Da Cruz Could Be On His Way Back?

48 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Makes pelepussy look like de bruyne

Nobody can manage that I'm afraid.

Some of our fans do seem to be remembering the quality of players we had last season based on the QPR game alone and have blanked out the rest of the season from their memories, which I suppose is understandable.  

Guest Theboylangers

I know we're shopping in Lidl rather than Waitrose but you can still find some bargains in Waitrose.

Let's find one of those rather than Da Cruz who would struggle to get in any other squad in the division.

43 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

The cost of his wages. any loan fee and the valuable time of our coaching team? Would rather Beattie and co spent their time coaching players we own than trying to improve those of other clubs who's already failed to perform for us last season

As it stands at the moment Beattie and Rhodes gonna be sick of the sight of each other. 

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think that QPR game against one of the most disinterested teams I have seen in a long time, it has done Da Cruz and Windass a lot of favours. If you look at their contribution overall it was very limited.

Both have something about them but difficult to pin the to a role or position in which they might be more consistently effective in our team. We were rubbish last season yet with 12/13 players still remaining and some advocating the return of these players under the same manager, I can't see how we should expect any significant improvement.

I've picked out the QPR game because it was unquestionably his best appearance for us - and I'm hardly likely to mention his showing against Luton, say, am I if I'm wanting to talk up his potential?

It's not that I don't recall the poor performances he put in, but I would say he was definitely considerably better after the lockdown.

I'm also assuming - since we only have Rhodes up front at the moment - that whether we sign Da Cruz or not he'd only be one of 3 or possibly more forward signings we'll be making anyway. Naturally, I'd be worried if he were to be our main striking import for next season, but as part of a pool of four or five forwards, I can see his utility. Certainly, I think it's unlikely we'll have four or five forwards in place for next season all of whom we'll be thrilled to bits with at the prospect of them playing. We just have to get used to that.

And finally I merely said I'd be ‘okay’ about bringing him back, and that reflects my enthusiasm for us doing so - it's hardly a ringing endorsement for us signing him again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

I've picked out the QPR game because it was unquestionably his best appearance for us - and I'm hardly likely to mention his showing against Luton, say, am I if I'm wanting to talk up his potential?

It's not that I don't recall the poor performances he put in, but I would say he was definitely considerably better after the lockdown.

I'm also assuming - since we only have Rhodes up front at the moment - that whether we sign Da Cruz or not he'd only be one of 3 or possibly more forward signings we'll be making anyway. Naturally, I'd be worried if he were to be our main striking import for next season, but as part of a pool of four or five forwards, I can see his utility. Certainly, I think it's unlikely we'll have four or five forwards in place for next season all of whom we'll be thrilled to bits with at the prospect of them playing. We just have to get used to that.

And finally I merely said I'd be ‘okay’ about bringing him back, and that reflects my enthusiasm for us doing so - it's hardly a ringing endorsement for us signing him again.

That's a fairly long post for someone you're no more than OK about, fair enough though.

Which of his performances other than QPR impressed you?

43 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's a fairly long post for someone you're no more than OK about, fair enough though.

Which of his performances other than QPR impressed you?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Those two things have nothing to do with each other and you know that. Seriously, if you've nothing more to say to someone's reply then just leave it. And to do so is also ‘okay’.

But just for the sake of answering the question, all his appearances after the lockdown were decent with the exception of Fulham which was quite poor, and his 30 minutes against Huddersfield which was mediocre at best. He got an assist at Forest and in subsequent games showed he puts in a pretty dangerous corner ball. Against Bristol City he was an effective out-ball too - in fact, in periods of many of his post-lockdown games this was true, and after all, when your looking at a pool of strikers and a blend of attributes, you need someone who can stretch a defence.

Pre-lockdown he was mostly abysmal, with the possible exception of his debut off the bench at home (I forget who it was against).

• Like 1

If he’s not costing anything I’d take a chance in him. He has all the attributes to be a success, if a player such as him was scoring every other game he’d be so far out of our reach it’s unbelievable. 

Works hard, dynamic, pacy, bit of aggression add a bit of confidence and composure with some goals and the lads worth a fortune. 

Post lockdown I thought he was alright actually - very rarely lost the ball and it stuck to him. 

I reckon he's got another position in him rather than up top, for what he will be on - I'd risk a punt on him and make him a bit part player, will run teams ragged at the end if he can just run and run and run. 

• Like 1

I’m not jumping through hoops about him returning. His goal return here was poor but can remember a few keepers pulling some good saves off from Da Cruz. His goal scoring record doesn’t look anywhere near as bad else where, for a forward/winger, perhaps there is a player in there that Monk wants to gamble on, he had a pretty high pedigree only a couple of years ago and is only 23.

• Like 1

I can’t believe what I am reading here.

It is hard I know to assess players from the lockdown period as we couldn’t see the whole pitch. What I can say is that the matches pre lock down I have never seen a player pull on the shirt and look so out of his depth. He literally did not know where to run or stand on the pitch. I said it in a few posts back then, if monk continued to play him I would write to the fa and raise a player welfare issue as it was not fair to play him in the first team when he was so off the quality needed.

did fans not hear and see what was going on ? 

Post lock down I only saw games on tv but a couple of clueless dribbles and one good corner aside, nothing i saw made me think different 

• Haha 1