BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday WILL appeal the EFL -12 point deduction!

2 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

Late to the party here. Could someone tell me what we officially did wrong, to get the 12 point penalty?

Apparently Dc's english isn't very good although the EFL say it is and he is lying about not being able to understand english so the emails he sent to them saying we hadn't signed the sale of the ground they mistook for him saying we had sold it. Think that's the crux of it

lol

• Thanks 1

Guest Hornsby
On 18/08/2020 at 20:45, mkowl said:

You are right I presumed it would be on depreciated replacement cost - the same as Derby had done. That was an option that I thought unlikely - haven't actually checked if it said a valuation has been done or not. Tbh I presumed we would not want a 3m debit for FFP purposes to start each year. 

The accounts for July 19 if ever published will give more clarification i am sure, certainly more than the 2018 ones ever did

At para 128, says there was a Stadium Valuation letter dated 15 August which is where they also probably got three million annual rent from.

That said, doesn't say if done by RICS or any other qualified body.

Be interesting to see if club elected to tax the stadium disposal , so adding VAT to both sale price and annual rent.

This is normal where buying and selling and entities charge VAT when trading - most industries except finance - so can recover VAT paid (about two hundred thousand pounds tax for next new pitch, for example , as panel suggests Owls had FRI obligations.). 

40 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

At para 128, says there was a Stadium Valuation letter dated 15 August which is where they also probably got three million annual rent from.

That said, doesn't say if done by RICS or any other qualified body.

Be interesting to see if club elected to tax the stadium disposal , so adding VAT to both sale price and annual rent.

This is normal where buying and selling and entities charge VAT when trading - most industries except finance - so can recover VAT paid (about two hundred thousand pounds tax for next new pitch, for example , as panel suggests Owls had FRI obligations.). 

Not sure elect to tax is relevant here. It is a trading asset in use for the purpose of the business, we are not commercial property owners supplying buildings.

So VAT i think may have been chargeable unless we could use TOGC rules somehow

Ironically Sheffield 3 would have to make the elect to tax call as its activity is a landlord. 

But VAT is generally just a cash flow issue in these scenarios, one charges the other reclaims.

Guest Hornsby
On 20/08/2020 at 09:22, mkowl said:

Not sure elect to tax is relevant here. It is a trading asset in use for the purpose of the business, we are not commercial property owners supplying buildings.

So VAT i think may have been chargeable unless we could use TOGC rules somehow

Ironically Sheffield 3 would have to make the elect to tax call as its activity is a landlord. 

But VAT is generally just a cash flow issue in these scenarios, one charges the other reclaims.

Think HMCR may be interested as cash will flow to Sheffield 3 via a massive VAT refund if they paid tax on purchase but - as a newco - have no income. Assuming 10 million plus VAT first tranche purchase payment to Owls, that would generate a tax rebate of about 2 million to Sheffield 3. 

And most pub companies, for example, elected to charge VAT on sale and leaseback of their freeholds.