Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

8 minutes ago, neo hippy said:

More proof of incompetence at the EFL, clearly just making it up as they go long. All timescales regarding such important rules like these should be written in stone. It's crazy to think decisions involving so much money are just being made on a whim. Wouldn't happen anywhere else in the professional world.

This report will be a very interesting read. 

They should be written in stone. Just like the FFP loss rules are written in stone. Which we ignored on a grand scale. We should've known we were dancing with the devil. The EFL are beyond a shambles but there was one thing written in stone that we catastrophically ignored. Then the resulting shitshow occurs. Just for breaking those rules it's cost us about 5+ seasons in my opinion. Right from 2017 where we started to have to cut back right through to the future where it will still take us a few years minimum to get back to a play off contending team. Sickening really. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Apart from 90 mins on a Saturday or Tuesday watching Wednesday (and, that’s not enjoyable at most of times...) I am flipping bored of this sport. 

Everything away from the actual 90 minutes it’s so bent and corrupt, and I say that for all clubs. Wigan, Bury - even what Charlton are going through. 

It is absolutely boring to watch and hear as a the EFL bungle and mess up everything in their way and the EPL protect their most loved - as said before, Coronavirus I hope will shake this game up - because it can’t carry on, everyone chasing the riches of the Premier League - there will be clubs going bust left right and centre.

My feelings exactly.

C9FF2676-90F7-4232-B843-56DB9D66232F.png.06bc87fb0594674dded10f1e117fef07.png

In 18/19, the EFL would have had to dock us 25 points to relegate us. This is well above the maximum allowed for our crime. (Thanks Rotherham for being so bad). 

I do think the EFL have got a bee in their bonnet with us but only because we broke the rules and brazenly tried to find loop holes. 

DC said that we would be in deep trouble if we didn’t get promoted in 18/19. You can’t say that without someone looking into you if you don’t go up. 

That said, if what is written is the truth then the EFL have to be disbanded. 
You cannot run multiple football leagues with favourites and grudges. 

Cant wait for the report to be published. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, I think you're right.

It's the timing, rather than the sale of the stadium.

I'm sick and tired of those b*stards.

We obviously seen Derby sell there stadium and tried to do same but left it too late. And I got a feeling we wouldn't be able to put it in this year's accounts because the loophole was closed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm not convinced they've held off until a punishment would purposefully relegate us.

We know they're incompetent and we know they wanted to go for us hard... that's why they initially went for the individuals of DC, Katrien Meire (spelling) et al... and also why we had that press release in winter about how all charges against them were dropped. They were hoping to get us done for some serious corruption and bungled it. IMO that's when the EFL went for us in the way they should have done initially (FFP breach), but they wanted the punishment to be delivered ASAP. 

And that's why they "wanted us to be relegated", a mixture of a marginal vendetta coupled with them realising if a points deduction wasn't applied soon it would just get embarrassing.

As it is, the independent commission decided it would be just too darned late in the day to administer our (deserved) points deduction this season, as doing so would essentially fudge the integrity of the competition by auto-relegating us without giving us the chance to stay up on the pitch.

The above seems to be how things have played out, and the assessment that they purposefully waited to relegate us seems a wee bit of twitchy paranoia to me. The EFL messed up their case and just wanted to get our punishment over the line... the key bit is their indifference to whether it relegated us or not, they just wanted it done ASAP to hide their own cóck up it seems and provide timely punishment. Their own insistence that we were corrupt in breaking FFP (rather than incompetent) really made a rod for their own back.

I think your  are right, the “EFL wanted relegation” is likely a media headline. 

They did probably try for maximum punishment with various misconduct charges on top and wanted whatever punishment to apply 19/20 the season when charges were applied.

At the time of charge we were around top six, so there couldn’t have been a realistic aim to relegate us. Unless they hit the jack pot with -21 or auto relegation.

As it stands only -12 wouldve relegated us but in going for the higher tariff they took too much of the commissions time and complicated the process. Had they just focused on the P&S then perhaps we’d have had -12 earlier this summer like Wigan and had to then try and escape. But I still think the panel would have been reluctant a) due to many contracts having expired and b) the misconduct charges failed and there was no aggravated breach to trigger auto relegation which is what -12 effectively delivers

Other fans will point to Wigan but the admin rules are designed to auto relegate a team.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

We obviously seen Derby sell there stadium and tried to do same but left it too late. And I got a feeling we wouldn't be able to put it in this year's accounts because the loophole was closed. 

So who owns the stadium and what happens to the money then?

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

C9FF2676-90F7-4232-B843-56DB9D66232F.png.06bc87fb0594674dded10f1e117fef07.png

In 18/19, the EFL would have had to dock us 25 points to relegate us. This is well above the maximum allowed for our crime. (Thanks Rotherham for being so bad). 

I do think the EFL have got a bee in their bonnet with us but only because we broke the rules and brazenly tried to find loop holes. 

DC said that we would be in deep trouble if we didn’t get promoted in 18/19. You can’t say that without someone looking into you if you don’t go up. 

That said, if what is written is the truth then the EFL have to be disbanded. 
You cannot run multiple football leagues with favourites and grudges. 

Cant wait for the report to be published. 

This

We deserve the -12 in this season.

For the seasons after this we sold the stadium within the rules and so havnt broken the FFP figures

Looking forward to tomorrow , it will be interesting to see if the whole judgement is published or a "redacted " version considering the legal stance taken by DC at the point where we were charged . If it does have some redacted parts in the judgement it will be "Big Bang Monday " on here :rolleyes:

At the end of the day it's just a total feck up on all sides...

Take the points deduction on the chin, get the players through the doors, get the mindset right and let's just smash next season and finish in the top half. 

Time to move on and get focused!!! 

All this demonstrates to me is that the EFL are so incompetent that they should be disbanded and replaced with a body capable of understanding and acting on its own rules. 

This may yet still happen when the full facts of its handling of these cases is resolved. Their kack handed attempts to manipulate the rules to make an example by relegating our club have clearly blown up in their face. Lawyers will surely be picking over the detail of all this when the full detail is revealed. We have surely not heard the last of this ridiculous saga.

If Wednesday maintain Championship status next season will they try again or go after other targets?

There is a focus in the article on the timing of the deduction.

But for the deduction to have taken place then we must’ve messed the stadium sale up somewhere given that the infrastructure sales are permitted within the rules. I know we suspected that would be the case but swfc defence on this will have centred around the legitimacy of that sale and the retrospective accounting.

Just now, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

I'm guessing it doesn't stop you selling it but just can't be counted  towards ffp? 

So it's a double whammy then.  You don't own the stadium and have to pay rent on it which will damage FFP.  Oh AND you didn't get the money from the sale.  Brilliant.

Just not bothered...

32 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

There is no prize money for differing league position. 

So if we apply in the 2018/19 season, we gained £0m by being 10 positions higher, so each club would get £0 each from SWFC

Which is why unfortunately that points deduction will never be backdated... because we do deserve punishment and backdating it punishes no-one. 

The bonkers bit though is the punishment will always be dished out in seasons after the crime, giving clubs the option to gamble.

By the time the EFL got around to punishing us, we had already been through transfer embargos and had a considerably poorer side to the team we had in the seasons we overspent.

The club are therefore getting penalised twice by having points deducted from a side that's been weakened.

• Like 1

Call me naive but as soon as I saw it was from the sun, I knew it needed to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Its a huge statement and there are probably some correct details in there but i really don’t know if its as clear cut as ‘they wanted to relegate us’. 

• Like 2