Da Cruz Could Be On His Way Back?

On 19/08/2020 at 11:44, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Just goes to show how low we are in the football food chain.

and thank god for that .....i embrace the fact that we seem to finally  have some plan on signing younger players on the cheap and hopefully moulding them into a squad that can survive and then hopefully prosper in this division ........whether it will work out we'll have to wait and see but it cant be any worse than playing overpaid losers who flatter to deceive for a period and then just sit out there fat contracts  as all hope of being successful as long gone .  

• Like 2

On 19/08/2020 at 08:46, Philb125 said:

This thread and a few others sums up Owlstalk for me. You have to build a squad of 25-26 players on a budget of about £18M a year salaries going by the Salary Cap recommendations and our history shows we spend in excess of £20M previously. So working to the £18M figure that is an average of £13.3K per player per week for 26 players.

You can't have a team/squad of stars on £20-25k per week, we tried that.... it didn't work and now we are up a creek, selling our stadium etc.  So you need a blend of players some of which are lessor players, on lessor salaries. Yet we as fans criticise without factoring in cost or value. 

Borner is judged vs Tom Lees, despite Lees costing twice as much per week. Atdhe was always judged vs Hooper, Fletcher etc despite those players being on two to three times as much. Westwood on eight to ten times Wildsmith salary yet judged identically. 

If the average squad player is earning £13.3 for every Bannan on £20K+ you need a Da Cruz on £5K or so. Luckily I think the penny has dropped with the club, as we seamingly have been bringing in lower average salary players for past two/three windows but fans still don't appear to have caught on. Bemoaning every lessor player we are linked with, with a sense of entitlement that is very odd considering the vast majority of last 20 or so years where we haven't had two pennies to rub together.

I think Da Cruz would be a useful player. I don't think he's finished article nor do I think he'll bag 15 goals but I think he'll deliver value for money with potential to improve. For all of the neh sayers - who else do you get for free costing less than 5K a month that has power and pace?

Again, super post mate. I have seen so many people posting about individual players, when it is a team game and as you point out a squad game.  The fukin pigs signed Leon Clarke. On here, it would have been TOTAL MELTDOWN. Yet, look what happened. He slotted into a team and system and bingo, he scores shed loads of goals....

THINK team, think squad.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

If a playet isn't good enough it doesn't matter that he is a cheap option. The bottom line is still that he isn't good enough. There is no value in bringing in players of league 1/2 standard who can't do the job they are being paid to do.

and I think you’ve nailed it.

Do we need 25 in a squad if 4 or 5 aren’t anywhere near good enough or desperately injury-prone? Save the salaries of those 4 or 5 and buy/loan a smaller number of healthier better players. 

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Or as you put it...he didn't sound very good on the radio...  lol

Aww hi Dave. Yeah I don’t go to any games, my ticket just sits in my drawer at home collecting dust while I’m watching the pigs. Well done old boy, give yourself a pat on the back. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

and thank god for that .....i embrace the fact that we seem to finally  have some plan on signing younger players on the cheap and hopefully moulding them into a squad that can survive and then hopefully prosper in this division ........whether it will work out we'll have to wait and see but it cant be any worse than playing overpaid losers who flatter to deceive for a period and then just sit out there fat contracts  as all hope of being successful as long gone .  

Totally agree with you

But Da Cruz is gash.

6 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

Interesting CV, he's been at higher level clubs than us, he obviously has a talent

We are shopping with players like this in mind, he fits the bill

Compared to last season, we're now in a better position to improve his play

What bill does he fit though? 

Where does he play?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Aww hi Dave. Yeah I don’t go to any games, my ticket just sits in my drawer at home collecting dust while I’m watching the pigs. Well done old boy, give yourself a pat on the back. 

So how many games during lockdown did you attend?

7 minutes ago, modboy said:

According to this he's on more than iorfa. 

Bonkers if true

https://footballleaguefc.com/sheffield-wednesday-2019-20-player-wages/

Ps Jones salary can't be right!!!!

Edit must be made up. Look at van aken

The majority fit reports on here and in the media.

They also fit certain games too.

You have to remember Van Aken was rated reasonably highly and linked with Lazio. We paid a few million for him. Think just under £3m. It’s not unlikely he is paid £20k a week, £1m a year. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

What bill does he fit though? 

Where does he play?

I'm happy to answer that

Right now we are looking to tighten our belt, money is available it seems but limited

The type of players we are signing are young, raw, have talent and are within budget

The CV fits in nicely with that model

He's had an audition, if Monk goes for it then I will back all parties

If not then hey ho 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

Leko proved in a handful of games for Charlton more than Da Cruz did for us after he signed. If we ended up getting Leko then can’t see a need to Da Cruz to come back.

Click below to see how good a Da Cruz, Leko partnership would be.....