14 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Just a question or two, they’re relative.

How many years more has McCarthy been in management than Monk, how long had he been managing before he achieved promotion.

As for his World Cup duties, he should be given credit for stamping on Roy Keane’s ego. A brave decision and I applaud him for it. Took out his own star player. Imagine if Monk did something similar. What are the chances ?

True, Monk may go on to managerial success that surpasses McCarthy, but I would have my money on "He Wont", just my view.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, paddyowl said:

McCarthy has had 2 promotions to the premier league and play-offs as well.

He's also managed in a world cup finals. or am I not allowed to add those on?

IMO McCarthy is a far superior manager compared to Monk.

I would debate that till the cows come home.

That’s not opinion it’s fact 

On 21/08/2020 at 15:01, parajack said:

There were multiple factors effecting the performances at S6,i think when Monk came out publicly he was that sick of the situation,and possibly allegedly the 'Player' problem, he may well have thought **** em,Ime going to call them out,and not give a ********....If that is correct,i think it needed doing....

The issues at S6 have been attended to 'behind closed' doors for far too long...Wheres it got us? have players attitudes & performances improved? or get worse?...You cant by the way,sort out the 'unsortable'.....

If a Player(s) for example allegedly doesnt want to play the systym you want,or in the position you want,maybe declares themselves 'injured' when there not,happened more than once allegedly to Monk...is otherwise disruptive in the dressing room,...that can only be 'managed' by Players leaving,if the manager leaves the problems still there...

Well it worked well didn't it! Excuses are not good enough. Saying he tells them what he thinks and that's all he can do. Sounds straight talking but in today's management it just throws a grenade in there. You don't tell players you need for the second half of the season they won't be there after and then need to pick them. Stupidity. Players don't choose tactics, substitutions and don't speak to the media. If he wasn't good enough to sort them out, and he wasn't your just making excuses for what Carlos and Jos too.... funny how Bruce got a completely different responce from the same squad! Keep making excuses and wasting time. Chansiri  needs to focus more on spending his cash taking someone else's manager or paying a good manager than managers with no experience in England or never beens. It can work from abroad but it's a gamble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Well it worked well didn't it! Excuses are not good enough. Saying he tells them what he thinks and that's all he can do. Sounds straight talking but in today's management it just throws a grenade in there. You don't tell players you need for the second half of the season they won't be there after and then need to pick them. Stupidity. Players don't choose tactics, substitutions and don't speak to the media. If he wasn't good enough to sort them out, and he wasn't your just making excuses for what Carlos and Jos too.... funny how Bruce got a completely different responce from the same squad! Keep making excuses and wasting time. Chansiri  needs to focus more on spending his cash taking someone else's manager or paying a good manager than managers with no experience in England or never beens. It can work from abroad but it's a gamble.

Bruce?.what in his 18 Games? Bruce failed didnt he? didnt get an automatic promotion spot,and didnt make the play offs...FAILED...and why any Wednesday fan/supporter,would compare a Manager who has got stuck in,in dire circumstances & than stayed to rebuild the alleged mess we have here,to one,who despite accepting a position,than LEFT  is beyond me....Monk got us to third,in his first 23 Games,& challenging for an automatic promotion spot...A better record than the 'Messiah' your trumpetting,in my view

We will never know will we,if the Players would have performed similarly under Bruce? (as Monk)because he didnt hang around for us to find out...What does that tell you?....Theres excuses,& than thers legitimate reasons,i know which of the two i think are right,you disagree fine....

We will shortly find out,which of us is correct

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

That’s not opinion it’s fact 

Its also History..Your as good as your last Club,Your last Season,and your last 90 minutes......MM not worked since Ipswich,who parted company with him(maybe by his own choice)...I wouldnt be surprised if(like Colin) he has had offers...but still he isnt Managing....draw your own conclusions...I think every dog has his day...time for a 'different' dog to maybe have theirs...

On 22/08/2020 at 14:56, paddyowl said:

True, Monk may go on to managerial success that surpasses McCarthy, but I would have my money on "He Wont", just my view.

Mine too. Hope I am wrong, but if the season go wrong, lets accept the verdict on Monk and stop blaming the players he is paid to manage and get the best out of.

