Harris as a center forward?

41 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

@cookeh; cheap shot by me that. Apologies.

Seriously though I do think a case could be made for keeping Nuhiu but in much the same role as he's played last season. 

Winnall has never really quite looked the part to me and I wonder if his injury has affected him too.

By some accounts Borukov's development had stalled and no doubt the recommendation of the U23 coaches will have impacted on the decision to release.

I don't have a problem with clearing the decks. Of course it'll really all depend on who we bring in.

There's no point arguing with someone who just shouts "Monk's fault" at everything from an under 23 player not being good enough to the water cress on his sandwich being a bit soggy.

Apart from a lengthy run of games when he first arrived (and flopped), 5 managers have all decided Rhodes wasn't up to the job and been vindicated from the rare appearances he has made. It's hardly a new phenomenon instigated by the current manager and one hat trick doesn't change that. 

As you indicate, Winnall had some chances this season but did little to warrant keeping around. Maybe it is the legacy of that injury when he was at Derby?

I've no idea where the story comes from, but Nuhiu supposedly wanted to return to the continent. There's no evidence I can see that he is in any way disenchanted with the club, even signing a contract extension after lockdown when he could have sat it out. Monk made some hopeful comments about him staying, so he certainly doesn't seem to have chased him off.

It's not unusual for loanees, especially from Premier League clubs, to have some sort of appearances conditions in the deal. Obviously I'm in no position to know if that applied to Wickham or not, but if it did, then it clearly wasn't the manager's doing.

But surely, before complaining about the striker situation going into the new season, we'd be wise to wait and see what it actually is?

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There's no point arguing with someone who just shouts "Monk's fault" at everything

Yes, because that's what i did.. i didn't make along post with reasons and supporting evidence.

Yet you have folk in the replies going "played too much fm" and you're saying I'm the one not worth talking to.

ffs.. our fans some times.

Edited by cookeh

Had a good start last year then absolutely anonymous second half of the season (clearly not alone in that category).  He has genuine pace but not a great deal else - he’s certainly no central striker.  At present Penny should be given first go at LWB.  Add to the decent signings and returnees and we’ll be on zero points after 4 games 😎

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Yes, because that's what i did.. i didn't make along post with reasons ans supporting evidence.

Yet you have folk in the replies going "played too much fm" and you're saying I'm the one not worth talking to.

Apart from Fletcher and Forestieri leaving, you blamed Monk for literally everything else. Much of it was speculative and seemed to be a case of the conclusion being arrived at before the evidence for it. Last season, with only one exception, our forwards were not very good. That is not the manager's fault, and I don't see why the club should be criticised for trying to resolve the situation. Until we see how that works out, then I'd say such harsh criticism is premature.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Yes, because that's what i did.. i didn't make along post with reasons and supporting evidence.

Supporting evidence 😂😂😂

Like saying it’s very likely that Winnall will get 10 championship goals next season despite only ever doing once before in his career and since his knee injury looks like he’s running with lead boots on.

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, cookeh said:

Nuhiu was only effective as a sub, and I believe has only scored more than ten in a season once in his career. Borukov wasn’t considered good enough by the under 23’s and the management. Why keep someone if they aren’t good enough.

If Winnall could not get game time with our front line then obviously not to standard. Considered not good enough by our last 3 managers.

Rhodes is an enigma, but I also believe we have never played to his strengths.

All of these aren’t Monks players and have consistently proved they aren’t good enough for SWFC.

Not Monks fault at all, in my opinion

I like Harris but he can be a bit frustrating at times. He looked sharp early on last season but was inconsistent. I think he was a smart signing. We might see more from him after a season under his belt here.

He seems suited to a front three to me, especially if he can sharpen up his end product and he looked surprisingly pretty good as a wing back too.

It could be a big season for Harris, it will be interesting to see if he kicks on after a full season and having played more regular for us than he seemingly did at Cardiff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cookeh said:

Just a thought.. and one that'd been in my mind since before we ended up with 1 striker on the books.

His pace is obviously frightening for any central defender to deal with, much as we saw Murphy run clear a few times when he drifted inside.
He's decent on the ball and already understands how to work an angle for a shot.
His finishing isn't actually that bad, he's mostly been restricted to shooting from outside the box, and but for a handful of really good saves he could have been pushing double figures.

LWB is not the best use of him as he is very much a forward-minded player. Probably needs to work on his movement as it's a bit different in the middle, and as with any striker, sharpen up the shooting. But given the circumstances and given his attributes, I think we could do a lot worse. Especailly if we're workig on a tight budget and need to being in half a dozen starting players.

He can't shoot on target or reach a header. Apart from that....

6 hours ago, cookeh said:

Nando and Fletch were going, no argument there.

Winnal is still a weird one. You say he's "proved not to be good enough", but scored bucket loads right before he joined us, and had a decent return at Derby on loan, to the point they wanted to buy him outright. As with many players in recent years, the problem doesn't seem to be with him so much as how we use him. Obvious parallels to Rhodes here.. they're similar players who in other teams have got goals by getting on the end of things.. but here they both faltered. In the end I imagine Winnall had no interest in a new deal as he probably wants to play and Monk bought in 2 guys on loan to keep him out the side, Monk giving Winnall just one 90 minutes all season in the league, not exactly giving the guy a fair shake under a new manager, eh? Meanwhile, Windass and Wickham's goals combined gained us just 4 points. So is Winnall a capable player? Yes. Will he score double figures in the coming season? Very likely. Why didn't we keep him? Garry Monk.

Rhodes is basically in the same boat as Winnall. Monk didn't give him 90 minutes in the league, not once. The first got any significant time on the pitch was at Derby and he scored a hatty in the very next game. But Monk had him back on the bench 3 games later and then left him out entirely. Rhodes' goals per minute is (i think) more than double Wickham's for the season. We all know strikers are confidence based and that they need game time to get into the groove, why was Rhodes never afforded that chance to have a run in the team? Garry Monk.

Nuhiu, you obviously know more about Atdhe's personal life than me.. but no contract was offered to him, so he didn't have the option of signing or rejecting it. So again he's a guy who Monk has pushed down the pecking order by bringing in 2 loanees in his position and then played both more than him. We then don't offer him a deal. What would your conclusion in you were in Adthe's shoes? You'd be off because the manager clearly doesn't rate you. How many league 90 minutes did Adthe get? Just 5. Bringing in a goal and 2 assists from them, not bad. Adthe's GpM was 237. Which over an average season is 15 odd goals. So does he have something to offer? Yes. Why is he no longer a Wednesday player? Garry Monk.

Borukov, had a good scoring record in the youth teams, and Monk himself put him on the bench earlier in the year. How you go from that to "bin that 20 year old off on a free, he's trash", I'm not sure. He must have had something about him if Monk had him on the bench. His wage can't have been huge, so to deny ourselves the option without him having kicked a ball is bizarre. Who will have made that decision tho? Garry Monk.

So yeah, we're left with 1 striker, who the manager has made clear is lower on the pecking order than a 2nd rate wigan reject.

But none of this is Monk's fault.

No I agree with you...it's  not often that we get that level of football expertise on here...Borukov 🤣🤣🤣