Is It Time For PL2

3 minutes ago, gizowl said:

I think their will be a lot more clubs this coming season who find themselves in a similar predicament are the EFL there to read them their last rights or to try and help them? for the good of football these clubs need to be kept in existence. 

No-one disputes that but this thread is asking if It’s time for a PL2, a completely separate discussion.

Which for the record is a ludicrous  idea and complete non starter.

You have numerous posts running stating how the EFL are racist, have an agenda with Wednesday, are inconsistent with the rules and applying punishments and generally are destroying the game and generally not fit for purpose

Numerous posters (myself included) feel that Wednesday have a strong case to appeal and then you suggest an idea as an alternative to the shitshiw whichnis the EFL only for everyone to suddenly love the EFL and decide to back it.

Welcome to the mad world of owlstalk.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 1

Guest gizowl
1 minute ago, Owling with laughter said:

No-one disputes that but this thread is asking if It’s time for a PL2, a completely separate discussion.

Agree but the EFL atm are doing nothing positive for its members except hit them with penalties when they are already in serious difficulty and more and more clubs are going to find themselves in this situation over the coming months . The EFL just seem quite happy with the "another one bites the dust " attitude. 

Fact of the matter is the rules are there for all to see and a majority vote from EFL clubs brought them in. The fact that clubs like Bury and Macclesfield couldn’t play fixtures or pay wages isn’t the fault of the EFL. Also the fact that Wigan went into administration is also not the fault of the EFL. The fact we put a stadium sale into the wrong years accounts is not the fault of the EFL.

Yes the EFL may have their own internal problems in terms of how they may be handling certain issues but they weren’t the primary reason all the clubs above broke the rules that were agreed by all clubs. They’re not perfect but they aren’t the issue. 

I do think that timescales have to be put in place for cases to be heard and therefore it would have helped our case immensely. If an outcome is not heard by a certain time then penalties have to be levied on the EFL.

• Like 1

The best solution is TV money to come down in the PL, given them less of a product and for clubs to pull back and spend closer to the rest of the football league.

PL is far too big and is the reason for our demise and many other clubs.

7 hours ago, Manwë said:

Show me how the EFL is destroying the league, it's your accusation.  Show me how applying rules of the game is destroying it.  Remember the same rules also created the independence of the panel which found against the EFL on one charge.

This is Brexit all over again.  A load of people complaining about rules/laws that we helped create that we don't want applied to ourselves, so let's leave and create new rules where everything is great and in our favour.

Hi Ricky, hope you're keeping well

:duntmatter:

10 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

The best solution is TV money to come down in the PL, given them less of a product and for clubs to pull back and spend closer to the rest of the football league.

PL is far too big and is the reason for our demise and many other clubs.

Which is ironic, because Wednesday helped form the PL solely to make sure TV money stayed at the very top and not trickle down to the lower leagues.

Just now, happy bunny said:

Hi Ricky, hope you're keeping well

:duntmatter:

It's quite funny, I don't mind.

Just because I don't believe in conspiracy theories that everyone is out to get us, because I'm able to read a 41 page document (without pictures) and form my own opinion then of course, among people banging saucepans and pointing their pitchforks at the moon, I'm  clearly suspicious.

I've asked for proof of EFL destroying the league, none was given, except where clubs clearly broke the rules of the game (which were then enforced).  

• Like 3

The EFL may be incompetent and may need major changes in at the top. But until you address the disparity in finances between the PL and the rest of the professional game you will always have the current problem of club’s Outgoings exceeding their income. The game has developed financially to such an extent that even if we got to the Prem we’d struggle to compete with the likes of Citee and the Scousers. I’d like to see the really wealthiest clubs (notice I didn’t say the best) form a European league  all of their own and have a competition all on their own and not be part of the English scene. Reform the English 4 divisions and actually have a competition between clubs of similar standings. Let’s face it, the PL has been a competition between half a dozen clubs for years, with the odd party pooper occasionally crashing in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ANDY said:

It’ll never happen

the current prem clubs won’t want their moolah diluting down to another 20+ clubs. 

if anything they’d prefer a cut in current number of clubs in PL 

Im not sure it would need their permission.

It would just need a tv broadcaster to back it and a number or clubs to follow suit. But there would need to be an arrangement on promotion and relegation.

If PL2 was a financial cushion between the PL and EFL that was better than the championship  then a few clubs in the premier league might like it too as the risk of relegation is less worrying.

But having clubs with money to spend being told they cannot do so by smaller clubs, when a loss making industry is reliant on owners who want to spend, could well end up prompting something like this. Especially if we see more clubs getting the EFL deduction treatment over technicalities.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

So ludicrous that clubs have already looked at it 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blue and white said:

With the shitshow that is the EFL destroying our league, is it time to take football in a new direction and introduce PL2.

Also what would be needed to make this happen.

what would be needed to make it happen is Sheffield Wednesday finishing 10th/12th place in the Championship, so its a no from me for now haha

Edited by keepitsteel89

8 hours ago, Manwë said:

I'm glad you mentioned those three clubs.

Bury and Macclesfield couldn't take part in fixtures in the league because they couldn't pay wages and/or creditors.  That's against the rules.

Macclesfield also couldn't get a safety certificate for their stadium.  That's also against the rules.

Wigan went into administration.  It's against the rules.

It's not about kicking when they're down.  The administration deductions were introduced when clubs went into administration and weren't punished at all, and in fact benefitted immensely.  See Leicester City.

Not being able to field a team in a professional environment?   Of course the EFL need to punish it, it is the integrity of the league at stake.

I think the disparity between many clubs in the champ and those in leagues 1 and 2 is just too great now for one organisation. The gulf in ambition and finances is just too great. Not sure what the EFL does for us except try to keep us down and possibly attempt to make decisions to cause maximum disruption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can see the premier league, in its current format, changing somewhat in the next 20 years. Alex ferguson said a while ago he can see there being a European super league, maybe even a franchise format (similar to cricket and basketball). If this were to happen then clearly there would be implications for all the domestic leagues.