Macclesfield relegated after EFL win appeal: Could this have knock on effects?

9 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Like I said previously

Every club in the football league needs to refuse to play a fixture til the EFL sort there act together 

I'm certain most fans would agree with this stance 

. The EFL are a complete farce 

The clubs own the EFL.

The clubs decide the rules of the EFL.

The clubs choose the management of the EFL.

Which bit of this do people struggle to understand?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

We may well have received written confirmation, but the club aren't duty bound to announce that. Once we have received confirmation, then I think we have 14 days to respond. However, the decision as to why we have been docked points has been given, and annouced by the club.

We may well have,but I would have thought swfc would have made supporters of the next step, after all they put out a statement after receiving the deduction, and I know why we were deducted points. 

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

The clubs own the EFL.

The clubs decide the rules of the EFL.

The clubs choose the management of the EFL.

Which bit of this do people struggle to understand?

And therein lies the problem.

• Like 2

They were deducted 7 points in May for not fulfilling their game - for the second time.

Surely they could have cobbled together a team of kids. Obviously would have been hammered but would still be in the league. Or is that too simple? 🤔 

For being relegated Bournemouth have been give 43mill for the coming season and 2 more payments the seasons after. Along with the they have just banked 80mil on ake and is looking like they'll bank another 35mil on brooks. Watford are looking to get atleast 40mil for one of theirs. Norwich well Godfrey will go for a lot say 20-30mil. Say Godfrey is sold for 25mil (he could easily go for more imo) thats 269million pound injected into the champ between 3 teams and thats just the relegated ones this season. I know money doesn't mean success, look at Stoke but even with them with the parachute payments their wage bill must be twice as big as ours yet they can offer players like Fox better contracts than us because they don't have to worry about financial "fair" play for a few more seasons.

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Macclesfield failed to field a team twice last season, failed to pay their players at times and are in deep financial trouble. Looks to me like the EFL didn't want to start another season with a team that could potentially not fulfill their fixtures akin to Bury and pushing for a bigger points deduction got them out of the EFL.

Well, the EFL wouldn't want anything to get in the way of them kissing the premier league's arse. 

12 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Yes it has. We;ve been docked points for breaching the League’s Profitability and Sustainability rules for the three seasons. We have disputed that and are awaiting the written reasons for the decision. Until such times as we have it in black and white, we cannot appeal, if that is indeed what the club will do.

Let's just admit it D. C overspent it didn't pay off, he then implemented other things that haven't worked and has managed to dig the hole even deeper. 

Things such as selling 5 year season tickets to try offset those 3 years figures. It then means we'll lose at least 2 years worth of season ticket money from those who bought them off of the next three years FFP totals. Which may not break us, but would have still added extra revenue. 

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How do you know the club haven't yet received the official reasons? They have 14 days to act once they get them, not sure they will be formally announcing receipt of them, it's been 11 days since the decision was announced. 

It's part of the master plan, onec we get them we can appeal and wait for a court date Hopefully next spring, that easy if we're less than 12 points off the playoffs, if it goes our way and we're given them back, bang we're suddenly looking at a playoff place lol

Macclesfield repeatedly failed to fulfil fixtures and pay players. They broke numerous rules (the rules that the clubs actually set as the clubs effectively are the EFL). The EFL appealed the decision and the outcome was given by the independent panel. If an independent panel have decided that then what’s the issue?

also everyone slamming the EFL for failing to help clubs like Macclesfield. But what about teams like Stevenage who has been relegated but obeyed and complied with rules, whilst others didn’t. Surely this is a fair and just decision for them?

i think everyone recognises the EFL have faults and the procedures in place clearly aren’t practical. But our fans will literally beat the EFL with anything going, without knowing the EFL make up, without know how decisions are made etc

• Like 3

Why should Macclesfield have to pay their players?  That's a business decision, not a footballing one, so should be of no business to the EFL.  As no game was played during one cancelled match, it didn't affect the result of the match, because there was no match.  Game-set-Match to Macclesfield I would have thought. 

I personally don't think Macclesfield should be punished for not getting a safety certificate as it doesn't affect the result on the pitch.   It's not like there's any history with unsafe stadia causing issues.

The rules are stupid and purposely stopping Macclesfield from promotion to the PL.  Without rules, the game would be better.  fizz the EFL!

Could it be argued that yes the clubs voted for the rules but with a majority of those clubs being ones that know they can’t compete financially with the bigger clubs e.g Leeds, Forest, Derby, us etc?

Thus forcing a majority vote and deeming it as having some sort of parity when in reality it hinders the bigger teams with ambition?

Edited by steelcityowlsfan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bazapeps said:

Macclesfield repeatedly failed to fulfil fixtures and pay players. They broke numerous rules (the rules that the clubs actually set as the clubs effectively are the EFL). The EFL appealed the decision and the outcome was given by the independent panel. If an independent panel have decided that then what’s the issue?

also everyone slamming the EFL for failing to help clubs like Macclesfield. But what about teams like Stevenage who has been relegated but obeyed and complied with rules, whilst others didn’t. Surely this is a fair and just decision for them?

i think everyone recognises the EFL have faults and the procedures in place clearly aren’t practical. But our fans will literally beat the EFL with anything going, without knowing the EFL make up, without know how decisions are made etc

Just a side note chap, Stevenage stay up now Macc are relegated. 

My Sunday league is run better than the EFL. If you got the money to spend, spend it. Let clubs spend whatever they want. The FFP is clearly not working, teams are just finding loopholes. You might as well let clubs spend what they want, and if they overspend, then that’s down to the club. If they go bust then that’s down to the owner. The EFL need to stop trying to infiltrate cus they just make things worst. 

2 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

If you got the money to spend, spend it. Let clubs spend whatever they want.

And if you don't have money to pay staff wages or fulfil fixtures (while as a business, not going bust), what then should the EFL do?  Just let it slide until Macclesfield get some money together to get a team together?

Macclesfield failed twice to put out a team in a game in a professional football league.  I'm not really sure why the EFL get the blame for punishing this.  

Just now, Manwë said:

And if you don't have money to pay staff wages or fulfil fixtures (while as a business, not going bust), what then should the EFL do?  Just let it slide until Macclesfield get some money together to get a team together?

Macclesfield failed twice to put out a team in a game in a professional football league.  I'm not really sure why the EFL get the blame for punishing this.  

If they failed to put a team out then The game gets abandoned, other team gets 3 points. If they can’t pay there staff, they have to let them go. Simple. Eventually they would be relegated and it would be down to there own doing. None of this EFL docking points and starting with -12 next season. Let clubs run them self into the ground if that’s how they wanna do it. But all the EFL are Doing, is creating problems for other clubs, game should be won and lost on points, not court cases! 

• Like 1