Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

16 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

C9FF2676-90F7-4232-B843-56DB9D66232F.png.06bc87fb0594674dded10f1e117fef07.png

In 18/19, the EFL would have had to dock us 25 points to relegate us. This is well above the maximum allowed for our crime. (Thanks Rotherham for being so bad). 

I do think the EFL have got a bee in their bonnet with us but only because we broke the rules and brazenly tried to find loop holes. 

DC said that we would be in deep trouble if we didn’t get promoted in 18/19. You can’t say that without someone looking into you if you don’t go up. 

That said, if what is written is the truth then the EFL have to be disbanded. 
You cannot run multiple football leagues with favourites and grudges. 

Cant wait for the report to be published. 

Absolutely. Fairest option would be to dock us points in that season, we repay any additional prize money finishing 12th and retrospectively fix history books putting us lower based on 12/21 point deduction. Then we start this term on zero  and all is forgiven. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

So it's a double whammy then.  You don't own the stadium and have to pay rent on it which will damage FFP.  Oh AND you didn't get the money from the sale.  Brilliant.

To be honest I don't get all the panic over ownership of ground. DC owns swfc  lock stock & barrel. So selling to himself  just equates to the same!  Now if he's sells club  he would sell ground too, cus what good is one without other?.  The only  thing that would concern is if we did a pigs and got outside investment then a fall out happens. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Absolutely. Fairest option would be to dock us points in that season, we repay any additional prize money finishing 12th and retrospectively fix history books putting us lower based on 12/21 point deduction. Then we start this term on zero  and all is forgiven. 

For the third time...

*inhales*

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PRIZE MONEY DEPENDING ON LEAGUE POSITION. IF WE BACKDATE THE POINTS DEDUCTION, THERE IS ZERO PUNISHMENT

*exhales*

And I don't think anyone would sanely say we deserve no punishment whatsoever. So it isn't an option.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

For the third time...

*inhales*

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN PRIZE MONEY DEPENDING ON LEAGUE POSITION. IF WE BACKDATE THE POINTS DEDUCTION, THERE IS ZERO PUNISHMENT

*exhales*

And I don't think anyone would sanely say we deserve no punishment whatsoever. So it isn't an option.

So if we’d have finished 13 points clear, they apply penalty of 12 and we get zero punishment? So applying the way they have or mid season when yet to be decided, is the only way they could have? 

8 hours ago, snaykz said:

Certainly seems to give some credibility to the idea that the EFL has an agenda against our club. Disgusting from the EFL. 

They didn’t just want us to get the standard punishment at the time we should have received it. Instead, they delayed the hearing and actively tried to relegate us. I can’t think of any other club who’s breached FFP that they’ve treated this way. 

Absolutely fuming.

Absolutely spot on and it also makes you wonder if they influenced the appalling refereeing decisions we keep getting hammered with. Some of the decisions by referees over the last two to three seasons have been Some of the worst officiating i have ever witnessed during my 42 years watching Wednesday. 

• Like 4

Wow the EFL really are a malicious organisation aren't they.  

So desperate were they to cause as much damage to our club as possible.

Really disgusting. The EFL cannot continue in its current form, it will destroy football. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jackowl1 said:

Absolutely spot on and it also makes you wonder if they influenced the appalling refereeing decisions we keep getting hammered with. Some of the decisions by referees over the last two to three seasons have been Some of the worst officiating i have ever witnessed during my 42 years watching Wednesday. 

No no no you have zero evidence of a conspiracy against SWFC, please let's not go down that road.

To suggest that referees would go out of their way to cheat is a massive jump to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep reading that the EFL have an agenda against Wednesday.

The fact is the EFL are the sum total of the 72 clubs.  They have a management committee, but the rules are agreed with the clubs at AGM. Wednesday knew the rules and deliberately broke them.

We got lucky.  

The basic cause of all this is the riches and lure of the Prem, including the parachute payments.

But that's the fault of the FA for allowing the top division to secure a separate TV contract to the other 3 divisions.  

