Jump to content

Should the club be appealing?  

339 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you agree with the club that we should be appealing the 12 points deduction?

    • Yes
      273
    • No
      66


Recommended Posts

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/12051101/sheff-wed-efl-case-is-far-from-over

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends if we can be deducted more points. If not then yes of course it’s worth a go. If we can be punished further I don’t think we should as I can’t see us beating it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless appealing opens a new can of worms, it's a no-brainer to give it a go, even if the club is guilty of wrong-doing.

 

In the rule of law there are protocols and procedures, and guilty parties often get away with crimes due to an authority's failure to follow correct procedures (e.g. reading a criminal their rights at the time of arrest). This is business, so there's no sense in being sentimental by holding your hands up and accepting one's fate. The business ramifications of a points deduction are obvious, so of all the gambles to take, this may not be one to shy away from.

 

Edited by bobness
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said no on teh basis that I don't think anything will change regardless of the strength of the case. Totally inept from top to bottom the EFL

Link to post
Share on other sites

The club really need to focus all their efforts on the playing side of things, get new signings in ASAP and giving us the best chance of having a strong season. All this EFL crap will just continue to be a distraction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So hearing in Autumn but drags on into a verdict in April - Imagine 11 points behind Middlesborough for Automatic Promotion and then bang ... it gets overturned  ..... now wouldn't that be funny

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Django said:

This is the bit that I can’t get my head around. If they were aware of it and let it go through, then why have they come back months later and charged us?

A24E6AF9-E31B-4E7E-B4FB-23F96E47524E.jpeg

 

You are missing the point that we did not follow the legal guidelines on the purchase.

If you bought my house and I said we don't need solicitors and I will email you with the property rights on receipt

of the money,

would you be happy with this?

Edited by daleblue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Appeal brings more uncertainty.

Probably have been best to accept the points deduction, then players would know what the task is! 

But Chansiri is stubborn and proud man so appeal no surprise. 

Good luck to him and to us!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, daleblue said:

You are missing the point that we did not follow the legal guidelines on the purchase.

If you bought my house and I said we don't need solicitors and I will email you with the property rights on receipt

of the money,

would you be happy with this?

Eh, you are selling to yourself..do you not trust yourself..would you do a runner with the deeds.

lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, daleblue said:

 

You are missing the point that we did not follow the legal guidelines on the purchase.

If you bought my house and I said we don't need solicitors and I will email you with the property rights on receipt

of the money,

would you be happy with this?

 

4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Eh, you are selling to yourself..do you not trust yourself..would you do a runner with the deeds.

lol

 

Err, not sure what you mean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, daleblue said:

 

You are missing the point that we did not follow the legal guidelines on the purchase.

If you bought my house and I said we don't need solicitors and I will email you with the property rights on receipt

of the money,

would you be happy with this?

Whilst unorthodox I wouldn’t have a problem with it

:Chansiri:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Django said:

Whilst unorthodox I wouldn’t have a problem with it

:Chansiri:

 

Okidoki, got a place here, only want £50,000 send a cheque once it clears I'll send details of house. 

DM me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we should appeal. We clearly broke the rules and we are lucky the punishment is for next season.

 

The EFL is a shambles, awful, but we are still guilty.

 

I just hope we conduct our business in the right way going forward AND WITH PROPER ADVICE to the Chairman on all matters.

 

Every time I see someone post that Chansiri should take on the EFL, Steve Gibson and everyone else I have partisan emotions for a few seconds, then realise I have a lifelong support for a football team and not a Chairman who happens to be the current custodian, and I don't have to support him, just because.

 

Let's do it right from now on. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, daleblue said:

 

Okidoki, got a place here, only want £50,000 send a cheque once it clears I'll send details of house. 

DM me.

Can I pay you in lira?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, September65 said:

I don't think we should appeal. We clearly broke the rules and we are lucky the punishment is for next season.

 

The EFL is a shambles, awful, but we are still guilty.

 

I just hope we conduct our business in the right way going forward AND WITH PROPER ADVICE to the Chairman on all matters.

 

Every time I see someone post that Chansiri should take on the EFL, Steve Gibson and everyone else I have partisan emotions for a few seconds, then realise I have a lifelong support for a football team and not a Chairman who happens to be the current custodian, and I don't have to support him, just because.

 

Let's do it right from now on. 


good post. Very much agree that we are lucky the panel gave us the punishment for next season and not the season just gone as the EFL wanted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Going from the report in the Sun yesterday I thought the club had grounds for appeal.

 

Reading the written reasons today however I’m not so sure. We have clearly exceeded FFP and have been deducted the number of points the rules say need to be deducted for such a breach.

 

I honestly don’t think the club has a leg to stand on here.

 

The EFL led us down a path that suggested we would be OK, even after the deadline had passed for the Heads Of Terms to be legitimate. Even then, taking into account our failings on this, the specific points scaling did not exist at the time the charges should have been brought and the club and had the club not been led to believe that the stadium sale would be OK, we could have looked to sell players instead, which may not have prevented us from breaching but would have made the breach smaller and the deduction less.

 

However, If they are appealing that the stadium sale should have been allowed in 17-18 and we should not be charged at all in this period as appears to be the case, they must have got something significant in the 18-19 accounts as well because I would have expected us to still breach in the 3-years ending 2017, 18 and 19 even if the stadium sale is allowed in 2018. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:


good post. Very much agree that we are lucky the panel gave us the punishment for next season and not the season just gone as the EFL wanted. 

 

Why are we lucky in this respect? Their decision wasn't based on luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Django said:

Can I pay you in lira?

 

I'm easy going, but no, dollars would be better as I shall be leaving the Country shortly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is absolutely no chance we will get charge 1 overturned. If anyone thinks we will then just read that section of the report a couple of times. 

 

If we are appealing when the point deduction was applied, we are also on thin ice. There may be guidelines about imposing penalties as soon as possible, but there is nothing in the rules to say when the EFL must impose it. As incompetent as they may seem in taking so long, we also played our part in delaying matters.

 

Still, it's another pay day for the lawyers out of Chansiri's pocket. Money he could be putting into improving the stadium, the training ground or other facilities, but hey ho. De Marco needs another yacht, so who the fizz am I to argue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...