Realistic aims for next season

Guest Grandad

18 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

If we  finish in the top half ,Not a fan of Monks but the signs are good with the age of players ,This Izzy Brown 23 last year of contract .Realistic aims to sneak into play offs we will need around 84 points -12 ,72  that is a big ask .Mid table this season ,Would be good for me ,But i want more .

That’s what I thought . Then I woke up . 

nah 21st would be a brilliant season all things considered 

• Like 1

Guest gizowl

If we finish above the bottom 3 job done, the young recruits will have a season together becoming better players and gaining experience hopefully and then we get rid of the remaining dead wood Rhodes Pelupessy Westwood Lees etc another descent recruiting close season and we should then be pushing in the higher end of the championship. 

The league looks to me even weaker than the last 2 seasons. Some really, really poor sides that will struggle to add anyone in the current climate. It still depends on our additions, and for me the gk situation is a worry, but my personal expectation is we stay up relatively comfortably. Then be set for a push in 21/22.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2020 at 10:26, Grandad said:

If we put aside our form in the 2nd half of last season - and work on the assumption that with some more new additions, Monk working with his own staff, hopefully any bad apples now consigned to the wheelie bin and maybe even Westwood finally recovering from his injury ( ;-) ) - what do we think is our realistic aim for next season?

Personally - I'd be splitting the season down into targetted sections.

Out of the bottom 3 after 10 games.

Out of the bottom half after 30 games.

But how realistic is that?

Based on last season - to be out of the bottom 3 after 10 games would require 18 points to be won.

image.png.716e70fdd1345628c31f51281e247432.png

18 points would be 5 wins, 3 draws and only 2 losses.  I did say we would be putting last seasons form behind us - but even if we do - thats a very big ask.

But not as big an ask as to be out of the bottom half after 30 games.

To achieve that would rely on us winning 55 points - 43 plus the 12 catch up. Looking at last season - that would require automatic promotion form for the whole 30 games. With a new squad. Is that do-able?

image.png.8ef77e91240e103f6fa509fc5ab480b5.png

Maybe looking to achieve a top-half finish after the entire season would seem a more realistic target. But even that is asking for a gargantuan achievement from the squad. To achieve top half last season - with a -12 start - would require a 5th place in the play-offs run of form for 46 games.

Whichever way you look at it - if we are being realistic - to finish 1 place above relegation we've got to be the 9th best team in the division next year based on last years points totals. (Or better than we've been in any season since Carlos got us up to 4th)

Let’s not beat around the bush, have you seen our first 6 fixtures, anybody with half a brain taking into consideration 2nd half of last season plus the ongoing turmoil within the club needs their head testing if they think any better than 4th bottom is a realistic target! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 20/08/2020 at 10:29, S36 OWL said:

I will take forth bottom now. But that wil probably mean needing 65pts. Tall order, but not impossible. 

An exciting new squad, full back room staff and a possibility of the points reductions being reduced and you’d take 4th from bottom in a bang average league. Even with the reduction we will be in the cusp of the play offs.

13 minutes ago, Beevtakessomelickin said:

Let’s not beat around the bush, have you seen our first 6 fixtures, anybody with half a brain taking into consideration 2nd half of last season plus the ongoing turmoil within the club needs their head testing if they think any better than 4th bottom is a realistic target! 

Playoffs nailed on !! And you can’t tell me any fcuking different !!   UTO 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beevtakessomelickin said:

Where do i get my head tested fella  ?

On 21/08/2020 at 20:35, Beevtakessomelickin said:

To be fair, whether we finish 7th from top or 4th from bottom, what difference does it make?