New Barrack Tavern

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

0836D686-A624-4E17-AC82-D07742C160CD.jpeg

Anyone remember it with the newsagent next door?

Yes believe it or not there was a rolling mill just around the corner on Capel Street 'Carlisles' I think. At the bottom of Burton Street on the corner was Parkins shop and beyond a Chippy on the next block.Going the other way beyond Capel Street was the Rose House one of the first to have a beer Garden with kids play area. Also remember Jewel razors over Penistone Road, Newly built, it didn't take long before there was a strike over there; Prior to it's building was a Pub whos name I forget, I only ever went in the once.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Yes believe it or not there was a rolling mill just around the corner on Capel Street 'Carlisles' I think. At the bottom of Burton Street on the corner was Parkins shop and beyond a Chippy on the next block.Going the other way beyond Capel Street was the Rose House one of the first to have a beer Garden with kids play area. Also remember Jewel razors over Penistone Road, Newly built, it didn't take long before there was a strike over there; Prior to it's building was a Pub whos name I forget, I only ever went in the once.  

The pub opposite The Rose was called The Cambridge 

The shop at the side was called Bennys

Owned br Mr Creswell a grocery shop 

There was also a Church / Chapel in between Rose and Barrack

24 minutes ago, Lombado said:

What was the old one like?

It’s not the pub that’s new, it’s the Barracks that were new ie it’s the New Barrack, Tavern

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

10 hours ago, the monk said:

The pub opposite The Rose was called The Cambridge 

The shop at the side was called Bennys

Owned br Mr Creswell a grocery shop 

There was also a Church / Chapel in between Rose and Barrack

I remember the church between the ball and the shaky..knocked down for a tesco and now wilkinsons..ah memories.

10 hours ago, Striggy said:

It’s not the pub that’s new, it’s the Barracks that were new ie it’s the New Barrack, Tavern

It was one of the Cavalry captains from the Barracks who assisted and compiled 'Sheffield Rules' which were adopted by the F.A.. 

Not too far away was the Queens Ground (Pub of same name) but somehow or other there stood a Cricket Ground there.

11 hours ago, owlsincefifties said:

It was a very busy, thriving area when I started work at Daniel Doncaster in 1964. There were several large employers on Penistone Road plus all the peripherals that went with them. Also there still a lot of houses on the roads leading off Penistone Road.

The Doncasters site has just come back under single ownership for the first time since 2ooo ish all been bought and operated by IFA, new machine shop opens on Monday. 

• Love 1

I was.1965 to 1975.In the offices.Starting wage £5/2/6d.

Alternated between the works canteen,upstairs at the chippy/transport caff for lunch.(Once lost most of my weeks money on their tanner fruit machine.

Then later progressed to New Barrack for a pint and a sausage and chip butty s couple of times a week.

Had the afternoon off when Wednesday played Santos.

On 15/08/2020 at 17:15, Lyndon said:

In the early eighties that was a takeaway sandwich shop. We used to go and get our morning sausage, bacon and tomato sarnies mid morning when we worked at Donasters!

Sarnie shop at one point was run by Les (RIP) a big owls fan 

Used to bring sarnies on bus to away games from Norfolk Arms and Acorn at Chapeltown 

Liked a drink did Les and always knew a pub to go to wherever you went

Great memories 

Guest The Claw
1 hour ago, Rivelin said:

I was.1965 to 1975.In the offices.Starting wage £5/2/6d.

Alternated between the works canteen,upstairs at the chippy/transport caff for lunch.(Once lost most of my weeks money on their tanner fruit machine.

Then later progressed to New Barrack for a pint and a sausage and chip butty s couple of times a week.

Had the afternoon off when Wednesday played Santos.

Big breakfast and a pint of tizer subsidised 50p