Bannan

Clubs will have watched him but decided he is not what they need in a midfielder, hence no offers. If anyone comes up with over £500k we should snap their hands off.

We have a virtual clone in the u23's in Alex Hunt, he is confident and tidy with the ball but has the same traits as BB. He doesn't win many headers, does not win many tackles and rarely intercepts. He is also guilty of not concentrating on tracking back or staying with his man but he can ping the ball about. In short he is only useful once we have the ball, top midfielders need more. 

I like Hunt  at this age but it is obvious to push on he needs to make up for his size in other ways, on the other hand BB is currently the most overrated player I've seen at Hillsborough for a long while and likely on a downward curve. I like the optimism of replacing Bannan with Hourihane. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, should know better said:

Clubs will have watched him but decided he is not what they need in a midfielder, hence no offers. If anyone comes up with over £500k we should snap their hands off.

We have a virtual clone in the u23's in Alex Hunt, he is confident and tidy with the ball but has the same traits as BB. He doesn't win many headers, does not win many tackles and rarely intercepts. He is also guilty of not concentrating on tracking back or staying with his man but he can ping the ball about. In short he is only useful once we have the ball, top midfielders need more. 

I like Hunt  at this age but it is obvious to push on he needs to make up for his size in other ways, on the other hand BB is currently the most overrated player I've seen at Hillsborough for a long while and likely on a downward curve. I like the optimism of replacing Bannan with Hourihane. 

Good grief🙄

58 minutes ago, should know better said:

Okay so basically you personally don't like Barry Bannan for some reason

But explain me this...

Pretty much every single game (not just every now and again - ever single game) Barry Bannan's stats (you know... FACTS) show that he's by far the best player on the pitch

By absolute miles

The number of interceptions he makes
Completed Passes
Key Passes
Crosses
etc etc etc

Every single game

Can you explain to us how Barry Bannan is 'the most overrated player you've seen at Hillsborough for a long while' gets better stats than any other player on the pitch pretty much every single game? How come? Why is that? How do you explain it?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

West brom were interested last season but at the time they didnt have a manager and we had bruce, and there was a real feeling in the squad good things were going to happen (cheers steve!) To say hes overrated is talksport level sensationalism, although it worked as I nibbled I suppose....any criticism of bannan is more a damning indictment of our recruitment, because instead of securing a top ball winner to play next to him, we instead bombed off Hutchinson and got in Pelupessy

Stats?

where are they for allowing your opposition to simply run past you, where are they for stood on the periphery when the opposition are attacking and then coming back to take over if we win the ball back. Do you have his stats for corner taking, is he as good as Darren Potter. Maybe the stats will show that we lose many more games without him. Perhaps the stats show that Reach is the best free kick taker in the league after all he took one and scored. From memory I don't think his scoring stats are very good at all.

Therefore we have someone who is fed the ball to punt many more times than other teams with a more effective style, therefore the law of averages should favour him. He is poor at shooting, tackling, heading, dribbling and defending but still a top six midfielder!

We now have to believe it is Hutchinsons fault that he is not as effective cos the replacements are not that good, maybe if we had bought Hourihane to play with Hutchinson we would have been more successful.

Still look forward to hearing the mega bids for him from other teams particularly in view of our current situation.

I realise there are some who said he was better than Cairney, Moy and Shelvey and that none of SUFC's midfielders could get into our midfield but time appears to contradict those thoughts. 

• Like 3

Might have a slight apology to make to BB fans, I bit at the stats and took a third party view on championship midfielders

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/marktwerte/wettbewerb/GB2/plus//galerie/0?pos=Mittelfeld&detailpos=7&altersklasse=alle

the link shows BB as 25th best in championship (much higher than I thought) and worth £2.16m so I hope we can get around that figure as we need to get rid of the big earners whilst they have a resale value.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, should know better said:

Idiot alert!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

you don’t have to announce that every time you arrive! In all seriousness though, post not poster!! 

******** off mate!  Lol

11 hours ago, should know better said:

Might have a slight apology to make to BB fans, I bit at the stats and took a third party view on championship midfielders

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/marktwerte/wettbewerb/GB2/plus//galerie/0?pos=Mittelfeld&detailpos=7&altersklasse=alle

the link shows BB as 25th best in championship (much higher than I thought) and worth £2.16m so I hope we can get around that figure as we need to get rid of the big earners whilst they have a resale value.

No stick to your original thought in that he is overrated.

I think Bannan deserves credit.

He obviously enjoyed playing under Carlos with a lot of good players and we played some good passing football. Good bond in that squad.

The others fell by the wayside, injured, old or simply preferred just to take the money and do nowt but Bannan has kept turning in decent performances week after week while the quality around him has drastically reduced.

100% commitment.

He gets frustrated, which leads to petulance, and while not condoning it , I can understand it.

He has been key to the team over the last few years, probably too key, but that’s not his fault.

Can’t see him leaving, and will be interesting to see the role we ask him to do.

• Like 3

On 16/08/2020 at 22:44, S36 OWL said:

We need to start selling players when while  they have some value. This is where we have messed up for years. If a good offer comes in for him, sell and reinvest in younger players with their careers in front of them. For too long now we have let players run down their contracts and leave for nowt. Its time to start being more savvy. 

Absolutely. I think if we can move him on this summer for a decent fee it is definitely worth it.