Jump to content

Why the 3-5-2 could be key to utilising Van Aken


Recommended Posts

I have no idea whether Van Aken can kick start his career here, as I haven’t seen enough of him to make a judgement. Personally I don’t like three at the back, but I have noticed a few things already. 
For instance, Palmer and Fox were more effective at right and left in a three, than the more traditional options, Lees and Borner were. This is because they were more comfortable moving into wide areas to cover the wing backs. Perhaps this wouldn’t be as necessary, if we had wing backs who were more aware of their defensive responsibilities For this system to work, it will require a lot more surgery than just bringing in another centre back

Edited by gurujuan
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The main problem we have is, Lees, Iorfa and Borner, all look better in a two.

 

Silly me, I thought the problem was that he's a bit shyte! 

 

lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nero said:

Horrible technical flaws that should have been detected before he signed. You can't train turning or balance.

 

 

Yes you can. You can 100% train both of those. 

 

The Weck Method is one example.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something quite drastic will have to have happened for him to become a regular Championship CB.

 

Could ping a nice pass, but he looked way off it defensively.

 

He's barely played for us in nearly three years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

JVA is potentially an outstanding player. People ( not least many fellow owls) assume players climb out of a box marked finished article.

Football isn’t like like that! Ffs, life isn’t like that.

im open minded enough to give him a chance under the right nurturing 

 

He's been here 3 years mate.. His time with us is up and he should be well on the way to be a finished article.

All for giving players a chance but upto 18months / season and a half, then its a dead end

Edited by Doctor Duran
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

 

Yes you can. You can 100% train both of those. 

 

The Weck Method is one example.

 

 

You learn something every day.  I’ve just had a look at Weck Method website, thought it was very interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

You learn something every day.  I’ve just had a look at Weck Method website, thought it was very interesting.

 

What he's up to with the ropes and understanding how we be with our feet is groundbreaking. 

 

Any age, size or athletic experience. 

 

The carry over into sports is evident even after a few sessions. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if anybody should be able to coach him in how to defend it's Monk. We haven't actually seen him play in a couple of years so hopefully he's improved in that time...puts me in mind of David Luiz but without the FKs or big hair

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, theowlsman said:

 

His club were devastated he’d left they said. Though haven’t been back in for him as his career Wayned.

 

Wayne Van Aken, name changed by deed poll. Wednesday legend.

 

Appearances 16

Goals 0

 

I miss Aero

What happened to Aero? I've not seen him for a couple of years on here. Any can he play wing-back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I guess that’s why we shouldn’t play the system. So few clubs play it, so there’s a dearth of natural wingbacks. Doesn’t mean we can make it work by playing just anyone there, that much is clear. 
I suppose having Penney back could help, but I’ve not seen him in that role

From seeing teams that do it well (e.g. Celtic under Martin O'Neill), good wing-backs tend to be converted full-backs more often than converted wingers. You need the best of both skill-sets - tackling and marking, plus crossing and passing ability - with a shedload of stamina to get up and down all day. I don't know if he ever played 3-5-2 but Zico Sterland is the one Wednesday player who would have had all the attributes to be a classy WB (maybe Phil King at a pinch)

 

Recent tactical developments have seen 3-5-2 get replaced by variants of 4-5-1 (either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3) by most top teams - possibly reflecting that you can't get away with just one wide player on each flank.

 

Not certain that Monk will definitely stick with 3-5-2. It depends if it was motivated by the feeling that we were getting overrun in central midfield (in which case it might stay) or whether it was just to cover our complete absence of left-backs after Fox left.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A worse signing than Almen Abdi

But a better signing than Pelupessy

 

 

 

Still better than any defenders United have got - Dejphon Chansiri  December 2018

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grandad said:

A worse signing than Almen Abdi

But a better signing than Pelupessy

 

 

 

Still better than any defenders United have got - Dejphon Chansiri  December 2018

I'm reluctant to rate Abdi's ability - he was so perma-crocked here that he reminds me of Goce Sedloski: we just had no idea whether he was great, crap or anything in between...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

From seeing teams that do it well (e.g. Celtic under Martin O'Neill), good wing-backs tend to be converted full-backs more often than converted wingers. You need the best of both skill-sets - tackling and marking, plus crossing and passing ability - with a shedload of stamina to get up and down all day. I don't know if he ever played 3-5-2 but Zico Sterland is the one Wednesday player who would have had all the attributes to be a classy WB (maybe Phil King at a pinch)

 

Recent tactical developments have seen 3-5-2 get replaced by variants of 4-5-1 (either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3) by most top teams - possibly reflecting that you can't get away with just one wide player on each flank.

 

Not certain that Monk will definitely stick with 3-5-2. It depends if it was motivated by the feeling that we were getting overrun in central midfield (in which case it might stay) or whether it was just to cover our complete absence of left-backs after Fox left.

No, I’m not certain he will either. To be fair, although I favour a regular back four, nether system looked secure post Christmas. I would say it was the lack of a proper sitting midfielder, that was key to us suddenly starting to leak goals. Once Hutchinson was left out, we no longer had that shield that had enabled us to have the good defensive record we’d had previously A proper, tall, athletic and robust, defensive midfielder is an absolute must this window, whichever system we decide to play

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Nero said:

Horrible technical flaws that should have been detected before he signed. You can't train turning or balance.

 

Ah so all Olympic gymnasts and professional dancers are just naturally talented? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

 A proper, tall, athletic and robust, defensive midfielder is an absolute must this window, whichever system we decide to play

 

Hmm, putting two and two together and getting 22:

 

JVA has serious technical defensive frailties;

However, he can pass nicely;

We're short in central midfield (literally and figuratively) after Hutch left.

?????

PROFIT

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robswfc said:

Ah so all Olympic gymnasts and professional dancers are just naturally talented? 

I'm just guessing but i think that the olympic coaches pick out kids who naturally have balance and flexibility rather than lanky streaks of snot who have the turning circle of a fully laden coal barge.

 

If JVA can do a good roly poly maybe he still could give Olympic gymnastics a go?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...