Proper centre forward

2 minutes ago, Owl Stork said:

Yeah, I know that. We used both terms at school depending on how insulting we wanted to be. Neshing was another term I only heard in Sheffield.

Yep - neshing a tackle. Also, I haven’t heard the term “goalie wag” much outside Sheffield - it’s more “stick keeper”. Interestingly, stick keeper is the other side of the coin to goalie wag - they both imply the same thing but the former is about staying in the net and the latter is about the keeper coming out. 

4 hours ago, RevOwl said:

If Monk is intending to get Murphy back he's probably looking at using him and Harris as out and out wingers who skin the defender and put crosses in. If this is the case then a proper centre forward is needed to feed off of those crosses. Not a striker who's all over the front line but a traditional centre forward who is the focus of the crosses. Someone who can head a ball and bully defenders. Someone that's always in the right place at the right time and only there to pepper the goal with shots, headers or whatever else he can put on the end of a cross. Too many now spend half the game holding the ball up to bring others in to play only for nothing to come of it as he himself is now not in a goal scoring situation. We need a good old fashioned bog liner who knows how to beat the offside trap and be on the end of crosses or defence splitting passes. Jordan Rhodes was like it at Huddersfield and Blackburn he never ventured far he was solely on the pitch as a goal scorer.  We need a poacher as well as someone who'll stick there head on anything no matter how dangerous. We need a proper centre forward not a striker that's all over the front line. He can't be on the end of his own crosses where he's had to go out wide to get involved. 

Perhaps someone like Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Not the young hungry type but deadly in the air and has played at this level for a while fairly successfully. If we use our wingers to put in crosses, he could definitely do a job and give us another option to win games, when a plan B or C is needed- or even plan A!

very well known by our management team and would Likely be affordable on a 1 or 2 year contract.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, owlsite said:

Perhaps someone like Lukas Jutkiewicz.

Not the young hungry type but deadly in the air and has played at this level for a while fairly successfully. If we use our wingers to put in crosses, he could definitely do a job and give us another option to win games, when a plan B or C is needed- or even plan A!

very well known by our management team and would Likely be affordable on a 1 or 2 year contract.

It’d be well funny if we sign Jutkiewicz. In Nuhiu, we’ve just got rid of someone with a name that loads of Wednesdayites struggle to pronounce correctly and we’d replace him with another. Brian Laws would be in a right tangle. 

12 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If we're going to play a pressing game from the front then we need someone with pace up front to do it. Rhodes or Jutkiewicz. can't do that

I would love us to play like that because, by default, we’d be on the front foot. 

5 hours ago, RevOwl said:

If Monk is intending to get Murphy back he's probably looking at using him and Harris as out and out wingers who skin the defender and put crosses in. If this is the case then a proper centre forward is needed to feed off of those crosses. Not a striker who's all over the front line but a traditional centre forward who is the focus of the crosses. Someone who can head a ball and bully defenders. Someone that's always in the right place at the right time and only there to pepper the goal with shots, headers or whatever else he can put on the end of a cross. Too many now spend half the game holding the ball up to bring others in to play only for nothing to come of it as he himself is now not in a goal scoring situation. We need a good old fashioned bog liner who knows how to beat the offside trap and be on the end of crosses or defence splitting passes. Jordan Rhodes was like it at Huddersfield and Blackburn he never ventured far he was solely on the pitch as a goal scorer.  We need a poacher as well as someone who'll stick there head on anything no matter how dangerous. We need a proper centre forward not a striker that's all over the front line. He can't be on the end of his own crosses where he's had to go out wide to get involved. 

Maybe a paragraph to go with that striker 😨

Wickham n Rhodes,straight down middle,not allowed to go more then 10 yards away from each other,no going out wide,give em 10 games together as the main two,and smash everything into penalty spot,from Bannan,Murphy and Harris,soon as they get ball....Boooooom,3-nil....easy this manager sh it....

UTO....

Edited by DIPPS_S.W.F.C

You could buy Rashford,Kane and Salah,but if the defence is crap,youve wasted every penny.

The platform for building a successfull side starts at the back,and our defence is no where near good enough,once Loovens went and Westwood became more exposed,the cracks begun to show,Pudil declined very quickly once signed up to a permanent deal,weve added only mediocre defenders since CC left,we never spent a fee on keeper good enough to challenge westwood and we are now realising the results,and in the process ruining the careers of what were two young promising keepers.

Whilever your solid at the back you stand the chance of nicking a 1-0 win,if your chasing games from constantly conceeding the 1st goal,your forever on the backfoot and play conservitively in fear of conceeding the next goal

17 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Dissapointed we weren't in for the likes of Lyle Taylor and Keifer Moore.

Good solid players at this level that can put the ball in the back of the net!

Do you know that we weren’t?

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shandypants said:

Yep - neshing a tackle. Also, I haven’t heard the term “goalie wag” much outside Sheffield - it’s more “stick keeper”. Interestingly, stick keeper is the other side of the coin to goalie wag - they both imply the same thing but the former is about staying in the net and the latter is about the keeper coming out. 

Maybe you should start a thread. Find out what is pure Sheffield and what is more widespread. I think I've heard goalie wag down in Devon where I live, but I played 5 a side with Geordies and Mancs too, so might have heard it from them. Bobar is another term you never hear outside the Sheffield area. Always makes me chuckle when I hear it.

Keifer Moore was a steal at 1.5m..............thats the type of player needed strong and athletic, there must be this type in the lower leagues that we could take a punt on, every other team gets one and makes money on them...............we are always the club that other clubs make money from, needs to change.