Edited by swissmess
  • Like 1
On 20/08/2020 at 19:56, Wednesday_Jack said:

Genuine question for you all...have the 3 early signings and the arrival of the new back room staff given you any confidence in Monk?? 

The situation is changing and changing in a positive way imo. 

I am not part of the “Monk out” gang but neither do I think he’s been great for us. 

I can say that I’m encouraged but not yet satisfied with our recruitment. We need some more quality players in the club. I’m also a little concerned that two of our three signings have just come back from major injury and the third is untried and untested. 

• Like 1

I Want only the best for Sheffield Wednesday ,I just hope proves me wrong ,With his own coaching team ,I Hope it works .

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, parajack said:

Bruce?.what in his 18 Games? Bruce failed didnt he? didnt get an automatic promotion spot,and didnt make the play offs...FAILED...and why any Wednesday fan/supporter,would compare a Manager who has got stuck in,in dire circumstances & than stayed to rebuild the alleged mess we have here,to one,who despite accepting a position,than LEFT  is beyond me....Monk got us to third,in his first 23 Games,& challenging for an automatic promotion spot...A better record than the 'Messiah' your trumpetting,in my view

What are you rambling on about....Bruce failed to get Wednesday promoted.

We were in dire straights under Jos. Bullen, Agnew and Clemence steadied the ship then Bruce came in and lost 3 matches in his 18 in charge. How can that be called a failure?

When he left we were in a far better place than under Jos. He'd added Iorfa, Harris, Luongo, Boerner, made Westwood his no.1 keeper.

We started last season reasonably under Bullen with 9 points after 6 games.

We weren't in a mess when Monk came in, we had a good squad and had made a decent start.

Yes we did well in his first 17 games with 30 points.

Then his man management skills and tactics took effect, in the following 23 games we were abysmal with only 17 points and 4 wins.

Covid saved Monk's job.

I think with a crowd in at Hillsborough and seeing only 1 win and 6 goals scored in the last 12 homes games, the atmosphere would have become too toxic for him to have survived.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

We were in dire straights under Jos. Bullen, Agnew and Clemence steadied the ship then Bruce came in and lost 3 matches in his 18 in charge. How can that be called a failure?

When he left we were in a far better place than under Jos. He'd added Iorfa, Harris, Luongo, Boerner, made Westwood his no.1 keeper.

We weren't in a mess when Monk came in, we had a good squad and had made a decent start.

Then his man management skills and tactics took effect, in the following 23 games we were abysmal with only 17 points and 4 wins.

Covid saved Monk's job.

I think with a crowd in at Hillsborough and seeing only 1 win and 6 goals scored in the last 12 homes games, the atmosphere would have become too toxic for him to have survived.

Someone disagree's with you,and there 'rambling'...? Yeah ok, sorry i didnt realise your view was the only one that mattered on Owlstalk....anyway back to the thread,Bruce FAILED to get Wednesday promoted,or in the play offs,with a chance of promotion, fact Bruce only stayed for 18 games, fact Bruce signed a 3 year contract with Wednesday and than left fact,.. 

As people who share your view,dont hold the players responsible,but only the Manager,logically it must have allegedly been Bruce fault,Bruce subs,Bruce's tactics....& presumably lack of 'Man Management' that didnt motivate them enough....Bruce didnt stay around did he,for the alleged 'dressing room' issues to take effect? Monks record over the same period,is better than Bruce'

'In terms of league position....before it went wrong....Niether you or I know if Bruce would have faced the same issues,so get off your high horse,Monks signings may yet prove better than Bruce's...we shall see...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, parajack said:

We will never know will we,if the Players would have performed similarly under Bruce? (as Monk)because he didnt hang around for us to find out...What does that tell you?....Theres excuses,& than thers legitimate reasons,i know which of the two i think are right,you disagree fine....

We will shortly find out,which of us is correct

Can't wait😳😵.   ffs

10 minutes ago, parajack said:

Someone disagree's with you,and there 'rambling'...? Yeah ok, sorry i didnt realise your view was the only one that mattered on Owlstalk....anyway back to the thread,Bruce FAILED to get Wednesday promoted,or in the play offs,with a chance of promotion, fact Bruce only stayed for 18 games, fact Bruce signed a 3 year contract with Wednesday and than left fact,.. 

