared when we appointed him but I got behind him. However, i never imagined it would go so down hill so quickly, i did think it would eventually, but the speed at which it did was alarming and i believe he would have been sacked at 23 other championship sides in that second half of the season. I want monk out. When were allowed back i will as always back the team and be there home and away but my opinion on Monk is that the sooner he is replaced the sooner we can start moving forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brando said:

Spot on.Monk never done owt anywhere  even with cash..Boro..

Simply not correct,in my opinion,did a job as a Player with the Swans,and than had 3 Seasons as a Manager in the Premier,kept them in the Premier League in his first season there,(no mean achievement,most promoted sides from the Championship favourites to go straight down...)The following season he took the Swans to 8th in the Premier League,their best ever finish....And that was one place better,than Chris Wilders Blades,...

Quote:A stunning 2-1 triumph over Manchester United - Swansea's first ever at Old Trafford - was followed by home wins over Burnley and West Brom as Monk claimed the Manager of the Month award for August in the 2014/15 campaign.

The Swans went on to secure memorable doubles against the Red Devils and Arsenal before securing a best ever finish of eighth place.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-united-garry-monk-swansea-17215067

He was the most successful Manager in the last decade,before Bielsa,having a great initial run with  his Leeds side(where he brought in some useful signings)..47.2% win ratio,& was due to be offered a further Year contract,before deciding to leave...

'Quote':Despite this agonising ending, Monk was due to be given a fresh one-year contract, although he resigned from the job following the takeover of Andrea Radrizzani.

He kept Birmingham in the Championship,despite a points deduction,and he did the same with Wednesday last Season.Only a points deduction from the EFL could have relegated us.

Monk had us third,challenging for an Automatic Promotion spot before Xmas.Yes we fell away,but why people imagine that was Monks doing,rather than the Players,is beyond me....

There is plenty of achievement in Monks background,and managerial career,many on here dont want him as a Manager,fair enough.but please dont state opinion as alleged 'facts'..You think he is sh**e...fine,say why ideally,but his career is hardly one of 'doing nowt'....He has hit the post a few times.....lets hope S6 is his GOAL.

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Simply not correct,in my opinion,did a job as a Player with the Swans,and than had 3 Seasons as a Manager in the Premier,kept them in the Premier League in his first season there,(no mean achievement,most promoted sides from the Championship favourites to go straight down...)The following season he took the Swans to 8th in the Premier League,their best ever finish...

Swansea were an established PL side when he took over, not newly promoted - they'd had 3 mid table finishes in a row and the previous season they'd finished 9th and won the league cup. You put it as if they were out of their depth, favourites to go down and keeping them up in their 4th season was some huge achievement. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Swansea were an established PL side when he took over, not newly promoted - they'd had 3 mid table finishes in a row and the previous season they'd finished 9th and won the league cup. You put it as if they were out of their depth, favourites to go down and keeping them up in their 4th season was some huge achievement. 

Yes i can see,it can be read like that,too late to change it now,cant edit,but the gist of my post still stands...Historically,as we see with sides like Bournemouth,who managed 6 Seasons,but still eventually succumbed,and were relegated,Staying in the premier league frankly IS an achievement,in & of itself.for promoted Championship sides...Financially its an absolute disaster to be relegated,and often leads to multiple relegation's down the league..(Hull,who beat us another example) & so on....

13 hours ago, brando said:

Spot on.Monk never done owt anywhere  even with cash..Boro..

I've posted this on here before, but I think that's a harsh way of judging his career so far.

For me, Monk and his team did a good job given the circumstances in which they were working...

Swansea were two points above the bottom three when Monk took over from Michael Laudrup. By the end of that season they were 9 points clear and comfortably avoided the drop.

The following season, he led Swansea to 8th in the Premier League, missing out on European football by four points. In his final season at Swansea, they were 15th in the Premier league after 15 games, at which point he was sacked. They finished the season in 12th.

He then took the reigns of a Leeds side who'd finished 13th the season before and guided them to 7th in the Championship, before resigning at the end of the season. Leeds finished 13th again the following season.

