Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hope we can do both. Might be a bit tricky to find a youngster on loan who could lead the line, but there will be plenty of second strikers who have the assets we should be looking for

If our scouting and agent contacts, and infrastructure is fit for purpose we should see some positive movement. I think the days of Jordan Rhodes type signings are long gone.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I came to the party late with Fletcher, he was a useful player for us. Now though, it gives us the perfect opportunity to bring in better, or should I say different. This will be Monk’s biggest challenge, I feel

Fletcher is useful but didn’t allow us to be adventurous as it was always too direct. You couldn’t play any other style of football with him in the lineup. 

Although we only have Rhodes atm, so I don’t have even know what style we can play

9 minutes ago, timrud said:

Fletcher realised what a step down going to Celtic was. What is the point in playing in the Champions League if you are just going to be the whipping boys.

Credit to the condition he keeps himself in - I'm sad we don't have him for next season, but thats football. Hopefully we can spin the transfer wheel and improve on him.

Lol. 🤪

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Fletcher is useful but didn’t allow us to be adventurous as it was always too direct. You couldn’t play any other style of football with him in the lineup. 

Although we only have Rhodes atm, so I don’t have even know what style we can play

Really? Thought for a big man up front he was good on the ground, could pass ball, take it forward.  Not  one dimensional at all.  

• Like 1

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Really? Thought for a big man up front he was good on the ground, could pass ball, take it forward.  Not  one dimensional at all.  

Every single time he played dawson/Wildsmith would hoof it up to him. If that isn’t one dimensional I don’t know what is

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Exactly what he is, we played one dimensional because he is so good playing that role that it meant we could be more solid defensively.

Even before this Stoke were my value bet for promotion at 6/1, even more confident now.

I know it doesn't normally work out that way but next season there will be a massive advantage and distortion towards the parachute clubs Vs non parachute.  The fact clubs are losing so much crowd revenue and heavy condensed fixture schedule will hugely favour clubs with big squads deep with quality.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Exactly what he is, we played one dimensional because he is so good playing that role that it meant we could be more solid defensively.

Even before this Stoke were my value bat for promotion at 6/1, even more confident now.

I know it doesn't normally work out that way but next season there will be a massive advantage and distortion towards the parachute clubs Vs non parachute.  The fact clubs are losing so much crowd revenue and heavy condensed fixture schedule will hugely favour clubs with big squads deep with quality.

I beg to differ whilst I agree that he is good in that role, he can adapt to other tactics.

Agree with your views on parachute clubs, needs revisiting. 

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Maybe he wasn’t, but we were. As I said, I actually thought Fletcher was capable of more, so it was probably Monk’s tactics. Either way, it limited our attacking options, so I don’t want us to bring in a similar type now

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe he wasn’t, but we were. As I said, I actually thought Fletcher was capable of more, so it was probably Monk’s tactics. Either way, it limited our attacking options, so I don’t want us to bring in a similar type now

I agree with you there but I do think we will be looking at something similar, for a more fluid player they are going to more expensive.  

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I beg to differ whilst I agree that he is good in that role, he can adapt to other tactics.

Agree with your views on parachute clubs, needs revisiting. 

I agree with you he is more than just a target man (played as a number 10 before joining us) but he is very very good at doing that role

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree with you there but I do think we will be looking at something similar, for a more fluid player they are going to more expensive.  

That’s certainly true, that’s why I think we should be looking towards the continent There seems to be an endless supply of Belgian or French, generally of African descent, rampaging centre forwards

33 minutes ago, Animis said:

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2020/august/Fletcher-makes-it-three/

Steven Fletcher has today become Stoke City's third signing of the 2020 close season.

The Potters held off competition from a host of other clubs to secure the services of the vastly experienced striker who was available after rejecting Sheffield Wednesday's offer of a new contract.

In moving to the bet365 Stadium Fletcher finds himself reunited with his former Owls teammate Morgan Fox, who became the Club's first signing of the summer last week. His arrival was followed by that of James Chester.

Fletcher has scored 140 careers goals at club level, including 13 from 30 appearances for Wednesday last season.

Manager Michael O'Neill said: "I've known Steven for a long time, since he first broke into the team at Hibernian. He's a player I've always liked; I've watched his career with interest and wherever he has been he has done well and scored goals.

"I know how important he was to Sheffield Wednesday last season and it's no coincidence that they had a difficult second half of the season when injury took Steven out of the team so I think it's a really positive signing for us."

After starting his career with Hibs, Fletcher played in the Premier League with Burnley, Wolves and Sunderland and had a loan spell in France with Olympique Marseille.

He has been capped 33 times by Scotland, scoring 10 goals.

140 career goals at club level is pretty dire. So he's averaged about 10 a season.