Westwood wanted by Blackburn despite his ‘injuries’

10 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Should be number 1

Nothing against the others but we need an experienced head between the sticks with a strong personality. If that isn't Westwood then we have to sign a new keeper

Wildsmith and Dawson have a great future ahead of them but considering the position we're currently in with the -12 we need a safe pair of hands at the back

What have you seen that makes you think they have a "great future ahead"?

They are mid 20's and you don't want them in your team ,when is this great future going to kick in 

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

You can try and spin it however you like.

For me, it's just yet another poor transfer decision from the DC era.

Call me old-fashioned, but 3 goals in return for circa £1.5million-£2million quid in wages is pitiful.

We should have snapped up Norwich's offer.

It's not 'spin'; it's reality.

If we'd done as you suggest and accepted Norwich's offer of £0 last summer, the remaining £2-3m approx. of Rhodes' fee which was due to appear in this season's accounts would have been due in last year's, potentially tipping us over the P&S threshold once again.

I don't understand why you think that would have been a wise move? 

• Like 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If we'd done as you suggest and accepted Norwich's offer of £0 last summer, the remaining £2-3m approx. of Rhodes' fee which was due to appear in this season's accounts would have been due in last year's, potentially tipping us over the P&S threshold once again.

Though we are reportedly paying him 50k a week which is 2.6m a year in wages 

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The 2015-18 era accounts have already seen us over the threshold by a large degree anyway.

There's no "potentially tipping us over" about it.

24 minutes ago, modboy said:

Though we are reportedly paying him 50k a week which is 2.6m a year in wages 

That amount seems to creep up every time it's mentioned, doesn't it?

:duntmatter:

I thought somewhere in the region of £40k per week was widely accepted?

I think the issue is that we owed approx. £2.5m for his fee in last season's accounts, and approx £2.5m again in this season's accounts due to the way transfer fees are spread across a player's contract. If we'd accepted Norwich's offer to take him on a free last summer, then we'd have owed £5m in last season's accounts, which apparently would have caused issues with P&S, according to Chansiri:

“This made no sense to us and would actually cause us more problems with FFP as we would have to pay all the outstanding balance on his transfer from Middlesbrough. So it was better for Jordan to stay here and try to make his way into the team and score some goals".

Considering we still had the likes of Fletcher, Forestieri and Hutchinson on the wage bill, it seems we simply weren't in any position to add that extra sum to last year's accounts rather than spreading it across the remainder of his contract.

8 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

The 2015-18 era accounts have already seen us over the threshold by a large degree anyway.

There's no "potentially tipping us over" about it.

Right.

So we should probably try to avoid breaching P&S again, you'd think?

Unless you're advocating another breach, further embargoes, another EFL charge, and a further points deduction...all because you wanted rid of Jordan Rhodes?

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

God knows why . Above anything else , his performances last season were worse than Dawson’s . Some of his mistakes were border line comical . He finished and has been for a while . It was the same when hooper was here and this forum was obsessing about the player he used to be 

Was on board with you until the last sentence. 

Don’t get me wrong, Hooper was crocked (his time at Welly Phoenix has also proven that he is a highly talented boy with a failing body) and the last 12-18 months with us was a disaster, but when he did play, he was miles ahead of almost anybody else at SWFC. Even whilst half fit. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

And unfortunately our 2 other keepers make to many mistakes. We need a new number one signed. The wages saved from KW imo need to go towards a new keeper. Hopefully DC doesn’t price KW out of a move, I hope he lets him go for free and the saving from his wages would be very welcome. 

The thing is the other 2 keepers are youngish and are still learning. For me Westwood's best days are gone.

13 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think he always had an issue with rushing out his goal which seemed to get worse. But our younger keepers have been letting shots through them or kicking the ball to the opposition in some cases. Westwood seems to calm a defence down for the most part. 

I think his experience shows when talking to and organising defenders and I can' fault that. For me he's no different to the other two in making goal against blunders and repeatedly so.

48 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That amount seems to creep up every time it's mentioned, doesn't it?

:duntmatter:

I thought somewhere in the region of £40k per week was widely accepted?

I think the issue is that we owed approx. £2.5m for his fee in last season's accounts, and approx £2.5m again in this season's accounts due to the way transfer fees are spread across a player's contract. If we'd accepted Norwich's offer to take him on a free last summer, then we'd have owed £5m in last season's accounts, which apparently would have caused issues with P&S, according to Chansiri:

“This made no sense to us and would actually cause us more problems with FFP as we would have to pay all the outstanding balance on his transfer from Middlesbrough. So it was better for Jordan to stay here and try to make his way into the team and score some goals".

Considering we still had the likes of Fletcher, Forestieri and Hutchinson on the wage bill, it seems we simply weren't in any position to add that extra sum to last year's accounts rather than spreading it across the remainder of his contract.

Best source we have 

https://sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/explained-what-are-the-salaries-of-every-sheffield-wednesday-player/

• Thanks 1

Is Westwood back in training at Middlewood?

I think he's had very good spells at SWFC as have other keepers. Keeper rely heavily on the players around them doing their jobs, they tend to deal with and fix the odd defensive mistakes. Many times ours have been the only line of defence and get criticised for the failings of others.

Our two young keepers (young for keepers) are very competent at this level and I'd rather strengthen elsewhere before adding to their number. If Westwood leaves then we need a 3rd keeper for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

You can try and spin it however you like.

For me, it's just yet another poor transfer decision from the DC era.

Call me old-fashioned, but 3 goals in return for circa £1.5million-£2million quid in wages is pitiful.

We should have snapped up Norwich's offer.

It's not spin - we would have been disadvantaged 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Westwood might already be priced out of a move by his wages. Blackburn might want him but if they don't want to pay what we are currently paying him every week then he could well say no.

He's probably earned enough over his career if he's invested it well, so for me it's a personal /greed issue. Does he still love playing and want to go and play games week in week out, or is he happy to sit on his lourels?? 

I once left a really good job and took a pay cut becouse I felt it was something I needed to do. Loved the new place and was revitalised. 

• Like 2