Realistic aims for next season

Guest Grandad

4th from bottom is the aim 

We've got real work to do tho 

Some strikers and experience needed 

The signings so far have not made me think we can beat relegation 

As a counterpoint to some of the doom and gloom:

42 points was enough to avoid relegation in 4 out of the last 6 seasons. There’s a reasonable chance that if we can win 54 points we can survive.

Last season we managed 56 points despite being dire for half of it. Even a slight improvement on that, say another 2 wins, and we’d almost certainly be safe. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

If we sack off Monk we should be able to just about stay up. Stick with him and we'll be down by Christmas. 

We’re a sinking ship.  I’ve wanted Monk replaced with better since January.

But realistically, no manager worth his salt will touch us right now.

So if Monk is fired between now and the end of the season, we will end up with Beattie/Bullen in charge until next summer.  Would that actually be better?

Only one man to blame for this mess and it’s not Monk.

• Haha 1

I will never get tired of pre season when there's always a few going about how many poor teams there are in the championship. Scrap that thought and we havent been higher for 20 years. More than half of the clubs in the Championship have been in the Premier League far more recently than us as well. 

4th from bottom would be a triumph and i'd snap your hand off for that right now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

Whichever way you look at it - if we are being realistic - to finish 1 place above relegation we've got to be the 9th best team in the division next year based on last years points totals. (Or better than we've been in any season since Carlos got us up to 4th)

Based on last years totals 49 points stayed up so we would need 61 as things stand - 12th placed last season got 63. 

Mid 60's is not unrealistic but we need a good start to plug away at the deduction before it starts to feel like a hopeless task. Leeds wiped out their 15 point deduction in 5 games and made the play-offs though that was League One.

We managed 64 points in 2018-19 and half of that season was masterminded by Jos!

16 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I hope your right, as things stand we need to get 62 points to reach the magic 50 safety mark.

We need to be a million times better than last season to achieve that.

We surely can't get much worse than the second half of last season, as bad as we were we were still only 2 wins away from 62 points. 

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We surely can't get much worse than the second half of last season, as bad as we were we were still only 2 wins away from 62 points. 

But that's after a very decent 1st half to last season.

Hopefully the 2nd half of last season was a complete freak occurrence and it will not be the sign of things to come.

I'm hopeful we will turn a corner this season.

• Like 1