BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday WILL appeal the EFL -12 point deduction!

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is more uncertainty for Monk and his team hanging over them

If we appeal and have the hope that we are going to get the deduction reduced and it doesn't happen that's another big hammer blow

Not saying DC shouldn't appeal by the way - he absolutely should

But it's just more uncertainty and clouds hanging over us this new fresh season which isn't ideal

It's not though is it?

The club and him are planning 2020/21 with 12 points deduction. Anything less than this is a bonus.

1 minute ago, daleblue said:

Wasn't it an independent panel that gave us the 12 point deduction, or have I got that wrong?

That was the EFL who gave the deduction and we appealed to the panel who decided the original decision stands I believe 

7 minutes ago, THECOACH1867 said:

This beggars belief. To any fair minded person it shows absolute malicious intent on the part of the EFL against SWFC. They are clearly looking  to punish   SWFC differently to how they propose to deal with Derby. If an offence was committed and a punishment is required it should be applied in the season 2018/19. This "delay" on the part of the EFL is nothing to do with SWFC ...if the EFL can't properly manage its processes and procedures to deal with matters like this it should be disbanded. This report gives me great confidence that we will successfully appeal this. If the EFL and a panel of arbitration don't accept this it is the end of the football league. Are the EFL going to revisit Bournemouth now also or aren't they on the list of clubs they want to victimise.

Do you have a background in legal stuff?   That seems very well versed. 

38 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Has any team ever successfully appealed a points deduction in this country?

I think Swindon's original penalty in the early 90's was a 2 division penalty reduced to 1 on appeal.

We got shafted on that as well.....they owe us one!

I mentioned in the other thread that the two 'sides' have become entrenched in their respective positions. 

This clearly started last year when the club delayed the accounts and then snuck in the sale, to 'avoid' FFP breach and point deduction in 2018/19. The EFL through it's own incompetency and what looks like a retaliation, decided to charge the club with misconduct which clearly delayed the process to where we are now, which is we take the 'hit' in 20/21. Clearly now all is exposed, Charlton have a very serious grievance against the EFL.

We could end up with the 12 points being reduced but the points-penalty-scale says not. Not sure the basis of our appeal on charge 1, unless it's to point the finger at the EFL at bit more, but we still breached FFP.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Animis said:

It's not though is it?

The club and him are planning 2020/21 with 12 points deduction. Anything less than this is a bonus.

Well yes it is

Because they could be swayed by the hope that the points deduction could be reduced

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Well yes it is

Because they could be swayed by the hope that the points deduction could be reduced

We have broken FFP - that was always clear. We were always going to have a points deduction and it's a fairly well-known scale of how many, based on our losses.

I would say that once it was clear we had the 12 points this coming season, the players signed on this basis. We may get a 3-point deduction to reflect the strange circumstances and the EFL's poor management of the events, but we will still have to incur a points deduction. 

110% malicious intent from the EFL who have spat there dummy out because of there own sheer incompetence at been able to enforce there own rules within a reasonable timescale 

Hope the club wins the appeal, suspect we don’t through , because it will open the floodgates 

I dont think this in someway alleviates Chansiri from how he has run the club, but there appears to be little denying the fact that the EFL are not governing the game properly.

The whole thing reeks of agendas and inner politics. Not good.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

I mentioned in the other thread that the two 'sides' have become entrenched in their respective positions. 

This clearly started last year when the club delayed the accounts and then snuck in the sale, to 'avoid' FFP breach and point deduction in 2018/19. The EFL through it's own incompetency and what looks like a retaliation, decided to charge the club with misconduct which clearly delayed the process to where we are now, which is we take the 'hit' in 20/21. Clearly now all is exposed, Charlton have a very serious grievance against the EFL.

We could end up with the 12 points being reduced but the points-penalty-scale says not. Not sure the basis of our appeal on charge 1, unless it's to point the finger at the EFL at bit more, but we still breached FFP.

Exactly this. It seems for the amount we have overspent on FFP means we have to be given -12 and not less? 

This is a snippet from the BBC page. Surely incompetence on the part of Craig and Harvey cannot be used in defence?

However the worrying part is that it seems no such agreement was actually achieved either verbally or in writing, although if Harvey and Craig minds were focused elsewhere who's to say it wasn't agreed verbally?

-----------------

In its outline of the case, the commission says EFL director of legal affairs Nick Craig and former chief executive Shaun Harvey "assumed" documents over the sale of Hillsborough had been signed by 31 July 2018, which was required in order for it to be used against the club's 2017-18 profit and sustainability submissions.

However, the commission adds: "Had [Craig and Harvey] applied their minds fully to the situation at the time, it was obvious that this was not so."

It was pointed out both men were going on holiday "after a busy period" so it was possible to see how the matter was not given "the kind of scrutiny it has subsequently received".

The commission said the evidence made it clear there had been no agreement over the sale of the stadium prior to 31 July, either verbal or in writing.

It's a sorry affair, mistakes on both sides. But, EFL being responsible for governance carry the greater culpability IMO. 

Their conduct has been disingenuous and not proportionately fair. If there is a moral high ground in this scenario, we can (just about) claim it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

The club said they where confident of winning the original case......

We did in a way. The elf had to change the charge half way through the proceedings. 

we weren’t charged for the stadium only exceeding p&s. 

40 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

I certainly don’t think we’re going to hell in a handcart like most seem to do, recent coaching staff appointments, recent player incomings and the focus on the youth set up suggest lessons have been learnt and we are becoming a better run club.   The sensitive flower comment still stands by the way, it’s almost as if fans want to the club to fail so much that their default stance is to home in on negatives and blow them completely out of proportion.

Thanks for giving me the floor Vulva!

Agree with a lot of that, especially re the youth player route we appear to be going down. Re a better run club, not sure. We need to appoint a Paul Aldridge type, and allow DC to take a back step. Don’t agree with the general sentiment that we aren’t in a mess. Time will tell where this ends up, but I can’t see a way out at the minute unless someone fundamental changes are made to the infrastructure of the club. 

• Like 1