Macclesfield relegated after EFL win appeal: Could this have knock on effects?

Is it not the ENGLISH Football Association? If so, I would assume that they come under the jurisdiction of the English High Court, and as such bound by its Laws. There is one part of English law called 'double jeapordy' which says a person cannot be punished twice for the same offence.The ignorance of this rule appears to be a plank of EFL.

Avoiding all aspects of fairness or otherwise of parachute payments, an abortion IMO, or the judgement re-Macclesfield,and looking purely at SWFC, it would appear that we have already suffered punishment for this in the FF/Mansfield case, where a player found NOT guilty in court of law, still suffers punishment. We now come to the ruling on FFP regarding sale of the club. A court case found for DC and yet we suffer from punishment by the EFL. The decision on the verdict was sent to the so-called INDEPENDENT Review body.. We seem to be able to appeal, as do EFL, against this decision. I was always given to understand that, if two cannot agree, the decision goes to Arbitration, which should be binding on both sides. I was not awarebthat you can appeal a 'full and binding decision of arbitration'

Unpleasant though it may be, I accept, albeight  with many reservations, that our punishment is -12 points. i would be moost upset were the EFL to appeal this

There are old men on death rows in USA still unexecuted because of endless appeals. There has to be a cut poff point.

Seems to me that the problem with ALL of this - SW, Derby, Macc, etc - is that clubs are chasing a pot of gold at the end of the footy rainbow. The EFL do try to reel clubs in in their own non-understanding/caring way - and the organisation is effectively policing itself -  but don’t seem to realise that by allowing the PL failure payments to spiral out of control then they have massively contributed to the mess the whole game is in. It’s all relative...PL spending explodes, that means player costs in the EFL climb accordingly right down the divisions, through SW and down to Bury and  Macc. Get rid of the parachutes and boot the agents out of the game, get the EFL to follow Rule no.1, common sense, and we may one day get back to the game we knew. Anything else and it will all get worse.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

We may well have,but I would have thought swfc would have made supporters of the next step, after all they put out a statement after receiving the deduction, and I know why we were deducted points. 

Everyone knows why we were deducted points. They told us so in the statement, but I very much doubt they will start advising the fans until such times as a decision has been made whether or not to appeal. Until then, they will rightly stay silent.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Let's just admit it D. C overspent it didn't pay off, he then implemented other things that haven't worked and has managed to dig the hole even deeper. 

Things such as selling 5 year season tickets to try offset those 3 years figures. It then means we'll lose at least 2 years worth of season ticket money from those who bought them off of the next three years FFP totals. Which may not break us, but would have still added extra revenue. 

We don't need to admit it. The accounts already tell us so lol

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

We don't need to admit it. The accounts already tell us so lol

They may tell us that in black, white and fact, but there's plenty on here that don't seem to understand or want to believe that we can't throw a load of cash about and spend millions on player still. 

20 minutes ago, Grimesthorpian said:

Seems to me that the problem with ALL of this - SW, Derby, Macc, etc - is that clubs are chasing a pot of gold at the end of the footy rainbow. The EFL do try to reel clubs in in their own non-understanding/caring way - and the organisation is effectively policing itself -  but don’t seem to realise that by allowing the PL failure payments to spiral out of control then they have massively contributed to the mess the whole game is in. It’s all relative...PL spending explodes, that means player costs in the EFL climb accordingly right down the divisions, through SW and down to Bury and  Macc. Get rid of the parachutes and boot the agents out of the game, get the EFL to follow Rule no.1, common sense, and we may one day get back to the game we knew. Anything else and it will all get worse.

Exactly bud, nail on the head. 

It's like last season when posh were wanting 6 million for the likes of maddison and that striker that ended up at Luton for about 4million. 

Both untried, tested or established at this level, crazy money, but if a team with parachute payments comes sniffing around they think why not they can afford it. 

23 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

They may tell us that in black, white and fact, but there's plenty on here that don't seem to understand or want to believe that we can't throw a load of cash about and spend millions on player still. 

I guess that depends. If we can't include the stadium sale in any accounts, then yes, we don't have huge amounts to throw around. However, if we were not allowed to include the stadium sale in 17/18 accounts like we wanted, but we can include it this year, then we have almost wiped the slate clean regarding FFP.

That still doesn't mean we can start spending like we did before, but it certainly gives us greater options. Time will tell. I guess the two people who will know are DC and Garry Monk.

19 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes of course, the club not EFL. Most owners will likely have protected themselves in the cloak of Limited Liability Company status though.

Why should the EFL get the blame for a bad owner? I just don’t understand this whole ffp b0ll3x what’s point in getting an owner with money to spend if you can’t spend it? You might as well just get someone in who has no money what so ever but is good at business. It’s a joke this FFP. How are little clubs such as Rotherham and Barnsly meant to compete with the big boys like Norwich and Leeds without taking a gamble financially? Then when it doesn’t come off, they getting docked points!

Guest hk_owl
8 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

How are little clubs such as Rotherham and Barnsly meant to compete with the big boys like Norwich and Leeds without taking a gamble financially?

They are not supposed to. I think that’s the whole point.

This whole saga with Macclesfield ought to have been sorted much earlier. Very unfair on both clubs to have to wait for so long and so near to the start of the new season, and two weeks into the transfer window, to find out what division they're in.

Just further evidence of the EFL's poor management.

I’m seriously losing interest in football in general and it has nothing to do with coronavirus.

More to do with the EFL, the Premier League, the FA and football authorities in general. Their focus on making profits and tinkering about with laws of the game, and with rules, regulations, etc. etc. is spoiling the game as is the antics of coaches, managers and players who all see cheating on the field of play as a legitimate part of the game.

Football is done for in its present form snd I don’t think I’ll like the re-hashed version.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I’m seriously losing interest in football in general and it has nothing to do with coronavirus.

More to do with the EFL, the Premier League, the FA and football authorities in general. Their focus on making profits and tinkering about with laws of the game, and with rules, regulations, etc. etc. is spoiling the game as is the antics of coaches, managers and players who all see cheating on the field of play as a legitimate part of the game.

Football is done for in its present form snd I don’t think I’ll like the re-hashed version.

Your Avatar would disagree.......  😘

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

And if you don't have money to pay staff wages or fulfil fixtures (while as a business, not going bust), what then should the EFL do?  Just let it slide until Macclesfield get some money together to get a team together?

Macclesfield failed twice to put out a team in a game in a professional football league.  I'm not really sure why the EFL get the blame for punishing this.  

For me the rugby league style salary cap is the best way forwards. 

It's revenue based from the season before, but if you've been promoted they also take into account potential earnings for the upcoming season. 

I know they're going on about court actions against a potential league 1/2 salary cap saying its aginast the law to limit what you can pay players. 

The thing is the way the rugby one works, it means you can pay a player 100 grand a week if you want, it just means Theres less in the pot for the rest of the squad. So therefore bypassing this issue.