Feeling positive

On 14/08/2020 at 09:25, cookeh said:

Good that Monk's got some coaches in, hopefully they'll make a difference, but the playing staff is still so undermanned that we're in for a really hard time.

GK: Dawson and Wildsmith are both very inconsistent and Westwood is presumably frozen out for antoher year.
CB: Is actually reasonably well stocked. Lees, Iorfa, Borner, Dunkley, Palmer and.. van Aken.
RWB: Odubajo, who is still a concern. And Urhoghide, who's barely kicked a ball.
LWB: Penney, still unproven, almost relegated from Bundes2. Reach? Who's awful there. Harris who doesn't really have any defensive qualities.
CM: Bannan, Luongo, Pessy, Hunt and Dele-Bashiru. FDB looks good, but he is still a 19 year old with no appearances for anyone. I guess Reach is a backup.

ST: Rhodes.. and that's it.

We are hugely weaker pretty much all over the pitch compared to last season, and that was hardly stellar.
We scored 58 goals last season.. the players who scored 36 of those have left.

To me we need to sign starters at RWB and LWB. A starting CM, preferably a defensive minded one.. and at least 3 strikers, 2 who are good enough to start.
And this is a problem of Monk's own making. If he can't replenish the squad to even the level it was at then he has to shoulder the blame.

How is it a problem of  Monks own making that FF,Fox,& Fletcher & Dave(if he has!) left?......same with Winnall...There wages were unsustainable,simple as,nothing to do with Monk...? He didnt sign JR either...Neither is it his fault over the 'loss of form' Players...

Edited by parajack

I like the optimism but I haven’t got it.

im really worried - I think there’s every chance we’re going to get relegated.

the squad is the weakest it’s been in years and we’re 12 points behind before we’ve kicked a ball.

11 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

some of you lot never learn, it will be a season of misery, we wont threaten to get out of the bottom 3 at any time. Saturday's will be a day of desperation and we will be down by easter, or......

I don't see much in Monk's previous work to suggest we have a good season, and good is staying up by the skin of our teeth!

First 23 games last season?..Swansea? keeping Birmingham up,despite a points deduction? Most successful Leeds manager(till Bielsa) in the last decade?Keeping us up last season? Show us your 'Monk Out' posts from Xmas,& i will take it back...

6 hours ago, eightbelow said:

I havent done any Monk posts out pal, I see all the things you have there but ultimately he failed everywhere. How can keeping us up last season be any kind of achievement, were third at Christmas. I really hope I am wrong but over the long run he fails.

Some very famous names & faces would fit into that 'terms of reference'...in fact,just about every Manager who ever lived....Monk has had success,& we have to hope that he has the wherewithall to do so again!!

Bournmouth Manager,(ex) Eddie Howe,as an example,taking his side through the Football league to the Championship,than the Premier league.He than  kept them in the Premier for 6 years...before eventual relegation and leaving......

Comparing Monk to Howe is a stretch I think. Look at the pathetic performances we saw since Christmas, that is really the only sample we should be looking at and it isn't great. Having to hope that he can do it isn't the best place to be in. Hope cant be part of the plan.

Fingers crossed I guess.

14 hours ago, eightbelow said:

Comparing Monk to Howe is a stretch I think. Look at the pathetic performances we saw since Christmas, that is really the only sample we should be looking at and it isn't great. Having to hope that he can do it isn't the best place to be in. Hope cant be part of the plan.

Fingers crossed I guess.

Its the comparison of what happens to nearly all Managers eventually,  i was hoping to make,not Monk v Howe! but i take your point.From my point of view,i hope Monk can start a similar 'Bournemouth' type revival..