Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

That’s certainly true, that’s why I think we should be looking towards the continent There seems to be an endless supply of Belgian or French, generally of African descent, rampaging centre forwards

Well please send a club a list of your recommendations, as I don't have much confidence in his ability in finding decent strikers.  

Meh.

He clearly wanted way more than we or Celtic were willing to pay him.

He's a decent pro and a good player, but I cant say I'm overly fussed to see him move on.

Dont Stoke already have Vokes and Gregory? 

Just playing devils advocate, turning the tables... how would we feel if we signed a 33 year old, on a 2 year contract for c£1m a season, who's not without a history of injury and best ever goal scoring season was 13?

(yes, I know we have got Rhodes/no forwards)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Guest Grez Bez

Very good player and great to have around the changing room from what I've seen. I'm glad we didnt renew though given his injury record and age.

Cant blame him trying to get the best (and longest) contract he can at his age

Edited by Grez Bez

13 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If celtic wanted him surely that would’ve been too hard to turn down? Do well there for a year and another club would have him. Stoke is a bit meh for him but I can see him doing well there as he’s a good player. 

Gregory leaving?

Given the choice I'd have expected him to choose Celtic but a difference of around £5K per week plus an extra year in the current climate is significant and he may not have to uproot his family by staying in England. 

You say he could have a good year at Celtic and another club could want him but he would be far from guaranteed to play regularly for them, has an injury record and who knows what impact COVID will have this summer. He had a good season this season but has still had to take a significant pay cut for his next contract so probably important to him to secure 2 years at this stage of his career.  

Some right sour grapes in this thread. 

Fletcher is a superb striker and was our best player last season. No one can doubt his commitment to the cause. He was one of the most popular figures in the dressing room and behind the scenes.

He did have persistent injury problems and that is the major flaw with him. But for me he gave everything for the cause. 

Anyone who doesn't understand why he didn't play a part in the last few games is naive in my opinion. He needed to stay fit to sign for a new club, no point getting injured and then his career at this level would probably be over. Selfish? Maybe, but you have to make these decisions for your career. Afterall, we clearly weren't going to re-sign him. If that rubs people up the wrong way then they have to consider if they would do the same because I sure would. 

Overall though, it was the right time for him to leave. We need ro restructure the squad and wages. Good luck to him in the future. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, striker said:

Just playing devils advocate, turning the tables... how would we feel if we signed a 33 year old, on a 2 year contract for c£1m a season, who's not without a history of injury and best ever goal scoring season was 13?

(yes, I know we have got Rhodes/no forwards)

Well we did that a lot between 2015 and 2017. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Some people saying Stoke are up there for promotion. they’ve signed a mediocre Championship defender, at best, and a 33 yr old striker one injury away from ending his career. 

Good luck to him but definitely won’t be losing sleep over it.

It's a no brainer for them , they have £15 parachute payment coming so can afford the risk for a very good striker.  For likes of us and other clubs coping with loss of revenue then it's too big a risk as need cheaper more reliable options

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Given the choice I'd have expected him to choose Celtic but a difference of around £5K per week plus an extra year in the current climate is significant and he may not have to uproot his family by staying in England. 

You say he could have a good year at Celtic and another club could want him but he would be far from guaranteed to play regularly for them, has an injury record and who knows what impact COVID will have this summer. He had a good season this season but has still had to take a significant pay cut for his next contract so probably important to him to secure 2 years at this stage of his career.  

He would have been a backup and a squad player at Celtic so maybe he didn’t fancy that at his stage of his career. It’s fair enough and if Stoke were offering more money too then you can see why he has gone there. Édouard, Ejati and Griffiths would all have been ahead of him in the pecking order.

Fletcher will be a big loss, it’s a shame he didn’t stay but we move on.

Guest mrbluesky
13 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Some people saying Stoke are up there for promotion. they’ve signed a mediocre Championship defender, at best, and a 33 yr old striker one injury away from ending his career. 

Good luck to him but definitely won’t be losing sleep over it.

9 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Looking at his picture though, the transplant seems to have worked. He probably tried convincing them he was 27 to try and get a longer contract. 

Astute work, Steve

Let it go, Sefton xxx