BREAKING NEWS!! EFL -12 Points - Full Written Explanation Thread

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Interesting that we are appealing. Obviously they can’t deduct points for last season now so we are safe. But can’t see us getting rid of the points deduction just because it wasn’t done years ago.

Think we will be after a reduction in points rather then them completely gone.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Just read all 41 pages......... We will successfully appeal. Not because we weren’t riding close to the wind but because the EFL have bungled and bludgeoned their way through the process.

With any luck, we will win and the EFL will be forced to restructure from the top down.

You may be right. The EFL are incompetent, no doubt about it. As you say, they may just be more incompetent than DC which may work for the club.

Doesnt excuse our own ineptitude mind.

• Like 4

I'd resigned myself to the idea of a relegation battle. Fingers crossed!

If we do lose the appeal the only logic I can see to the timing of penalties is that it should be applied as soon as possible after the breach occurs - but with the extended season and the weakened squad it would have been unfair to hit us this season as the independent panel suggests.

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

I'd resigned myself to the idea of a relegation battle. Fingers crossed!

If we do lose the appeal the only logic I can see to the timing of penalties is that it should be applied as soon as possible after the breach occurs - but with the extended season and the weakened squad it would have been unfair to hit us this season as the independent panel suggests.

With Monk in charge you might still get your relegation battle regardless of the outcome of this. :ph34r:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wow - just reading this account of the proceedings/hearing

Really interesting read and tells a great story of how we were up against the deadline to do something to not breach P&S including the fact we had to sell players before midnight not to breach!!

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/image/201920/1920-judgements/efl-v-sheffield-wednesday-fc---decision.pdf

Just got to that bit... I suspect by the time I've finished reading all this I'm going to think both the EFL and upper management of SWFC are completely unfit for purpose. 

We must have known for literally months/years about our predicted overspend and yet we were leaving mere hours to avoid punishment??

• Like 2

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Just got to that bit... I suspect by the time I've finished reading all this I'm going to think both the EFL and upper management of SWFC are completely unfit for purpose. 

We must have known for literally months/years about our predicted overspend and yet we were leaving mere hours to avoid punishment??

It's gripping stuff this - love how they've written it out!

Owlstalk Shop

Hope this helps anyone not wanting to wade through it. Errors and omissions excepted...

Tribunal Findings – Summary

Verdict

The tribunal found that SWFC had breached the P&S regulations in the three years up to and including the 2018/19 season. They levied a twelve point penalty to be imposed in 2020/21 season.

Reasons for verdict

The tribunal found that the club had breached P&S by the end of the accounting period. They hint that there were claims by the club that the ground sale should have been retrospectively included but the tribunal did not take these on board and took the EFL view that the final date was the end of the period. This position makes it clear that the overall losses incurred to go well above (£18m) the £39m allowed in a three year period thus a full twelve point tariff is given with no suspension.

Tribunal threw out a claim from the EFL that the club acted in bad faith.

Findings EFL

EFL were inconsistent in attempting to apply different seasons sanctions to the Wednesday and Derby cases (well done Nick De Marco on getting the info here).

The BCFC case gave some principle to ensuring that clubs should be able to fight off the points deduction on the pitch within the season it was applied.

Most criticism is laid at the EFL bringing the second charge which was thrown out. This apparently was not well investigated by EFL and unnecessarily delayed the whole tribunal. Pretty much slaughtered them on a few levels.

Findings SWFC

The club breached. That’s about it in terms of findings. No other wrongdoing and got exonerated in the bad faith claim.

Next steps and likely outcome

The whole appeal will be about timing - whether the tribunal should have taken the accounting period as the proper date or the audited accounts produced well after this date.  

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think we will be after a reduction in points rather then them completely gone.

Not sure. Despite the statement it say that during the hearing it was conceded we didn’t get the sale ratified in time for those accounts, ie the paperwork and the accounts were audited on the understanding it was.

I think any appeal would be more like a judicial review where they state the EFL might have a point but have applied the rules incorrectly in terms of timing themselves. Ie we might be working to the wrong timescale but so are they and as such the whole case is too late/null. As it wasn’t 18/19 when the EFL were aware of this. Which is a tall order but if it works it’s a result!

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

It wasn't pulled, it was merged with the other one.

they should merge the Guardian into one - big snowflake. 

Our appeal will take us near Christmas. There is now way huge changes regarding this farcical FFP will not have to be bought in due to Covid 19. And the fact they’re not fit for purpose. 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 10.28.18.jpg

It reads like a thriller this...

Proper good read if you have 20 minutes to spare

It's written like a novel

lol

Basically KM grassed DC up... she should’ve said something along the lines of “I thought we were going to breach P&S but I forgot we’d sold the stadium, how silly of me. What am I like!” Followed by an awkward fake laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wow - just reading this account of the proceedings/hearing

Really interesting read and tells a great story of how we were up against the deadline to do something to not breach P&S including the fact we had to sell players before midnight not to breach!!

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/image/201920/1920-judgements/efl-v-sheffield-wednesday-fc---decision.pdf

Was that the Lucas sale?