Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Why do people keep blaming the EFL?

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Agenda?

FFS. Open your eyes. 

Have you even read the article?

That’s EXACTLY what it implies. It’s also the reason the disciplinary panel chose not to punish us this season. 

FFS. Open your eyes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The story is illogical at best and seems to be a common theme amongst all journos.

Deduct points off us for an offence which happened in another campaign and Charlton should feel aggrieved because they went down this season - eh?? 

Charlton dire performances this season has nothing to do with our predicament - clutching at straws

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, as has been the case with a number of clubs that have been promoted. The money they spent over and above the limits helped them up but the accounts come the year after and it is too late to do anything about it.

Our breach came in the same accounting period as Birmingham, they got a 9 point deduction which ultimately had minimal impact on them, we start next season with -12.

If this is true then I would expect an appeal or Chansiri to sue the EFL for inappropriate behaviour.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

The story is illogical at best and seems to be a common theme amongst all journos.

Deduct points off us for an offence which happened in another campaign and Charlton should feel aggrieved because they went down this season - eh?? 

Charlton dire performances this season has nothing to do with our predicament - clutching at straws

The Charlton bit is spin to create interest.

Main point we should be concerned with was efl playing loose with their proceedings to avoid punishment in 2028/19 season.

Look at it this was how different would the positivity have been at Xmas 2019 if 12 points already done with prior year and club went 3rd with no charges hanging over club

Guest wilyfox

Rather than intervene and punish at the correct time, the EFL were saving the deduction for a time it would do most damage. If that isn't a plot or agenda against the club, then I don't know what is.

Just now, wilyfox said:

Rather than intervene and punish at the correct time, the EFL were saving the deduction for a time it would do most damage. If that isn't a plot or agenda against the club, then I don't know what is.

They are doing same with Derby. 

Delaying until next year because punishment in 2020 wouldn't have made a difference

It's a disgrace and manipulating tables / outcomes by the regulating body!

If this report is true, effectively it boils down to the EFL not believing that the MAXIMUM punishment for this offence isn’t harsh enough and them trying to delay punishment to ensure our relegation instead.

If true how can the EFL effectively try to impose an even harsher punishment on the club that what is stated in the rules. They appear to have said that 12 points isn’t enough so we’ll delay it until we think 12 points will get them relegated and THEN we’ll apply the punishment.

I’m starting to see why the club initially questioned the legality of these charges.

If this report is true, I’d be amazed if the club don’t appeal this.

• Like 2

What a mess. Two utterly disfunctional organisations (Wednesday & The EFL) twisting and turning and trying to find any loophole or angle to get their way.

No doubt this thing is going to rumble on and on with the only beneficiaries being the lawyers.

As a matter of urgency the EFL must somehow find a way to ensure that the Championship is a totally fair competition by either limiting the spending power of clubs who enter it from the Prem with their spending power supercharged or allowing existing Championship to financially compete with these relegated clubs.

Whatever happened to 22 blokes kicking a football around for 90 minutes and at the end of the season the best 3 teams getting promoted and the 3 worst relegated?

Its become more about money and the riches of reaching footballs promised land. Football is broken and needs fixing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

This was my thinking. If the players hadn’t given up last season we’d have had our points deducted last season and we could look forward to next season starting a fresh. But because the players gave up it could mean the next few seasons are ruined for us.

Not a problem for them though as most of them knew they were off. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

It is, at the very least un-ethical, at worst it borders corruption. Who in efl made this decision? Why? As the efl is ‘the clubs’ Which clubs knew or pushed for this?

This could go very far in the courts  if DC Has the desire too

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/89590/sheff-weds-decision-12-points-next-season/p13

Charlton meltdown lol

It's from their angle obv, they don't realise how badly we have been messed about with it, they skip that bit 

I haven’t read it. But for the most part a lot of fans on social media seem to associate FFP penalties as if they are admin, when they are not and auto relegation is absolute worst case.

We have also been under soft embargoes for a while now so we’ve not seen the benefit for spending for some time.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dot said:

The clubs comments that the charges are unlawful and that they intend to seek damages begin to make sense now

This is the interesting part. 

Does the chairman use that as leverage to appeal the decision? 

Or take the points deduction but go after the EFL for unlawful actions and seek damages ? 

I don’t understand the legalities but the EFL could be on a very sticky wicket here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

I wonder what the EFL agenda would have been against us if we hadn't broken FFP rules in the first place. Nevermind by £18M. Hmmm...I wonder what nastiness they'd have had in store for us. 

Think that sort of massively misses the point.

Getting punished for FFP breaches is fair enough, we deserve everything we get in the respect.

What is troubling is there seems to be more going on here than the EFL looking to uphold their rules. Delaying bringing the charges because they wanted to relegate us? If that article is true, then that really does throw up further questions about the EFL and their ability/integrity.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, as has been the case with a number of clubs that have been promoted. The money they spent over and above the limits helped them up but the accounts come the year after and it is too late to do anything about it.

Our breach came in the same accounting period as Birmingham, they got a 9 point deduction which ultimately had minimal impact on them, we start next season with -12.

I thought the period of breach was 15/16, 16/17, 17/18 which is why the punishment should have been applied in 18/19.

Regardless of who messed up where there should be a time limit as to when a punishment can be applied for a specific three year period.

If the EFL can't meet that deadline they miss the boat.

Same for clubs with appeals.

• Like 1