As people who share your view,dont hold the players responsible,but only the Manager,logically it must have allegedly been Bruce fault,Bruce subs,Bruce's tactics....& presumably lack of 'Man Management' that didnt motivate them enough....Bruce didnt stay around did he,for the alleged 'dressing room' issues to take effect? Monks record over the same period,is better than Bruce'

'In terms of league position....before it went wrong....Niether you or I know if Bruce would have faced the same issues,so get off your high horse,Monks signings may yet prove better than Bruce's...we shall see...

1 hour ago, longreach said:

Can't wait😳😵.   ffs

Show me your Monks sh*te post from Xmas Please .....well,you wont will you? cos you didnt do any eh?.....

2 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Covid saved Monk's job.

So in Monk's first 17 games, when things were healthy, his man management skills and tactics were not a factor, but following that they were. 

I notice when the team was doing well it was we, but when they were doing badly it was down to him. 

Have you heard of the phrase unconscious bias ? With respect, your comments are ludicrous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, swissmess said:

Mine too. Hope I am wrong, but if the season go wrong, lets accept the verdict on Monk and stop blaming the players he is paid to manage and get the best out of.

Totally agree,but lets at least give him the same transfer windows Bruce said it needed,..

22 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Anyone who thinks Monk's a better manager than Bruce needs their bumps feeling. 

And any Wednesday fan posting on here about Bruce,after what he did to our Club needs to have a good long look at their priorities...Criticising a current Manager,whilst extolling the virtues of one who left....after signing a 3 year contract....How does that work than?.....

Is this Bruce the one where he agreed to take on a job while a manager was still employed at said club?

Yeah any one extolling of that mans virtues can do one

• Like 1
On 22/08/2020 at 09:06, parajack said:

Once upon a time,in a land FAR AWAY,there lived a Beautiful Princess,who lay under a witches Spell, asleep,waiting for a 'Handsome Prince' to awaken her...her name was (of course) Princess Wednesday.....Will Beattie et al..be the Handsome 'Prince'? who the ******** knows,but he comes well respected with his time,as a Player,and is allegedly well regarded as a  Coach.

Monk is not 'a crap Manager' Evidence to prove such,   Has been posted over & over in multiple threads,seems pointless to re post his success's over and over.New Players(much needed!!) will be,as they always are,a mix of hit and miss....will they play better than FF? well if they turn up & are available,that will be a start,& not be allegedly not available over Xmas...Will they be prepared to train every day?unlike a certain Player who left? Hope so...

Will their'form' be Mysteriously allegedly random throughout a Season? like some of the  Players,you refer to? & the same for some who are still with us?..Will they aquire alleged 'Injurys'?...and make themselves unavailable for selection?

Will they not be vilified,and blamed constantly,by the Fan base,like another Player who left?(and i dont blame him) well jurys out on that one....eh?..What we do know,is that a new group of Players coming in,allow Monk & his staff to develop a 'Team' spirit,

Give the man a chance,recognise(and appreciate!!) the JOb he(and Jos before him) faced...unlike Jos,he has been allowed to stay,& sort out the issues(none of which were his making......)

If you think Monk was so crap,cut & paste your posts from Xmas saying so.....Not one person has managed it yet....

to satisfy your curiosity a few weeks before Christmas and a few days after...

• Like 3

Show me your Monks sh*te post from Xmas Please .....well,you wont will you? cos you didnt do any eh?.....

Dave Jones probably didn't get much criticism after his first 19 games in charge. 

But the criticism for the performances after that was thoroughly deserved. 

And any Wednesday fan posting on here about Bruce,after what he did to our Club needs to have a good long look at their priorities...Criticising a current Manager,whilst extolling the virtues of one who left....after signing a 3 year contract....How does that work than?.....

Yes

ignore the facts and rely on emotion 

I don’t like what Bruce did. 

I don’t like a lot of Monks decisions. 

Bruce is a better manager as unpalatable as that may be. 

• Like 5