New Season

We've approximately 3 weeks to go until the start of the new season with what looks like our worst squad of players for a very long time. We've released a bunch of players and brought in two teenagers, one that's unproven in this league or even first team football and the other with a history of injuries and recently played for a team relegated from our league. We've got only one recognised striker that frankly is rubbish and simply doesn't score goals. Any player that we did have that had a bit of ability about them have all jumped ship and you can see why. Others such as Hutch that did at least put in a shift have been shown the door or completely excluded from the managers plans such as Westwood. Top all this off with a points deduction start to the season of 12 points (4 wins) and things are looking extremely bleak unless Monk can somehow over the next few weeks find at least 5 or 6 players that are better than we already have then realistically we're only going in one direction. I hope and pray i'm proven completely wrong but things look so bad right now. If we're still adrift at the bottom of the league by around January/February time i think we can safely say it's all over. I would have predicted it being by Christmas had the season started on its normal date in August. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

We've approximately 3 weeks to go until the start of the new season with what looks like our worst squad of players for a very long time. We've released a bunch of players and brought in two teenagers, one that's unproven in this league or even first team football and the other with a history of injuries and recently played for a team relegated from our league. We've got only one recognised striker that frankly is rubbish and simply doesn't score goals. Any player that we did have that had a bit of ability about them have all jumped ship and you can see why. Others such as Hutch that did at least put in a shift have been shown the door or completely excluded from the managers plans such as Westwood. Top all this off with a points deduction start to the season of 12 points (4 wins) and things are looking extremely bleak unless Monk can somehow over the next few weeks find at least 5 or 6 players that are better than we already have then realistically we're only going in one direction. I hope and pray i'm proven completely wrong but things look so bad right now. If we're still adrift at the bottom of the league by around January/February time i think we can safely say it's all over. I would have predicted it being by Christmas had the season started on its normal date in August. 

Of course goes without saying...for all of us 

6 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Dunkley will be thrilled to hear  28 years of age is still classed as a "teenager".

Yes there's still recruitment to be done,but i think come seasons end we will still be a championship side.

• Haha 1

Dunkley does not have a history of injury. Of course there’s a risk after a broken leg, but far more players suffer no long-term issues.

Rhodes can work, but only with a specific type of partner, such as Fletcher or Gestede. You would imagine that Beattie is busy helping find that partner, or that he and a Monk have decided to get rid and recruit a whole set of strikers. But there’s no sense whatsoever in putting Rhodes with a Da Cruz or Windass type. Might as well burn his wage.

8 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

More negative waves Moriarty

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Kewl 

11 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Well that cheered me up no end. But seriously maybe, just maybe the newcomers might just be better than okay, they're young fit and healthy and eager to please.  I expect we'll get some loan players in after the season starts and somehow muddle through.........we always seem to somehow. This coming season will be a "treading water ".......survival type of season. Who knows in 3 years time we could be top, stranger things have happened.

13 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

In relation to the league we are in, it absolutely is the most ill equipped squad we have ever had. Hopefully it won’t remain so, and come the start of the season, things will look a whole lot rosier

14 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

We do look weak but the window hasn't closed yet.

Suggesting we will be down in Jan/Feb if still adrift is defeatist. We aren't down until it's mathematically certain.

What is it with us? Giving up before a ball is kicked. Let's wait and see who we sign, Usually there is optimism before the first match (however unfounded). I know we have had 20 years of mediocity to put up with but have a bit of faith.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Have you ever thought about doing motivational speaking? You could earn a few quid on the side..

With that rousing speech I’m surprised they didn’t get you to play the part of William Wallace in Braveheart, instead of Mel Gibson

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

For we walk by faith, not by sight - (2 Corinthians 5:7)

Have faith.

The only area the team is weaker is up front. Defence is the same as last season possibly a bit stronger with the addition of Dunkley

Midfield is similar to last season with the addition of the highly rated signing from Man City.  Murphy is a big loss, but he wasn't ours

anyway.  Up front we have lost Fletcher who hardly played after Christmas. Nuhiu, Winnal and Forestieri did not score enough last season

to constitute a loss. Two or three loan signings of a similar quality to Murphy and we will be stronger than last season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

The only area the team is weaker is up front. Defence is the same as last season possibly a bit stronger with the addition of Dunkley

Midfield is similar to last season with the addition of the highly rated signing from Man City.  Murphy is a big loss, but he wasn't ours

anyway.  Up front we have lost Fletcher who hardly played after Christmas. Nuhiu, Winnal and Forestieri did not score enough last season

to constitute a loss. Two or three loan signings of a similar quality to Murphy and we will be stronger than last season.

Not sure about that, our left wing back role has been very makeshift, although we do now have Penney. 
A Hutchinson type, and two or three forwards, are the priority, then we can add some depth with a few loanees next month. Six permanent signings seems about right to me, including the two we’ve signed, then another four in on loan to cover any gaps, and to add depth

Edited by gurujuan

Guest Therealrealist

If you are a realist you are described as negative..when in reality we all know theres very little..if anything..to be positivc about regarding swfc

1 hour ago, RevOwl said:

tenor.gif

• Haha 3