Following that, he moved to recently-relegated Middlesbrough and had them sat 9th in the Championship, three points off the top six at the halfway point, before being sacked. Pulis took over and they finished in the top six by three points, before missing out on the playoffs the following season.

He then took over at Birmingham City, who were in the bottom three with eleven games to go. They survived the drop by five points. The following season, despite a nine point deduction, he took Birmingham to 17th place, before being sacked. Birmingham finished 17th but with 12 fewer points the following season.

I'm not saying he's the next Guardiola, but he's not a bad manager, either. Given the contexts and what he's had to work with, he's done at least a decent job at every club he's managed. Only Leeds have improved since he left, and that took a new chairman, a turnover of more than 40 players, and managerial legend Bielsa's revolution to achieve.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Genuine question for you all...have the 3 early signings and the arrival of the new back room staff given you any confidence in Monk?? 

In a word, No.

I have no faith in a man who has achieved nothing as a manager.

This is the internet...what chance of people saying " I was wrong ". Monk has started with what Bruce said would take three transfer windows to rebuild the squad...he's brought young players in and players with pace. We didn't finish as second highest scorers away from home without playing some attacking football...what we lacked was in defence and if we get that right who knows how we will get on...I wouldn't throw myself under a bus just yet peeps

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

Nothing? see previous reply.....

Not impressed even after reading the post.

I felt the same when David Pleat got the job, some people just don't sit right with me.

If he proves me wrong, fairy nuff but it's going to be a long hard season.

35 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

Not impressed even after reading the post.

I felt the same when David Pleat got the job, some people just don't sit right with me.

If he proves me wrong, fairy nuff but it's going to be a long hard season.

We are all individuals mate,and all 'owls'..i am only disagreeing with those who feel monks managerial background shows 'nothing'..Those who thought Bruce was the 'Messiah'(some still do,even after what he did..) seem to ignore the fact he nearly jacked it in after his time with SU,and than went on to have 4 Clubs in 3 years...He didnt have overnight success,...Bruce also allegedly a fan of the 'Long Ball' game..direct football..(as am I) many on here thought Monks football with Fletcher ,not to their liking....Monk(or any manager) at s6 needs the time to turn things around.....Manager 'merry go round' has gone on long enough..

Edited by parajack

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Err NO we clearly wouldnt have been relegated would we?We finished lower mid table,in our own rights...despite the poor alleged attitude & lack of application/loss of form,'Injurys'(sic) by  some of the playing staff....in the second half of the Season....Nor could he be held responsible for Covid disrupting the Season,and 3 Key players leaving...(YES Players!!!....Monk wasnt on the Pitch,playing like s**** was he?)

Monk cant be held responsible either for the EFL..

Depends on what you expect of a manager I guess. imo the break was fortunate for Monk, we were in complete free fall, he was clinging on and could not get a tune out of any of them.

10 minutes ago, paddyowl said:

DC should have bust a gut to get Mick McCarthy in, knows this league, has managed at the top level, that would be my choice.

Knows this league.......................................so does Monk

Managed at the top level..............................so has Monk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Gone from 0% to 5%.

Let's see after 10 games.

Positive steps so far but alot more work to be done on the squad to add the required quality.

It will take far more than 10 games to turn round the misfortunes of the last 5 years.

• Like 1

Some may not like Monk irrespective, I can understand dissent based on results, but he's here for the forseeable future as our manager.

For the first time, he's had a pre season, a transfer window to bring in players he wants (January always desperation window), a coaching team and the cloud of EFL charges lifted (we now know where we stand as a worse case scenario)

To give him credit, we have done good business recruitment wise, bringing in the type of players I want us to sign and there seems to be positivity in the squad, appears a happy, unified camp. Noticeable that the coaches and players all credit Monk as a big factor in joining, so must have something going for him. 

I'm optimistic for the new season, despite the points deduction.

• Like 1

Still not convinced by Monk, but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. He’s very lucky to still be in a job considering our post-Xmas form... but he’s got his own coaches in now and presumably has a fair bit of input in terms of transfers. This is a massive opportunity for him to show what he’s made of — let’s hope he’s up to it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I agree. I does feel like a step change.

• Like 1