Realistic aims for next season

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad

If we put aside our form in the 2nd half of last season - and work on the assumption that with some more new additions, Monk working with his own staff, hopefully any bad apples now consigned to the wheelie bin and maybe even Westwood finally recovering from his injury ( ;-) ) - what do we think is our realistic aim for next season?

Personally - I'd be splitting the season down into targetted sections.

Out of the bottom 3 after 10 games.

Out of the bottom half after 30 games.

But how realistic is that?

Based on last season - to be out of the bottom 3 after 10 games would require 18 points to be won.

image.png.716e70fdd1345628c31f51281e247432.png

18 points would be 5 wins, 3 draws and only 2 losses.  I did say we would be putting last seasons form behind us - but even if we do - thats a very big ask.

But not as big an ask as to be out of the bottom half after 30 games.

To achieve that would rely on us winning 55 points - 43 plus the 12 catch up. Looking at last season - that would require automatic promotion form for the whole 30 games. With a new squad. Is that do-able?

image.png.8ef77e91240e103f6fa509fc5ab480b5.png

Maybe looking to achieve a top-half finish after the entire season would seem a more realistic target. But even that is asking for a gargantuan achievement from the squad. To achieve top half last season - with a -12 start - would require a 5th place in the play-offs run of form for 46 games.

Whichever way you look at it - if we are being realistic - to finish 1 place above relegation we've got to be the 9th best team in the division next year based on last years points totals. (Or better than we've been in any season since Carlos got us up to 4th)

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk is the man 

We have our own version of the Busby Babes being brought into the club 

It’s a new and exciting future

Just don't call em 'Monkys Babes' whatever you do. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Whichever way you look at it - if we are being realistic - to finish 1 place above relegation we've got to be the 9th best team in the division next year based on last years points totals. (Or better than we've been in any season since Carlos got us up to 4th)

I hope the rest of the thread is more optimistic than I... I read this and to be honest my heart just sinks

• Like 3

Guest Grandad
Just now, StudentOwl said:

I hope the rest of the thread is more optimistic than I... I read this and to be honest my heart just sinks

I'll be honest - when I started looking at the tables and the points - I started to wish I'd not done the work 😞 

We need a kind fixture list for the first 5 games. Not holding my breath, and I’m sure someone will say there’s no easy games in the championship.  But if we have Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth, Brentford and Cardiff to start then it would be tough. 

• Like 1

Realistic aim is 4th bottom this is a massive success and with our squad even with new additions this is a big ask.

You say discard the end to last season but it cant be forever, imagine if we lose our first 3 games any newly found positive feeling will be gone. Granted if we win them it will be the other way.

Im not going to get into the Monk debate again my feelings are clear on him, but even if we had a good manager in place to stay up this season will be a monumental task. 

• Like 2

If we  finish in the top half ,Not a fan of Monks but the signs are good with the age of players ,This Izzy Brown 23 last year of contract .Realistic aims to sneak into play offs we will need around 84 points -12 ,72  that is a big ask .Mid table this season ,Would be good for me ,But i want more .

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I'll be honest - when I started looking at the tables and the points - I started to wish I'd not done the work 😞 

Didn't DJM work out that a twelve point penalty would have seen us relegated in 11 out of the last 20 seasons? Based on that and our form at the back end of last season you have to say avoiding relegation would be a triumph.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Didn't DJM work out that a twelve point penalty would have seen us relegated in 11 out of the last 20 seasons? Based on that and our form at the back end of last season you have to say avoiding relegation would be a triumph.

So it's 50/50 then