For the “Monk Out” gang

4 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Can’t people just stop attaching to binary positions of monk in or out? Let him build a solution and judge him on his work rather than what he inherited.

It’s just a conversation/debate on a forum. The debate is based on the fact some are happy to give monk a proper chance, others not so happy!! The question was simple...is what he is doing at the moment winning any of them round. 

Ive been very critical of him, even the first half of the season I can’t say I was enjoying it. Yes results were good, but I always felt we were in a false position. I think he made some very bad judgement calls around Christmas that led to the collapse. I think he deserved sacking. But that’s history.

Im prepared to give him a second chance ( no choice really) but Im not creaming my pants like some on here with the signings. And I will reserve judgement until the season starts because we need a lot more.

The coaching staff recruitment looks OK and was needed. Again let’s wait and see what impact they have.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Genuine question for you all...have the 3 early signings and the arrival of the new back room staff given you any confidence in Monk?? 

The situation is changing and changing in a positive way imo. 

Not really no.

Dunkley and Brown both have questionable histories in terms of injuries. So it remains to be seen whether they'll actually contribute much. Good players when fit, but will they be fit more or less than Hutch was? Dele-Bashiru comes from Man City, but has never kicked a ball in anger, so.. Still an unknown quantity.

We still haven't addressed any of the problem areas in the squad. And actually seem to be stacking it to ONLY be able to play 352. Boxing ourselves into a corner much? And should things not go well in the first few months, Monk will be gone and the new manager will have a squad which can't play a basic 442.

Good to freshen up the coaching staff, that's been needed for a while, but overall no.. there's maybe more concerns than there were.

• Like 2

Some of the performances last season were beyond terrible, we were out of some of the games after 30 mins. If clubs had not taken their foot off the Gas we could have had even worse drubbings. Covid gave Monk a break and a chance for a rethink but we were still awful after the enforced break. Let's hope that Monks backroom staff are the real driving force to change things.

7 players who we started last season with and the 3 who joined in January are no longer here and we have so far replaced them with 2 players coming back from injury and an unknown quantity with potential.

The squad looks painfully weak at the moment, right wingback, defensive midfield and forwarda are a must.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hugeowl said:

3 signings and 3 new back room staff 

Monk looks like he means business in reshaping the playing side 

I think he will surprise a few posters on here . 

If he does surprise a few ( which I hope he does) he still won’t change their minds on him that’s for certain 

12 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Genuine question for you all...have the 3 early signings and the arrival of the new back room staff given you any confidence in Monk?? 

The situation is changing and changing in a positive way imo. 

Why can't someone point to Monk's performance since Christmas and have totally justifiable reasons for not wanting him in charge, without having to be in a "gang" ?

Edited by Vaughan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hugeowl said:

3 signings and 3 new back room staff 

Monk looks like he means business in reshaping the playing side 

I think he will surprise a few posters on here . 

Unfortunately the ones who will be surprised are those who think he'll still be in the job at xmas.

"Monk out gang"     :biggrin:

Or maybe, just maybe , concerned fans who who dont think 19 goals in 23 home games and a 16th place finish is very good at all.

Our "style" last season was non-existent and there was plenty of unrest amongst the squad so he has a hell of a long way to go , but  , regardless of what we think he has been given ANOTHER chance so lets see.

Glad he has his own team in and of the 4 signings so far my initial thoughts are ;

Izzy Brown  -  Encouraged by this , very good on his day

Chey Dunkley   -  OK.

Dele   -   The right TYPE of signing but impossible to judge as i have never seen him play......just like 99.9% of people on here.

Pelupessy   -   Unfathomable

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

If he does surprise a few ( which I hope he does) he still won’t change their minds on him that’s for certain 

I am willing to change my mind on him if he manages to turn things around, cut out the inept performances and progress. No excuses now. Has got rid of most of the players he had sidelined and has started bringing in his own.  

The 3 signings look decent to be fair, as does the addition to the back room. My issue with Monk is that he is so tactically inept and just doesn't seem to have a clue. The shambles of our performances since Christmas is just baffling. Wouldn't be surprised if we are still on a minus points by the end of October. 

The fact he (supposedly) fell out with our best players and refused to play them when we were so desperate, is just so childish. He is too big headed and thinks he is more important than our success

• Like 1

The second half of the season we struggled in two areas.

1. Westwood was dropped and so we did not have a good enough keeper.

2. Without Fletcher we just could not score.

Neither of those areas are sorted.  The signings we have got in are unknown.  Monk tactically was aweful, I would love to be proved wrong but it still annoys me had we finished at least 12 points clear which should have been more than possible considering we were 3rd in December we would not be startibg on -12 points.  

It was not Monks fault we got the points deductiin but it was his that we have it this year not last.  Reserving judgement for now as its a results game, Monk needs to get results early imo or there will very quickly be pressure on him to go.

The worry then is the new manager does not have his own players or staff..

Edited by catdog1121
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

I think the man is a terrible manager, a horrendous man manager and a mercenary of the worst type   

He speaks like he is absolutely thick, if he speaks like that to the press, then what do his players think of him?   The man is a trickster, he cons people into getting a job and that is why he doesn't keep it very long.

More than that, I fully believe he is absolutely bang to rights with the two clubs who claimed he was cheating them by signing players via an agent he had a deal with.

The man is slimy and I do not like him.  Why would I want a slimy piece of crap like that associated with my club?

Look,you have got to pack in this 'beating about the bush' You have to speak your mind mate,,,,

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 109Waddle said:

3 positive signings for sure, will be interesting to see how FDB fairs in the championship. A refresh of the coaching staff was long overdue so another positive change.

However, as has already been mentioned, the form in the second half of last season was diabolical. If it wasn’t for the EFL case and Covid Monk would have gone or we would have been relegated imo.

That said, a new season awaits so its really over to monk to show us what he’s made of. No doubt I’ll be on side and dreaming of a miraculous promotion come the first game of the season.

Err NO we clearly wouldnt have been relegated would we?We finished lower mid table,in our own rights...despite the poor alleged attitude & lack of application/loss of form,'Injurys'(sic) by  some of the playing staff....in the second half of the Season....Nor could he be held responsible for Covid disrupting the Season,and 3 Key players leaving...(YES Players!!!....Monk wasnt on the Pitch,playing like s**** was he?)

Monk cant be held responsible either for the EFL..

2 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Not at all mate. I will be absolutely delighted to proven wrong. I’m a wednesdayite not a monkite. Wednesday will still be here long after Monk has gone. And he will, because if he does well he will take a better job, and if he fails he will be sacked

Still got very little faith in his ability as a football manager, but he's staying now and we're stuck with him so no choice. It'll take more than a free transfer from Wigan, an unknown quantity from City's youth team and a decent but perennial Championship loanee to encourage me that he's about to turn things around. I'd absolutely love it if I was proven wrong and he does great things and Neil digs up all the Monk Out threads and points at me and laughs, but...he won't.  I'll be very surprised if he's still in the job in January.

At least the "Monk In Gang" won't have any excuses to hide behind now, he's got his own coaching team,  he's bringing in his own players, the "bad eggs" have gone and we know exactly where we stand with the points deduction. 

• Like 3

Was feeling really pessimistic after the second half of last season and the now bare bones sqaud, that lacks quality and cutting edge.

Though With the new hopefully from what ive heard better staff in including an actual strikers coach which we've severely been lacking. 

Along with that the business we've done so far in the window seems really good and with more of a plan /style in mind,si with a couple more similar signings in areas that need strengthening, I'm now just teetering on the brink of optimism that we can overcome the defecit and finish comfortably mid table.