Garry Monk’s ambitious vision for Wednesday

It’s certainly not Monk’s fault that we will be shopping in the bargain basement and restricted to the quality of player we can sign.

We might find the odd diamond but realistically we will depend on hard work and organisation so we need players who buy into that, old or young.

It’s alright looking at Brentford and saying we should recruit like them.

They have had 5 years of clear strategy, planning and stability, Monks got 5 weeks to try and do something.

It’s an interesting question as to whether we can do what we need to do this season and still look long term. 

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It’s certainly not Monk’s fault that we will be shopping in the bargain basement and restricted to the quality of player we can sign.

We might find the odd diamond but realistically we will depend on hard work and organisation so we need players who buy into that, old or young.

They have had 5 years of clear strategy, planning and stability, Monks got 5 weeks to try and do something.

It’s an interesting question as to whether we can do what we need to do this season and still look long term. 

If he can’t, do we know anyone who can?

17 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The things is though Monk and DC have know since January that x amount of players were going they hoped Fletcher and Fox would stay but with both leaving it will save us a few million in wages.

So they should have been planning for the players they wanted the CO-Vid and the EFL case will have hampered some of it but we just don't seem to have been doing much planning until the season ended. To allow 4 or 5 strikers to leave without a plan of recruiting replacements is a bizarre recruitment at best, to have only 2 new players in with so many gaps again is no way to run a club.

We have less than 3 weeks before the season starts, we are going to be playing more games in a shorter space of time and at the very least we need a group of player that are fit and ready. Something we don't have and then for those recruited later we are hoping they have got a preseason elsewhere. Were we looking at a rebuilding season you say so be it, but next season we need top 10 form just to stay up with the same players that took just 8 points from 27 at the end of last season.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The things is though Monk and DC have know since January that x amount of players were going they hoped Fletcher and Fox would stay but with both leaving it will save us a few million in wages.

So they should have been planning for the players they wanted the CO-Vid and the EFL case will have hampered some of it but we just don't seem to have been doing much planning until the season ended. To allow 4 or 5 strikers to leave without a plan of recruiting replacements is a bizarre recruitment at best, to have only 2 new players in with so many gaps again is no way to run a club.

We have less than 3 weeks before the season starts, we are going to be playing more games in a shorter space of time and at the very least we need a group of player that are fit and ready. Something we don't have and then for those recruited later we are hoping they have got a preseason elsewhere. Were we looking at a rebuilding season you say so be it, but next season we need top 10 form just to stay up with the same players that took just 8 points from 27 at the end of last season.

Bloody hell I must be having a bad day, I agree with all that.  We need some forwards in the club now, who know where the net is.  

So far we are along way from that happening.

I feel he’s looking to build a Squad of young, athletic, powerful players to fit 352

A team that presses hard in the opponents half . His problem so far in my eyes is that he couldn’t get the players he inherited to follow his instructions. Now much of the deadwood has gone he can enforce some discipline, not least in defence 

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

If he actually said 'Sheff Wed' then he needs to sort it out. Nobody says that do they? If the star are paraphrasing him put Wednesday instead please, Sheff Wed sounds rubbish. I know we are rubbish before anyone says owt. 

Maybe Monk's vision is to shorten the clubs name?

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think we can glean what that vision is from the direction of our recruitment

Signing players who are younger and WANT to play for the club would be a start in the direction we need to go.

Sick of signing journey men who are just topping up their retirement plans.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Bloody hell I must be having a bad day, I agree with all that.  We need some forwards in the club now, who know where the net is.  

So far we are along way from that happening.

How do you know this? Is there any evidence? Or if it's a guess, here's mine.

Knowing we'd be left with only one senior striker in July, we've identified several striking options for next season and entered into negotiations with our preferred options - some of which are more advanced than others.

The truth, I suspect lies somewhere between the two...

8 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

How do you know this? Is there any evidence? Or if it's a guess, here's mine.

Knowing we'd be left with only one senior striker in July, we've identified several striking options for next season and entered into negotiations with our preferred options - some of which are more advanced than others.

The truth, I suspect lies somewhere between the two...

It's a total guess and I am thinking along the same lines as you in my none flippant mode.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It's a total guess and I am thinking along the same lines as you in my none flippant mode.

I hope the more optimistic view is reality too - I'm sure fan nervousness over next season would be much reduced if we can get a 'named' striker in this week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I hope the more optimistic view is reality too - I'm sure fan nervousness over next season would be much reduced if we can get a 'named' striker in this week.

Would be nice if we could sign someone in the next few days as you to say just to calm the nervous.

Plus the fact all the squad is heading to Litchfield Uni for some intense training this week, would be good for a bonding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can anyone enlighten me on what the vision is?  Serious question not interested in flippant posts (though I'm sure there will be).

I remember Monk speaking on this in Feb/March time and saying that the culture of the club needs changing etc etc. I'm sure much of that involved certain players needing to move on. Hopefully with him having more of his own staff and players we are closer to changing that culture and creating the vision that he wants. 

I'd love to know more of the vision and plan for the future. I just think it makes fans happy knowing we are trying to achieve something and can help us feel part of the process as opposed to how many feel isolated form the club still. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Would be nice if we could sign someone in the next few days as you to say just to calm the nervous.

Plus the fact all the squad is heading to Litchfield Uni for some intense training this week, would be good for a bonding. 

Good point.

Signing the 3 backroom staff gives me hope - we had identified the need for them and sorted all the deals out quickly and announced them all before preseason started.

• Like 2