BREAKING NEWS!! EFL -12 Points - Full Written Explanation Thread

Just finished the 41-page document too, and my God, what a total clusterfck. I suspect an appeal will see us down to just -9 based on an argument of good faith (the document seems to insist that everyone acted in good faith, just on incorrect assumptions), but who knows. I agree with points 2 & 3 that @StudentOwl makes:

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

1. The EFL were actively vindictive in their pursuit of us

2. DC, nor any other officials at the club, are at the very least not actively dishonest

3. DC is in no way fit to run a football club

However I'm still failing to see the rationale for the first point—I can't see vindictiveness, just incompetence.

6 minutes ago, S W F C said:

Can someone summarise please in simple terms? 

My understanding is that the EFL had agreed that we could include the stadium sale in the accounts but then changed their mind? 

What have we actually done wrong? 

In Summary regarding DC and the EFL

1025103226_DCandEFL.jpg.4fd6cacd7c6127093c74508c213ad457.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, dr. benway said:

Just finished the 41-page document too, and my God, what a total clusterfck. I suspect an appeal will see us down to just -9 based on an argument of good faith (the document seems to insist that everyone acted in good faith, just on incorrect assumptions), but who knows. I agree with points 2 & 3 that @StudentOwl makes:

However I'm still failing to see the rationale for the first point—I can't see vindictiveness, just incompetence.

I'd say the EFLs different views on us and Derby certainly indicate some form of vindictiveness towards us.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dr. benway said:

re point 1... I think the fact that they were inherently assuming active dishonesty from us and trying to make the whole thing come across as far more serious than it necessary was. The attitude that DC was faking his lack of English in order to make things difficult. Even the commission say it's regretful that they were so intent on seeing quite a serious level of "bad" in how we conducted ourselves.

I'll add a fourth conclusion though...:

-The 12 point penalty is entirely justified. I agree with you re and appeal and hopefully they will reduce it to -9... but we deserve a points deduction in that ballpark without any shadow of a doubt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Well, having finished reading that, I've come to three conclusions:

1. The EFL were actively vindictive in their pursuit of us

2. DC, nor any other officials at the club, are at the very least not actively dishonest

3. DC is in no way fit to run a football club

Very similar conclusions.

Good on us for lodging an appeal, although I cannot see how they can reduce the points deduction. It is - 12 or nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Very similar conclusions.

Good on us for lodging an appeal, although I cannot see how they can reduce the points deduction. It is - 12 or nothing. 

Suppose it depends on the nature of our appeal. If we are saying 12 is unfair as Birmingham only got 9 we may see it reduced. 

If we are saying the whole thing is wrong we want the 12 points wiped of as it should have been done 2 years ago. I think we may come away still on -12. 

I guess our lawyers will be going after which one we think we have more chance of winning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

re point 1... I think the fact that they were inherently assuming active dishonesty from us and trying to make the whole thing come across as far more serious than it necessary was. The attitude that DC was faking his lack of English in order to make things difficult. Even the commission say it's regretful that they were so intent on seeing quite a serious level of "bad" in how we conducted ourselves.

No, that's a reasonable interpretation, and it'll be interesting to see if that makes it into the subsequent appeal.

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'll add a fourth conclusion though...:

-The 12 point penalty is entirely justified. I agree with you re and appeal and hopefully they will reduce it to -9... but we deserve a points deduction in that ballpark without any shadow of a doubt. 

I agree with you that we almost certainly deserve the deduction from a "moral" standpoint—we overspent wilfully and tried a get rich quick scheme to save our skins (and seemingly didn't even put that much thought into it). Though the sticking point I suppose is the EFL giving the go-ahead and then changing their minds.

What a mess.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

Basically KM grassed DC up... she should’ve said something along the lines of “I thought we were going to breach P&S but I forgot we’d sold the stadium, how silly of me. What am I like!” Followed by an awkward fake laugh.

lol

What a complete shambles.

Reading that gives me zero confidence in anyone running a) our club and b) the EFL

The fact that we managed to find a loophole to dodge P&S sanctions AND STILL MANAGED TO F IT UP is beyond scary.

EFL aren't fit for purpose either, thoroughly depressing.

• Like 4

Point deduction or no point deduction, we’ll always be one step away from a precarious situation with DC as owner. 

Extremely slow decision making, inability to communicate effectively with his staff, and on and on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

What a complete shambles.

Reading that gives me zero confidence in anyone running a) our club and b) the EFL

The fact that we managed to find a loophole to dodge P&S sanctions AND STILL MANAGED TO F IT UP is beyond scary.

EFL aren't fit for purpose either, thoroughly depressing.

I don’t get how we managed to f it up... 

if they agreed we could do it, but then changed their mind, what have we done wrong? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Madness

Is that suggesting that the EFL tried to discredit Chansiri by claiming his use of the English language was better than he was portraying? If so, wow, that's some accusation to make and have rejected.

Just now, S W F C said:

if they agreed we could do it, but then changed their mind, what have we done wrong? 

We failed to get a legally sound document in place—everyone just assumed what we had was sufficient. Because of the short timescale, no-one drafted in qualified legal advice.

• Thanks 1

Just now, S W F C said:

Signed heads of terms in August when it had to be done by 31st July being the main issue....

Having already declared in May that's what we were going to do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, S W F C said:

We were basically a year late in actually getting the necessary paperwork completed from my interpretation of what I've read.

Again, to reiterate, it seems we tried to propose and arrange the stadium sale in the space of about six working days... despite having months to clock we were going to break P&S without an artificial cash injection like that. 

• Thanks 1