Steven Fletcher to Stoke City

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

I don’t expect much but a 30k 12 goal striker who misses many matches , we an no longer afford. I just hope and prey we get lucky and stay up . The signs for the re build aren’t as terrible so far as I feared 

Agree with all of that, I think even offering the £18K that Stoke are rumoured to have stumped up would have been too much for another 2 years even though it would have been much less than we paid him previously.  

Be interesting to see how he does there... if he stays injury free you can see him having another very good season to be fair, just 'feels' like the right club for him, ya know? 

No regrets he's not stayed here though... it's regrettable because if we were in a different financial situation I'd be tempted to say take the two year risk on him... but it goes without saying that financial restraint and recent record of old and "will they get another injury" players that we've had... all the best to him.  

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox

Was more disappointed to lose Fox than Fletcher because he improved significantly and is a prime-age player. As important a player for us as Fletch was, he’s 33 and probably one more knee injury from retirement. Knowing our luck, had we given him the 2yr deal Stoke are set to, his knee would have blown up in the first 6 months and we’d carry his wages for the rest. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Was more disappointed to lose Fox than Fletcher because he improved significantly and is a prime-age player. As important a player for us as Fletch was, he’s 33 and probably one more knee injury from retirement. Knowing our luck, had we given him the 2yr deal Stoke are set to, his knee would have blown up in the first 6 months and we’d carry his wages for the rest. 

Yep^^^

Didn't he go off injured in his very 1st game for us, remember him having a bandage on hid head, and obviously his last game lasted all of 1 minute, sums him up really. Battling old-fashioned centre forward, committed on the pitch, but prone to injury, and likes big wages.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Good player but only players half a season and is too money motivated I feel. Can’t see him playing more games as he gets older . Bad signing for them.

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To upgrade on Fletcher, with someone from this country, it’s gonna cost us at least £5m, unless we can do some sort of swap deal. I’d probably rather us look on the continent, France, Belgium, or even Germany, for a more all round centre forward. That type of centre forward is more readily available, than over here, where centre forwards, particularly at this level, seem to be more static. I liked the look of Meite, the guy Reading got on a free from PSG. I’m sure we can find someone like that, if we have the contacts. It was rumoured we were in the hunt for Samatta, who ended up at Villa, when Bruce was here. In the end, his price skyrocketed to well beyond what we could pay It was encouraging though, that we were looking at that type of forward

If we can bring in a decent free then great. However, I hope we are also looking at the loan markets - a year loan for a hungry young player from a PL club should be the way to go.

https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2020/august/Fletcher-makes-it-three/

Steven Fletcher has today become Stoke City's third signing of the 2020 close season.

The Potters held off competition from a host of other clubs to secure the services of the vastly experienced striker who was available after rejecting Sheffield Wednesday's offer of a new contract.

In moving to the bet365 Stadium Fletcher finds himself reunited with his former Owls teammate Morgan Fox, who became the Club's first signing of the summer last week. His arrival was followed by that of James Chester.

Fletcher has scored 140 careers goals at club level, including 13 from 30 appearances for Wednesday last season.

Manager Michael O'Neill said: "I've known Steven for a long time, since he first broke into the team at Hibernian. He's a player I've always liked; I've watched his career with interest and wherever he has been he has done well and scored goals.

"I know how important he was to Sheffield Wednesday last season and it's no coincidence that they had a difficult second half of the season when injury took Steven out of the team so I think it's a really positive signing for us."

After starting his career with Hibs, Fletcher played in the Premier League with Burnley, Wolves and Sunderland and had a loan spell in France with Olympique Marseille.

He has been capped 33 times by Scotland, scoring 10 goals.

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

If we can bring in a decent free then great. However, I hope we are also looking at the loan markets - a year loan for a hungry young player from a PL club should be the way to go.

Hope we can do both. Might be a bit tricky to find a youngster on loan who could lead the line, but there will be plenty of second strikers who have the assets we should be looking for

Guest timrud
5 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

Turned down champions league football. We know where Fletchers priorities lie.

Fletcher realised what a step down going to Celtic was. What is the point in playing in the Champions League if you are just going to be the whipping boys.

Credit to the condition he keeps himself in - I'm sad we don't have him for next season, but thats football. Hopefully we can spin the transfer wheel and improve on him.

Edited by timrud
Spelling