Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

11 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Having read that it seems more likely the EFL will appeal than us

Agree, but appealing against there own incompetence really 

Way i see it is if they hadn’t chased the phony misconduct charges they would have met the timeline to punish us this season ?  Don’t see how they’ve anyone else to blame but themselves 

I do think it’s more likely they appeal than us though, half hope we don’t , we’ve got away with one and should let it lie 

2 minutes ago, Django said:

I think the only fair solution is to backdate the 12 point deduction to the 2018/19 season 

:Chansiri:

Actually think that is objectively the fairest thing to do as that's when the points should have been taken. Backdate it to then, and we'll return any difference in prize money we would have received for finishing higher up in the league.

Shame there's no difference in prize money depending on league position in the Championship :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apart from 90 mins on a Saturday or Tuesday watching Wednesday (and, that’s not enjoyable at most of times...) I am flipping bored of this sport. 

Everything away from the actual 90 minutes it’s so bent and corrupt, and I say that for all clubs. Wigan, Bury - even what Charlton are going through. 

It is absolutely boring to watch and hear as a the EFL bungle and mess up everything in their way and the EPL protect their most loved - as said before, Coronavirus I hope will shake this game up - because it can’t carry on, everyone chasing the riches of the Premier League - there will be clubs going bust left right and centre.

• Like 8

So apply to 2018/19 season and let's say we gained £2m by being 10 positions higher than with the 12 points then reposition the league and then then10 clubs who finished 1 place higher get 200k each from swfc to basically give them there finishing prize or however it works... so basically by an incompetent efl we are being punished worse now than if it had been applied to 2018/19 so should be appealed . At the end of the day it just proves that the EFL is incompetent and not fit for purpose. so given Charlton  pathetic were not even in the championship in2018/19 they were not affected so they can get stuffed !

1 minute ago, S25OWL said:

So apply to 2018/19 season and let's say we gained £2m by being 10 positions higher than with the 12 points then reposition the league and then then10 clubs who finished 1 place higher get 200k each from swfc to basically give them there finishing prize or however it works.

There is no prize money for differing league position. 

So if we apply in the 2018/19 season, we gained £0m by being 10 positions higher, so each club would get £0 each from SWFC

Which is why unfortunately that points deduction will never be backdated... because we do deserve punishment and backdating it punishes no-one. 

• Like 2

I think there could be some spin on the article. 

But the main point is that had we done a better job last season -12 would’ve been taken last season. But the commission didn’t believe it fair to apply it in the post covid lockdown mini season when we had half a team and no clue how many points we needed. Also, as posted a few times. The worst punishment for FFP is -21 or auto relegation. The commission wasn’t convinced by the bad faith charge so they would be unlikely to apply that.

The EFL do seem very aggressive and treating clubs with money to spend as pariahs/admin cases is misplaced given they can’t get to grips with events at Wigan, bury and Charlton. 

23 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Way i see it is if they hadn’t chased the phony misconduct charges they would have met the timeline to punish us this season ?  Don’t see how they’ve anyone else to blame but themselves 

I do think it’s more likely they appeal than us though, half hope we don’t , we’ve got away with one and should let it lie 

They chased misconduct charge because halfway through season it looked like the FFP penalty alone wouldn't get the job done.

If we had been deducted 12points at Xmas it would have just put us mid table and still in reach of play offs then (as we were 3rd.  That's why they chased that because they needed the 21points to get their desired result.

They needed the 21points because given our league position at halfway point 21point would either:

Stop us making play offs if we were on 71points or greater or

Likely relegate us if we finished on 70 points or less.

Seems they didn't want another Birmingham where the points deduction had no real effect

• Like 1

More proof of incompetence at the EFL, clearly just making it up as they go long. All timescales regarding such important rules like these should be written in stone. It's crazy to think decisions involving so much money are just being made on a whim. Wouldn't happen anywhere else in the professional world.

This report will be a very interesting read. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

We’ve been hamstrung by these rules for 3 seasons now. Yes I get the opinion rules are there to be followed but in practice if you’re an ambitious club in the championship and you want to spend money then you effectively have to sell your best players in order to stay within the rules which in fairness is a ridiculous idea?

I think the article shows the EFL in a worse light than us TBH? If the EFL appeal then they’re only really appealing to get some credibility back? I very much doubt we’d see our points deduction increased?

It looks as though the EFL have gone full pelt to try and make an example of us led by a Chairman who used to be a leading executive at Liverpool? I might be wrong but that looks very suspicious to me?

Anyway let’s take the 12 points deduction and do a Leeds when they made up a 15 points deduction in League 1 and made the play-off final, then win it and then have DC, the manager and coaching staff, the players and the fans all flicking a v sign in the direction of the EFL executives in the Royal Box at Wembley. We always tend to get promoted when we wear a silver away kit? 😳

Edited by Jim
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Essix Blue said:

They could appeal when the deduction is applied. But I guess they won’t......

The way I've interpreted  the info out there (I could be way wrong)  is that the sale of the stadium was found not to be breach of rules, but the  account year we put it in so take away the stadium  money left us - £18m so breaching FFP and hence the maximum 12 point penalty.  Think derby will be found not guilty. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cowl said:

Who the f*ck do the EFL think they are?

There are three clubs that get monstrous amounts of money for having the honour of being amongst the three sh*test clubs in the Prem - and incredibly, not only do they get that money, but they get it a proportion of it for another two seasons after that.

So in any one season a Championship club like ourselves is up against potentially 9 of the other 23 teams in the division that have this cash injection few other teams at this level could ever hope to replicate in any way.

So, make arbitrary rules that essentially forbids competing with such teams and then come down like a ton of brick when these other teams deign to have the ambition to spend similarly to them.

The parachute money is killing the game. And yet the parachute money is essential to ensure the gap between the money in the Prem and the money in the Championship is bridgeable. This is where the problem is. Nowhere else.

Either the sport imposes an enforced (and huge) reduction in the value of contracts of players getting relegated with Prem teams (if it legally can) (and thus rendering parachute payments unnecessary), or it dies. It can't go on like this. In fact, I don't want it to even if it could somehow financially sustain it (which, in any case, seems unlikely). It's grubby, and I'm just sick of it. I want nothing more than to get back to the football on the pitch. God knows I can cope with our failures on the pitch, but this constant background noise of financial rules being breached is sapping the life and force from the essence of the sport.

the parachute payment as to be worst idea going...it basically gives a relegated club money back for living beyond their means!! 

1 minute ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

The way I've interpreted  the info out there (I could be way wrong)  is that the sale of the stadium was found not to be breach of rules, but the  account year we put it in so take away the stadium  money left us - £18m so breaching FFP and hence the maximum 12 point penalty.  Think derby will be found not guilty. 

Yes, I think you're right.

It's the timing, rather than the sale of the stadium.

I'm sick and tired of those b*stards.