Macauley Bonne

37 minutes ago, parajack said:

EH?.....Ferrari's? when? how far back are you going?.....Dont need high performance Strikers to score goals....Just hard working grafters like Lee Chapman, & a systym that produces enough goal scoring Opportunity's.....

Lee Chapman is probably our best goals scorer per game in recent memory. All at the top level as well.

4 hours ago, Lee A said:

Come on lads, if you're a striker you should be queuing up to come here.  

Okay you'll get no service, score no goals and have the ball smashed at your head by Tom Lees all afternoon.  But you're guaranteed to play every week.

It'll be fun, honest.  

Will he be playing for the reserves?  That's the only way he'll get on the same pitch as Lees next season.

5 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Some may argue better to have a fiesta on the road than three Ferrari’s constantly at the mechanics garage. 

Possibly, Bonne's number of games in the past 4 years aren't too different to the amount of games the 'constantly injured' Fletcher played for us though......

4 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Lee Chapman is probably our best goals scorer per game in recent memory. All at the top level as well.

True but Chapman had already proved himself as a goalscorer in the top two divisions when he joined us. His style might not have been the most easy on the eye but he was effective at the top level, no comparison to someone like Bonne in this respect. 

5 hours ago, parajack said:

EH?.....Ferrari's? when? how far back are you going?.....Dont need high performance Strikers to score goals....Just hard working grafters like Lee Chapman, & a systym that produces enough goal scoring Opportunity's.....

If Blades can get a McGoldrick playing like he is then any player has a chance if they’re wiling to graft 

• Like 1

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful

We should be all over this. He’s in the right age bracket and is available for a reasonable price. Also scoring 11 goals in a dire team in the championship shows he’s got something about him.

Steven Fletcher

2016/17: 40 appearances

2017/18: 19 appearances

2018/19: 40 appearances

2019/20: 27 appearances

Total: 126

Macauley Bonne:

2016/17: 33 appearances

2017/18: 44 appearances

2018/19: 46 appearances

2019/20: 33 appearances

Total: 156

That's 24% more games on average in a season he's played. Furthermore, the only season out of the last four that Fletcher has played more than Bonne was 2016/17... a season where Bonne turned 21. Hardly an age where you're necessarily going to be playing every game. Also a season where he was on loan to two different clubs (due to being 21 and unable to break into the Colchester first team) and was an unused sub for 20 of Colchester's games... ie, he was match fit and just didn't play because again... a 21 year old substitute. 

Basically, I think it's really disingenuous to imply that their appearance record is in any way comparable. The only season that looks poor for appearance records for Bonne (when accounting for age) is the last one of only 33 appearances... and he was still an unused sub for 13 games. Available for all 46 league games of last season. Compared to Fletcher's 31... 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, parajack said:

Exactly 

On paper a forward line of Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher and Rhodes sounded a lot better than Sharp, Mcgoldrick, Leon Clarke and Madine a couple of years back and look how that ended up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Steven Fletcher

2016/17: 40 appearances

2017/18: 19 appearances

2018/19: 40 appearances

2019/20: 27 appearances

Total: 126

Macauley Bonne:

2016/17: 33 appearances

2017/18: 44 appearances

2018/19: 46 appearances

2019/20: 33 appearances

Total: 156

That's 24% more games on average in a season he's played. Furthermore, the only season out of the last four that Fletcher has played more than Bonne was 2016/17... a season where Bonne turned 21. Hardly an age where you're necessarily going to be playing every game. Also a season where he was on loan to two different clubs (due to being 21 and unable to break into the Colchester first team) and was an unused sub for 20 of Colchester's games... ie, he was match fit and just didn't play because again... a 21 year old substitute. 

Basically, I think it's really disingenuous to imply that their appearance record is in any way comparable. The only season that looks poor for appearance records for Bonne (when accounting for age) is the last one of only 33 appearances... and he was still an unused sub for 13 games. Available for all 46 league games of last season. Compared to Fletcher's 31... 

Not disingenuous at all, Bonne was playing lower league football and at the age of 22-24 should be playing regularly at that level. Fletcher at the wrong side of 30 is likely to play less games and at Championship level with greater competition is likely to get rotated more as well.

I never said he wouldn't be a good option, just making the point that some were comparing Ferrari's to Fiesta's and saying they would rather have Fiesta's if they are far more road worthy. I don't think an extra 7 games a season when taking the above factors into consideration points towards this being all that significant in this case. Certainly not that big of a difference considering Fletcher is referred to as being injured a lot.

Then factor in that Fletcher played for us and for whatever reason, all of our strikers seem to suffer more injury absences than they did at previous clubs. It may be a cynical/pessimistic viewpoint it wouldn't surprise me if the same was to happen to whoever we sign up front - we are cursed! 

7 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Was excellent for me on FM19 when I managed Orient

Sign him up 

Without wanting to derail the thread, I can't let stuff like this go. I wont sleep. Why would you manage Leyton Orient on football manager? I'm really hoping you're attached to the club in some way.:biggrin:

Irrespective of the level of football comparing Bonne to Fletcher isn’t right anyway. Two different types of forward. Fletcher and Lyle Taylor are a better comparison whereas you’d compare Bonne to a Winnall or Windass. 

The benefit of taking a gamble on a more physical player is that they can at least influence a game if they aren’t scoring whereas someone different needs to be scoring regularly to justify it.