Unfortunately the armchair fan wants to watch Liverpool v Chelsea, not Lincoln v Cheltenham. 

Only the FA have the power to sort it, not the EFL. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

For the third time...

*inhales*

*exhales*

That's debatable.

At any one time one third of the teams in this division are parachute.

Leeds fell back on Revie to land Bielsa, and the Blades were outrageously lucky to get Wilder, but the usual route out of this division is to spend.

If a team has the backers - and according to Martin Samuel we do (Chansiri's family, so it's internal) - then in my view there is no problem.

If, however, a team is borrowing from outside to fund its actions then that's different.

You'll say we signed up to it, but did Chansiri himself put pen to paper?

Chansiri is known to bitterly resent the financial advantage enjoyed by the ex-PL outfits.

And at the time we signed were the full implications of these parachute payments clear.

This system is absolutely intolerable, and simply punishes ambition.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

The fact is the EFL are the sum total of the 72 clubs.  They have a management committee, but the rules are agreed with the clubs at AGM. Wednesday knew the rules and deliberately broke them.

We got lucky.  

The basic cause of all this is the riches and lure of the Prem, including the parachute payments.

But that's the fault of the FA for allowing the top division to secure a separate TV contract to the other 3 divisions.  

Unfortunately the armchair fan wants to watch Liverpool v Chelsea, not Lincoln v Cheltenham. 

I still don't get how we got lucky. If I'm understanding it right we should have been deducted points in a season that would have made us finish a lot further down the league, but not relegated. 

Instead we are starting a season on minus 12, potentially ruining a crucial recruitment period. Did this happen to Birmingham? Will Derby be given the same penalty in the same time frame as we have or as Birmingham have? Why don't Wigan have a points deduction moved back a year or two? 

At best, if true, it shows the EFL as an organisation to be inept. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

We got lucky.  

The fact that the EFL is a conglomeration of rivals is exactly the problem.

The same mentality of a football match gets applied to football governance: destroy your enemy.

Sheffield Wednesday relegated is one more club out of their way.

Football can't continue to be run in such a psychopathic fashion. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think there could be some spin on the article. 

But the main point is that had we done a better job last season -12 would’ve been taken last season. But the commission didn’t believe it fair to apply it in the post covid lockdown mini season when we had half a team and no clue how many points we needed. Also, as posted a few times. The worst punishment for FFP is -21 or auto relegation. The commission wasn’t convinced by the bad faith charge so they would be unlikely to apply that.

The EFL do seem very aggressive and treating clubs with money to spend as pariahs/admin cases is misplaced given they can’t get to grips with events at Wigan, bury and Charlton. 

This was my thinking. If the players hadn’t given up last season we’d have had our points deducted last season and we could look forward to next season starting a fresh. But because the players gave up it could mean the next few seasons are ruined for us.

35 minutes ago, andytrig said:

The bonkers bit though is the punishment will always be dished out in seasons after the crime, giving clubs the option to gamble.

By the time the EFL got around to punishing us, we had already been through transfer embargos and had a considerably poorer side to the team we had in the seasons we overspent.

The club are therefore getting penalised twice by having points deducted from a side that's been weakened.

Yep, as has been the case with a number of clubs that have been promoted. The money they spent over and above the limits helped them up but the accounts come the year after and it is too late to do anything about it.

Our breach came in the same accounting period as Birmingham, they got a 9 point deduction which ultimately had minimal impact on them, we start next season with -12.

Just now, S72 Owl said:

This was my thinking. If the players hadn’t given up last season we’d have had our points deducted last season and we could look forward to next season starting a fresh. But because the players gave up it could mean the next few seasons are ruined for us.

Not really true, reading between lines if we had been safe before season restart then EFL would have waited to have hearing later to make sure we didn't get off

29 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

For the third time...

*inhales*

*exhales*

It is very unlikely, however, Birmingham breached by a similar amount in the same 3-year period and lost 9 points in the 2018-19 season which made little difference, the EFL should have pushed to enforce our punishment much earlier. 

The rules make no sense when clubs have points taken off them in different seasons for what is essentially the same offence in the same time period.