Proper centre forward

If Monk is intending to get Murphy back he's probably looking at using him and Harris as out and out wingers who skin the defender and put crosses in. If this is the case then a proper centre forward is needed to feed off of those crosses. Not a striker who's all over the front line but a traditional centre forward who is the focus of the crosses. Someone who can head a ball and bully defenders. Someone that's always in the right place at the right time and only there to pepper the goal with shots, headers or whatever else he can put on the end of a cross. Too many now spend half the game holding the ball up to bring others in to play only for nothing to come of it as he himself is now not in a goal scoring situation. We need a good old fashioned bog liner who knows how to beat the offside trap and be on the end of crosses or defence splitting passes. Jordan Rhodes was like it at Huddersfield and Blackburn he never ventured far he was solely on the pitch as a goal scorer.  We need a poacher as well as someone who'll stick there head on anything no matter how dangerous. We need a proper centre forward not a striker that's all over the front line. He can't be on the end of his own crosses where he's had to go out wide to get involved. 

1 hour ago, RevOwl said:

If Monk is intending to get Murphy back he's probably looking at using him and Harris as out and out wingers who skin the defender and put crosses in. If this is the case then a proper centre forward is needed to feed off of those crosses. Not a striker who's all over the front line but a traditional centre forward who is the focus of the crosses. Someone who can head a ball and bully defenders. Someone that's always in the right place at the right time and only there to pepper the goal with shots, headers or whatever else he can put on the end of a cross. Too many now spend half the game holding the ball up to bring others in to play only for nothing to come of it as he himself is now not in a goal scoring situation. We need a good old fashioned bog liner who knows how to beat the offside trap and be on the end of crosses or defence splitting passes. Jordan Rhodes was like it at Huddersfield and Blackburn he never ventured far he was solely on the pitch as a goal scorer.  We need a poacher as well as someone who'll stick there head on anything no matter how dangerous. We need a proper centre forward not a striker that's all over the front line. He can't be on the end of his own crosses where he's had to go out wide to get involved. 

In which case we already have one in Jordan Rhodes.  Job done!! 

It depends massively on whether Monk and Beattie see Rhodes as a key part of our season.

If he is we MUST buy a Fletcher-type partner. He’s hopeless without one, so he ties up £35k per week of our striker budget but delivers nothing.

I think and hope Beattie is better than that. I think he will see that it’s about partnerships up front. 

Getting rid of Rhodes or keeping him turns everything on it’s head.

I think we certainly need this type, doesn’t necessarily need to be an old fashioned forearms in the face type (which I wouldn’t mind) but someone tall, aggressive and mobile would be better. An ideal candidate for developing seems on his way to QPR.

We need 2/3 strikers with different attributes.

Edited by Bluesteel

Guest Therealrealist
3 hours ago, Owl Stork said:

Is bog liner Sheffield slang? Never heard that term outside of Sheffield.

I’m from Sheffield and I’ve always called them bog liners..I’ve heard southerners call em goal hangers..where you from and wot do you call em?